Spyware, Viruses, & Security

General discussion

How temorarily disable Mcafee Security Center

by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / August 30, 2008 8:22 AM PDT

When installing software or playing certain resource-intensive games, I'd like to disable McAfee temporarily. There no longer seems to be a rapid way to do this, but I'll bet there really is. Can anyone help?
-- Dave K.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How temorarily disable Mcafee Security Center
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How temorarily disable Mcafee Security Center
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It isn't as simple as it used to be unfortunately,
by Marianna Schmudlach / August 30, 2008 2:37 PM PDT

or fortunately,

Double-click the taskbar icon to open the Security Center
Click Advanced Menu (lower left)
Click Configure (left)
Click Computer & Files (upper left)
VirusScan can be disabled on the right.

Do the same via Internet & Network for Firewall Plus.

Found it at the McAfee forum:

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/showthread.php?t=213892

Collapse -
Thanks, Marianna.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / August 31, 2008 5:55 AM PDT

Sounds like a Pita to have to do repeatedly Sad
-- Dave K.

Collapse -
Right and simple answer to disable McAfee Security Center
by epastrana / April 10, 2009 6:10 AM PDT

Marianna,

you are right, it isn't as simple as it used to be but ...

it works!

Thank you for your advice and for making our lives less complicated.

Collapse -
Disabling Anti Virus and Firewall.
by confused65 / October 27, 2009 11:16 PM PDT

I have McAfee installed on my computer. With operating system Windows XP. The Computer is a Dell Dimention 4550 desktop.
Iam wanting to change the settings on my printer which is a HP Photosmart C6180 All-In-One printer-scanner-Fax and copier. To a network connection, at the moment it is connected with a USB cable. Following the HP manual I get as far as connecting then, it gives a warning that it has detected I have a firewall and Anti-virus, and that it could interfere with the new connection. These need to be temporary disable for me to carry out this connection. I am able to disable the firewall (which is shown in my security Control Panel) When it comes to Anti-Virus I am unable to disable that. I would appreciate and welcome any suggestions as to how to disable the Anti-Virus
Thanks

Collapse -
Remove McAfee
by 48chevy / November 1, 2009 2:45 AM PST

I have seen more computers with viruses have McAfee then any other AntiVirus program. I would remove it and get a free antivirus like AVG.

Collapse -
Windows 7, 2010
by daniel_oconnell / December 13, 2010 9:37 AM PST

I'm having the same prob-- temporarily disabling McAfee. There is no Advanced Menu in the lower left on my 12/2010 version.

Any other ideas? I can't seem to use task manager to kill the processes, and I already unchecked all the startup options via msconfig...

Collapse -
or you could
by multivoxmuse / December 13, 2010 11:15 AM PST
In reply to: Windows 7, 2010

uninstall

Collapse -
Which McAfee Product?
by Carol~ Forum moderator / December 13, 2010 11:54 PM PST

Daniel..

Which McAfee product do you have installed? When you open the Security Center, is there a "real time scanning" option, which leads you to its settings?

I don't know which (specific) product this is, but have a look here.

Let us know the name of the product, if none of the above helps.

Carol

Collapse -
Disable McAfee
by lewross / January 17, 2011 8:19 AM PST

To disable the version you have: right click the bottom right screen icon, choose change settings, choose real time scanning,turn real time scanning off.I think this will help you.

Collapse -
disable mcafee
by venkat2cu / April 9, 2011 12:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Disable McAfee

ya,i did the same,its working,its done !!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.