Computer Newbies

General discussion

How to adjust brightness on laptop screen.

by Big Steve / May 8, 2007 1:59 PM PDT

I have a Dell Inspiron 1300 notebook which until recently had a very bright screen. I uninstalled some AV software a few nights ago then installed a free version of AVG. The computer since that time has starting shutting itself down but what concerns me right now is the monitor screen is not nearly as bright as it was prior to making changes in the AV software on this PC which may or may not be a related cause. Where would I go to check what the brightness settings are now on this laptop's monitor since it seems to me the screen is not as bright as it was a few nights ago?

Big Steve
05/08/07

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to adjust brightness on laptop screen.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to adjust brightness on laptop screen.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: How to adjust brightness on laptop screen.
by Big Steve / May 8, 2007 4:41 PM PDT

I found the area to go to and adjust the monitor's brightness. I went to Dell QuickSet, hit the "Fn" key and scrolled up or down on keys located on the right side of the keyboard located right below the shift key. Got the monitor's screen brightness back up to where it needed to be which is much easier on my eyes.

Big Steve
05/08/07

Collapse -
thanks for the tip
by Big Linda / July 14, 2007 12:42 PM PDT

thanks Dude! It's great that once posted the solution to your problem. I just used your solution to fix my brightness problem on my Dell 620. easy! neat!

Collapse -
Re: thanks for the tip
by Big Steve / July 14, 2007 1:17 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks for the tip

Glad that I could be of assistance.

Big Steve
07/14/07

Collapse -
thanks dear
by naweedjaved / November 15, 2010 2:35 AM PST
In reply to: Re: thanks for the tip

your tip was of great help and resolved the problem.thanks

Collapse -
thanks
by naweedjaved / November 15, 2010 2:37 AM PST

great tip.thks

Collapse -
lack of screen brightness - please help
by clifftofel1 / February 15, 2011 11:09 PM PST

I have a dell inspirion 1501. Can find the quickset u referenced above. My screen is barely visible. Please send way to find quick set or another solution.
Thank you

Collapse -
I wonder.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2011 11:14 PM PST

I wonder if you could or could not find quickset.

If you need to go get it, it's at dell.com.
Bob

Collapse -
Easy Way to adjust brightness
by ao266 / October 7, 2011 6:26 AM PDT
In reply to: I wonder.
Function + the arrow keys
see
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000594.htm
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.