Computer Help

Question

How to add dual monitor to Gateway GT5622

by KCav45 / April 29, 2013 4:02 AM PDT

Do I need another graphics card or can I use some kind of splitter?

My desktop computer has Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950, and one VGB monitor port with Toshiba, 19C1004 TV Receiver connected.

According to Support Documentation my desktop PC has one PCI Express x 16 (graphics interface), 0ne PCI Express x 1 slot, plus two PCI Connectors.

I like to Google and have a Word document open on a dual monitor. What hardware do I need?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How to add dual monitor to Gateway GT5622
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How to add dual monitor to Gateway GT5622
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The Specs On Your Computer Say...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 29, 2013 8:29 AM PDT

...Specs say you only have a single VGA monitor port on the back of your computer for the monitor.. As such, in order to effectively run a second monitor, you'll want to install a different graphics card, probably PCI Express which has two separate monitor jacks available for dual monitors. They can be either DVI or VGA, but you'll need two. Although there are a number of ways to do it, I'd recommend installing the new graphics card, disabling the previous Intel integrated graphics and using both outputs on the new card for the dual setup.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
What if I usedVGA video splitter
by KCav45 / April 29, 2013 9:28 AM PDT

What if instead incurring the expense of a PCI Express x 16 card I used a Sabrent 4-Port VGA Video splitter that costs $31. What might the performance difference be? How would I measure it?

Collapse -
What ifI used USB2VGAE3 Multi Monitor External Video adapter
by KCav45 / April 29, 2013 10:04 AM PDT

What if I used a USB2VGAE3 Multi Monitor External Video adapter sold by Staples for $56? How should I compare the performance? How can I log and analyze the data?

Collapse -
This Would Work, But Not High Performance
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 29, 2013 12:21 PM PDT

You'll want to leave the high performance needs to the primary video card and use the External video adapter to secondary needs. Simply stated, USB isn't quick enough. A dedicated video card with two ports will work faster and you might be able to choose a video card which isn't that expensive.. Just an example below which should fit as long as you have room inside. Lots of others will do the job also:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125407

As to the specific performance data, you'll need to check with the manufacturers.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Video card with VGA and HDMI ordered
by KCav45 / April 30, 2013 7:51 AM PDT

Hi Grif,

I placed an order for video card GT 520 - delivery next week; also ordered ACO 19" LED Widescreen Dual Monitor bundle; have 19 " Toshiba TV receiver that has VGA and HDMI ports.

Life is good.

KC

Collapse -
Nope: Video Splitters Show The Same Pic On Each Monitor...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 29, 2013 12:25 PM PDT

That's not what you want.. See my other response for better options.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Answer
I believe your best option is ...
by tumbleweed_biff / April 29, 2013 9:20 PM PDT

... a new video card.

For the price of the adapter someone mentioned for $56, you can purchase a video card that has two or more ports (usually a VGA and or DVI and or HDMI and or DisplayPort) and get much better performance. Some will actually have 2 of the same, like 2 DVI or 2 VGA. Your need would depend upon what your monitors support. Many of the newer ones support multiple connections as well, typically VGA and HDMI or DVI and HDMI. You can also purchase an adapter to go from DVI <--> VGA for $10 or less.

Collapse -
ordered video card and monitors
by KCav45 / April 30, 2013 7:57 AM PDT

Hi Tumbleweed_biff,

I placed an order for GIGABYTE video card GT 520 - delivery next week; also ordered ACO 19" LED Widescreen Dual Monitor bundle; have 19 " Toshiba TV receiver that has both VGA and HDMI ports.

Life is good.

KC

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.