Windows Vista forum

General discussion

How to add "New Contacts" in Windows Mail Vista ?

by glenn30 / April 1, 2008 3:12 AM PDT

Vista Help gives the following way... only problem is there is no "New Contact" showing in the toolbar on my contacts window. How can I get it there?

"Click to open Windows Contacts.

On the toolbar, click New Contact, and then type the information you want for the contact in any of the boxes on the available tabs. You don't have to fill in all of the boxes; just enter as much information as you want about the contact. You can enter as many e‑mail addresses as you like for a contact on the Name and E‑mail tab. To set one as the preferred (default) address, select the address, and then click Set Preferred."

Thanks for help... this must be simple but I am missing it.

Glenn

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to add "New Contacts" in Windows Mail Vista ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to add "New Contacts" in Windows Mail Vista ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Good question
by mopscare42 / April 1, 2008 5:21 AM PDT

I added 39 contacts when I got Vista, but I see that the add contacts has disappeared.
I downloaded and installed SP1 so I don't know if that screwed up Windows Mail? or if it was one of the updates. I know something has changed.

Collapse -
So I am not alone...
by glenn30 / April 1, 2008 7:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Good question

I have not yet installed SP1 so most likely that is not the reason you lost it. Don't know if I ever had it... seems like I may have run into this once and wound up revising the data on an unused contact. Sad What a way to run a "ship"!

Maybe someone else will have found a way... hope so!

Glenn

Collapse -
File->New->Contact...
by John.Wilkinson / April 1, 2008 8:54 AM PDT
In reply to: So I am not alone...

Out of the box there was never a button in Windows Mail to create a new contact on any Vista machine I've used. Bit of an oversight, IMO.

John

Collapse -
Thanks John!
by glenn30 / April 1, 2008 9:26 AM PDT
In reply to: File->New->Contact...

What a simple solution... that figures but I couldn't find it. Grin

Thanks again.

Glenn

Collapse -
No problem...
by John.Wilkinson / April 1, 2008 9:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks John!

Still wish Microsoft had included a button for that purpose, though. A lot of minor oversights do tend to add up into the more common annoyances.

John

Collapse -
I thank you too John
by mopscare42 / April 1, 2008 10:23 AM PDT
In reply to: No problem...

I guess it had been so long since I had added any contacts that I forgot the procedure and I was looking for the add button.
Wayne

Collapse -
Buttons are present here!
by rameshs / April 1, 2008 5:12 PM PDT
In reply to: No problem...
Collapse -
That works
by mopscare42 / April 1, 2008 10:47 PM PDT

I followed those instructions and and got all those buttons back.
The memory goes with age, but I am sure that is what I had when I first installed Vista and before SP1
Wayne

Collapse -
Does not work for me...
by glenn30 / April 1, 2008 11:05 PM PDT
In reply to: That works

can you give me step by step procedure? If I am opening the right "contacts" folder then the second step does not give me the option to "Customize this folder"

Please start from the beginning so I am sure of being on the right page.

Thanks!

Glenn

Collapse -
This is what I did
by mopscare42 / April 1, 2008 11:40 PM PDT

I opened Windows mail and clicked on the "Contacts"
button.
Press the ALT key on the keyboard which should bring up the "MENU" bar.
Then go to "VIEW MENU" and click "CUSTOMIZE THIS FOLDER"
In the pop up window, switch to the "CUSTOMIZE TAB"
Under the "USE THIS FOLDER TYPE AS A TEMPLATE" drop down list, select "CONTACTS" and then click OK.
Close Windows mail. Open Windows mail and click the contacts button and you should see New contact, New contact group, Import and Export.
Hope that helps.
Wayne

Collapse -
Ahhh... think I can do this
by glenn30 / April 2, 2008 12:19 AM PDT
In reply to: This is what I did

I never knew how to get the Menu Bar before or even saw it. Thanks, will let you know the results when I have some moments.

Glenn

Collapse -
That did the trick!
by Emma53wins / January 23, 2013 3:41 AM PST
In reply to: This is what I did

That did the trick - thanks! (in your instructions, just to be totally accurate, maybe change "Then go to "View Menu" to just "View"). Happy

Collapse -
The thing is...
by John.Wilkinson / April 2, 2008 5:50 AM PDT

That works if the settings have been changed for that folder. However, it doesn't restore a New Contact button into Windows Mail, only Windows Explorer. While that's functional it certainly would have been nice to add such a button in Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail as well.

John

Collapse -
John, am a bit confused here...
by glenn30 / April 2, 2008 6:44 AM PDT
In reply to: The thing is...

Using Windows Mail with Vista.

Following the procedure in post #13 by mopscare42, I now have a "New Contacts" button in the upper part of the contacts window that was not there before. You may be saying the same thing but I am unclear.

As far as I can tell this solved my problem.

Thanks!

Glenn

Collapse -
Explorer vs Mail...
by John.Wilkinson / April 2, 2008 11:06 AM PDT

In my usage that tip restores the button to the Windows Explorer window, but not Windows Mail, so you have to click the Contacts button in Windows Mail, wait for Windows Explorer to load the Contacts folder, and then click the New Contact button. Is that the way it is working for you or has a button actually appeared within Windows Mail?

John

Collapse -
John, where I am finding it is...
by glenn30 / April 2, 2008 12:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Explorer vs Mail...

First open Windows Mail then click on "Contacts" button which is located immediately to the right of Send/Receive in my toolbar.

From there I get the Contacts list where I now find the "New Contact" button in the toolbar... before it was not there. We may be talking semantics here as there may be more ways to get to the Contact's list as you have shown previously. The top of this window (Contacts list) is where I expected to find it. This method does that by adding the button to the upper toolbar. Maybe it is just a matter of preferences in how one wants to get there.

Hope I have not further confused the issue.

Glenn

Collapse -
HI John
by mopscare42 / April 2, 2008 1:17 PM PDT

Glenn30 is correct when he says it is coming up in Windows mail.
I too did not have a new contact button in Windows Mail until I ran that procedure.
Now I have from left to right, Organize, Views, New contact, new contact group, Import and then Export in the Windows Mail contacts toolbar
As I said in a earlier post, my memory is not that great anymore, but I am sure that is the way it was when I first loaded Vista, but after loading SP1 those buttons went away, either that or after a update?
Wayne

Collapse -
Not actually in Windows Mail, though...
by John.Wilkinson / April 3, 2008 4:29 AM PDT
In reply to: HI John

The window that opens when you click the Contact button in Windows Mail is actually Windows Explorer opening a folder (C:\Users\<your username>\Contacts), which is used by multiple e-mail applications. Thus, Windows Explorer offers Organize, Views, New contact, new contact group, Import, Export while Windows Mail offers Create mail, reply, reply all, forward, print, delete, send/receive, contacts, calendar, find, folder list. As Glenn said, it's mostly a matter of semantics, but they should have included the button directly in the Windows Mail interface instead of having users go to Windows Explorer first.

John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.