Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

how to access my canon printer wirelessly from my hp laptop

by naisphoo / January 23, 2006 11:35 AM PST

Hi, I have in my basement a pc desktop hooked up to a Lynksys wireless router. I also have an all-in one HP priter hooked up to the router via the usb port. I have high-speed internet access thru cable. Now I just bought a HP notebook and a Canon Pixma 500 printer to be used upstairs. Because I don't want to go downstairs and I let the kids used them. My question is how do I make the Canon printer wireless when everytime I want to print something on that printer from my Hp notebook it's a hassle to hook them up constantly. I would appreciate any feedbacks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how to access my canon printer wirelessly from my hp laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how to access my canon printer wirelessly from my hp laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
is that printer wireless ready?
by Melati Hitam / January 23, 2006 3:49 PM PST

if it is, then install it...

If it is not wireless ready. then you may need a wireless card for the printer..

If this is not possible, you might want a Wireless printer server...

and tell the kids for Not using it .. Without telling the kids, how would you know if they won't bring the printer downstair while you are not home??

beside, you can configured who can/can not access the printer.

Collapse -
two options
by linkit / January 23, 2006 10:02 PM PST

Have one computer HOST the printer. All other computers on the network will be able to use the printer when the HOST computer is on. This is not too difficult to do in Windows XP and will not require the purchasing of any hardware.

Connect the printer to a PRINT SERVER, either wired or wireless.

Collapse -
The cheapest way question
by Ladybooker3 / November 9, 2011 11:35 PM PST
In reply to: two options

Is a print server the same as a router? I have a modem and router but on the back of the router isn't an usb port its all ethernet ports.

If that will work will I need an USB 2.0 TO ETHERNET Adapter? Or could I make my wired PC a host computer and have my laptop(s) talk to the PC to print correct?

Im trying to go the cheapest way of making my Canon MP280 wireless since what was described on the walmart site was false. It was listed as a wireless printer but when I received it, it wasnt.

Collapse -
Re: printer
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 9, 2011 11:40 PM PST

Why not return that printer and buy what you need: a printer that can connect to your routers Ethernet?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.