Computer Help

General discussion

how to allocate more ram to play game

by trange1963 / May 12, 2007 3:24 AM PDT

hi i have just added 512 mb of ram and want to allocate a little more to graphics.i am running xp home the pc is time the bios is phoenix awrardbios v6 00pg processor amd athlon xp 2400+ mmx 3dnow 2.ghz. display properties are card via/s3g km400.memory 736mb.was just needing to add 10 mb can i do it in the bios if so how.thanks in advance for any help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to allocate more ram to play game
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to allocate more ram to play game
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yep, If It's There, The BIOS Settings Will....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 12, 2007 5:08 AM PDT

...allow you to change the amount of RAM available for your onboard graphics card. Restart the machine, immediately start pressing the correct BIOS setup key for your machine, (F1, F2, F3, F10, Esc, or Delete) and the setup screen will load.. Once there, navigate through the screens to check for the graphics memory allocation area and change it to the amount you need.. It is possible that your computer has a permanently set shared amount of memory but checking through the settings should tell you.

Hopefully, you are aware that an onboard graphics card with only 512 MB of system RAM will NOT play video games well.. Most newer games won't run at all.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
bios settings
by trange1963 / May 12, 2007 9:12 AM PDT

hi thanks for trying to help i can get to the bios settings but i dont really know what im looking for

Collapse -
On This Computer...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 12, 2007 10:04 AM PDT
In reply to: bios settings

...although it has an "AwardBIOS", the setting is under the "Advanced" tab and is called "Onboard Video Memory". It allows the adjustment for the amount of memory you can allocate. As stated before, you'll have to do a little searching to find it on your computer, IF it's there.. It may not be.. If that's the case, then you video memory is set to a specified amount.. Still, most newer computers have the option to adjust video memory.. You just need to find it.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Can u tell the computer
by Clevermetal / May 12, 2007 12:54 PM PDT
In reply to: On This Computer...

..to make a game or a program a priority and use all its RAM on it. OR do u simply not open anything else?

Collapse -
Are You Asking Me A Question?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 12, 2007 2:02 PM PDT

Because your post appears as if you responded to me.. If that's the case, then NO, you really can't tell the computer which program to spend its resources on.. When playing games, I normally restart the computer immediately before playing, then I disable most background programs so all memory, etc. will be used on the game itself.. In some cases, that may include temporarily disabling the antivirus program.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
re ram
by trange1963 / May 12, 2007 8:19 PM PDT
In reply to: On This Computer...

ok found video cache and its on 32mb so will up that to 64.also found display and that has 32 should i change that as well?

Collapse -
Yes. Try that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2007 11:53 PM PDT
In reply to: re ram

But remember that some games like Battlefield still will crash on those shared video memory setups.

Good luck!

Bob

Collapse -
re ram
by trange1963 / May 13, 2007 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes. Try that.

ok gonna give up the game now says yes to memory but NO to 3d video acceleration.by the way did not change the display from 32 mb not sure what this does

Collapse -
Now that's a different error and one we go about differently
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2007 12:42 AM PDT
In reply to: re ram

Your solution while your guess is not what I would have tried. For me I would have found and installed the latest video driver for my system I could find then I would have run DXSETUP to have DirectX refreshed for my system...

Bob

Collapse -
re drivers

where would i look for drivers as i ran the windows update driver prog and it said no update found.the manufacturer is via/s3 graphics inc.also dxsetup do you mean dxdiag? sorry for not knowing very much

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2007 1:13 AM PDT
In reply to: re drivers

I can't tell you since the machine details (make, model, etc) are not in a post here.

Yes, I do mean DXSETUP...

Bob

Collapse -
re drivers
by trange1963 / May 13, 2007 1:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

sorry for not posting details again thought i would only need to put it in the first post unless that was not enough info.where do i find dxsetup?and what does it do thanks

Collapse -
Good luck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2007 2:05 AM PDT

I re-read all the posts, the first post neglected make, model numbers but offered a piece of the puzzle. It would be sad to find out it's some HP n715 desktop which that would have told us all we need to know to find latest drivers.

If you feel I'm asking for details you don't feel are important just say so and I'll unsubscribe here.

Bob

Collapse -
About dxsetup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2007 2:06 AM PDT

As my own rule I never duplicate ready web content you can find with google.com. If this upsets you I want to remind you that all this is volunteer efforts so you may have to get out and push along with us.

Bob

Collapse -
RE INFO
by trange1963 / May 13, 2007 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: About dxsetup.

i am very gratefull for your help im just a bit of a novice (and wish i wasnt)its a time pc what else do i need to try and find out?sorry to be such a pain

Collapse -
Sorry if this seems blunt.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2007 2:38 AM PDT

Is this a machine with a make and model? If something made then the make/model of the mainboard could open up the discussion with direct links to the driver I would try.

Bob

Collapse -
re make and model
by trange1963 / May 13, 2007 2:54 AM PDT

i ran dx diag and looked in the book also looked all over pc but no joy.for manufacturer it says"time"and model says "product name" so i guess thats that then but once again thank for trying to help

Collapse -
One more time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2007 2:59 AM PDT
In reply to: re make and model

You have a "PC". Tell us who made it.

If it's some clone, just say so. You never have told this.

-> Here's a tool I use to dissect a machine. http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html Email the output if you can't dissect what we need to know.

Bob

Collapse -
pc make
by trange1963 / May 13, 2007 3:41 AM PDT
In reply to: One more time.

the company who made the pc is TIME

Collapse -
Oh so close.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2007 3:46 AM PDT
In reply to: pc make

Now the model number.

Why must I resort to asking this multiple times?

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.