Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How the heck do I get rid of Windows Messenger?

by winner2000 / January 26, 2006 2:37 AM PST

Is there any way I can get rid of this (alone), or am I doomed to have it on my computer forever? I've searched in the Add/Remove Programs section and cannot find it anywhere.

Any help/tips would be appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How the heck do I get rid of Windows Messenger?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How the heck do I get rid of Windows Messenger?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: How the heck do I get rid of Windows Messenger?
by Tufenuf / January 26, 2006 2:48 AM PST
Collapse -
Which messenger? There are three of them..
by Melati Hitam / January 26, 2006 2:48 AM PST

MSN Messenger, Windows Messenger and Messenger service..

Google it ... you will get alot of tips on the removal for each one you want.

Or just search this forum ..

Collapse -
BTW, WIndows messenger the IM, will
by Melati Hitam / January 26, 2006 2:52 AM PST

be reinstall with some of windows update.

Collapse -
gettinjg rid of messenger
by raccoon19 / January 26, 2006 3:50 AM PST

Hi, i am new to this forum but i will tell you what i did to get rid of the messenger. There is the ''msn messenger''. This is used for chatting. You can go to ''add and remove programs'' in control panel. look down the list for messenger. Highlight it then go to remove at the right side of the same line. Follow the prompts.
If it is windows messenger, this is a different one to msn messenger. You will find this one under ''administrative tools'' in the control panel. Click on that icon then look for ''services''. Go down the list till you find it. It is just called MESSENGER. Right click on it and disable from there.
If you want to get rid of msn messenger altogether from the computer you can do this through your control panel then ADD and REMOVE programs. Click on ''Add and Remove Windows Components''. Then look for msn messenger. Untick the box then follow the prompts. This will get rid of it. You can always get it back by going to the hotmail site where you can download the new version. I hope this helps you.
Make a SYSTEM RESTORE POINT FIRST, BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING.

Collapse -
Sorry Raccoon19....
by kevont2000 / January 28, 2006 12:21 AM PST

This is a correction to raccoon19's msg.... If you disable "Messenger" under administrative tool in the comtrol panel of WinXP, you are NOT disabling WIndow's Messenger. This "Messenger" actually has nothing to do with the Instant Messenging service.

The following is WinXP's description of "Messenger" located in Admin Tools in the Control Panel.... "Transmits net send and Alerter service messages between clients and servers. This service is not related to Windows Messenger. If this service is stopped, Alerter messages will not be transmitted. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start".

Hope this helps....... Sorry raccoon19.. Happy

Collapse -
Bollox
by railroad123 / December 26, 2009 6:20 AM PST

I looked in 'services' like you said, and it says that 'messenger' there is not related to 'windows messenger.'

Collapse -
(NT) Replying to a three year old question?
by Coryphaeus / December 26, 2009 11:32 AM PST
In reply to: Bollox
Collapse -
Use GRC "Shoot the Messanger"
by ebloch / January 26, 2006 11:09 PM PST

Go to http://www.grc.com/default.htm, download, and run "Shoot the Messanger". Save the download and you can always run it again to turn it back on.

While there look at "UnPlug n' Pray" and "DCOMbobulator" for similar programs to solve other problems.

Collapse -
stop it starting:
by Kolossus / January 26, 2006 11:25 PM PST

open outlook express, go to tools, options,general and untick yhe option: automatically log onto windows messenger. that will do the trick.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) your post is for the messenger service.
by Melati Hitam / January 27, 2006 1:03 AM PST
Collapse -
It's simple
by erajsri / January 26, 2006 11:33 PM PST

I had the same prob too... All i did was when Windows Messenger started up, I wnt to Tools - > Options in the Windows Messenger menu and then under Preferences UNCHECKED ALL THE CHECKBOCES ... that way it wud never start up each time Windows would boot !

Collapse -
Removing Windows Messenger
by thumperzluv / January 27, 2006 1:34 AM PST
In reply to: It's simple

If you are comfortable editing the registry, you can do this, after you create a restore point, of course...

If you're one of those people who don't use, don't like, and don't want Windows Messenger. Here's how you can get rid of it completely.

Click Start, Run and enter the following command:
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
Note: This will prevent a long delay when opening Outlook Express if you have the Contacts pane enabled. To prevent this, click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express
Right click in the right pane and select New, Dword value. Give it the name Hide Messenger Double click this new entry and set the value to 2.

Collapse -
Re: Removing Windows Messenger
by Tufenuf / January 27, 2006 1:38 AM PST

thumperzluv, That's exactly (word for word) what's shown in the Doug Knox link I posted in the first reply in this thread.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
The way I did it...
by GovernmentMan / January 27, 2006 2:55 AM PST

I just renamed msmsgs.exe to something else. Simple, yes?

Collapse -
How the heck do I get rid of Windows Messenger?
by kbxtra / January 27, 2006 4:11 AM PST
Collapse -
Disable Windows Messenger. This Really Works!!
by chaddy / January 27, 2006 5:26 AM PST

Hiya everyone

I have used this small program for years on many pc's and it works a treat, just click on the Uninstall Windows Messenger box and then click apply. You will be told that it has been successful and you will have to reboot, but after that it will be gone!
Go here to download the file, its in zip form and small to download even if on dialup. http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_mess_disable.htm
Cheers

Collapse -
how to get rid of win messenger
by stu321 / January 27, 2006 7:56 AM PST

go to add remove programs. on the left hand side you will see add remove windows components. double click scroll dowwn to windows messenger and un tick keep clicking next then re start

Collapse -
Removes icon only
by Kolossus / January 27, 2006 1:43 PM PST

If you read the fine print when choosing this option you will see that it only removes the icon on the desktop.

Collapse -
It removes messenger for me
by ankitmathur / January 31, 2006 3:19 AM PST
In reply to: Removes icon only

Hi,

I too have been using the "ADD/REMOVE WINDOWS COMPONENTS" to remove Windows Messenger service wherever I need to & so to say it has always done the trick for me.

So I'd rather differ from KOLISSUS views. Sorry mate !

The above method is by far one of the easiest & safest perhaps.

I always tell people to do it this way & never got complained of it having not worked or, people getting confused.

Collapse -
Just checked again
by Kolossus / January 31, 2006 12:41 PM PST

in the add/remove windows components. This is what it says if you highlight the messenger option:

Description: Adds or removes ACCESS to windows messenger from the start menu

You will not stop the messenger from running apparently!

Collapse -
GET RID OF WINDOWS MESSENGER IN XP
by Current Resident / January 27, 2006 11:27 AM PST

GET RID OF WINDOWS MESSENGER IN XP:

Microsoft has tried really hard to prevent you from uninstalling windows messenger. They failed to make it difficult enough because with the directions below you can get rid of messenger very easily.

Navigate to C:\windows\inf\
Open sysoc.inf
find msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7 in the file and take out the word hide so the line would look like msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7
Close the file and save it
Now go to the Add and remove programs applet in the control panel and you will be able to uninstall windows messenger.
Make sure to click on the add remove windows components button.
Note: You will be able to uninstall other unneeded programs by removing hide from the sysoc.inf file as well.

Collapse -
Or You Can
by Current Resident / January 27, 2006 11:38 AM PST

To uninstall messenger in XP copy this line to start run

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Collapse -
Other way
by jc1234 / January 29, 2006 7:03 AM PST
In reply to: Or You Can

you could just delate the folder which msn messnger in and its gone from your system but i havnt tried it but it worked for other progams which you couldnt do the normal way

Collapse -
That's a very very novice advice
by ankitmathur / January 31, 2006 3:29 AM PST
In reply to: Other way

That's a very very novice advice. Really !!

Never ever remove your programs by simply deleting the folder containing the program.

For most programs you'll start facing error messages at start-up if any of the components are slated to run at start-up.

Further in the long run your registry (the heart of your system) will be contaning nothing but most of the junk of programs you deleted by removing their folders. Eventually the system will get so slow that you'd rather feel formatting or, changing the system.

ALWAYS USE "ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS" TO REMOVE ANY PROGRAM YOU INTEND TO.
NEVER DELETE ANY OF THE FOLDERS ASSOCIATED WITH WINDOWS FOLDERS IN ANY WAY.
TO REMOVE WINDOWS COMPONENTS USE "ADD/REMOVE WINDOWS" COMPONENTS TAB IN ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS.

Collapse -
windows messenger
by rugbug1 / January 29, 2006 8:26 AM PST

Go to control panel,Add & remove programs, Click on the messenger file, and delete it

Collapse -
Window Messenger -
by bkhaliq / September 3, 2007 4:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Simple

Hi ... i entered by login information in Window Messenger. now cannot stop the messenger from auto login. My system is used by mnay freinds

Collapse -
I am not sure what you are asking
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 3, 2007 8:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Window Messenger -

Are you asking how to get rid of Windows Messenger?

If so, which methods suggested in this discussion didn't work for you? What happened when you tried them?

Mark

Collapse -
If your system is used by many friends ...
by Kees Bakker / September 3, 2007 8:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Window Messenger -

how about giving them only the Guest account? They can't do as much harm then as when you give them access to your own account? Much better. The guest account is meant for that precisely.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.