Peripherals

General discussion

How should I store my HP printer?

by BlueMoonLogic / January 27, 2009 12:49 AM PST

I just got a new Canon printer and I want to store away my HP 845C and keep it for a spare. It works fine and the ink cartridges are good in it. If I store it, will the cartridges become clogged and/or will the ink become bad?

Are there any precautions I can take to store this so it will remain usable, like remove the cartridges, etc? Should I seal the printheads with plastic wrap?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How should I store my HP printer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How should I store my HP printer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You can try that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2009 1:55 AM PST

But the brutal truth is that the air is already doing it's work. Do you have access to Nitrogen gas and a hermetically sealed box?
Bob

Collapse -
For the cartridges
by Steven Haninger / January 27, 2009 10:27 PM PST

Clean the nozzle area with alcohol first. Look up a product called Parafilm. It stretches and seals fairly well. It's a medical type supply but I don't know if drug stores carry it or not.

Collapse -
Printer storage
by Phil Crase / January 27, 2009 11:30 PM PST

Pull the cartridges, put them in a plastic sandwich bag, store them in a cool place. If really hot climate, stick in crisper tray of refrigerator. Hp cartridges do not have as much of a tendency to dry up as do Epson, Brother or Canon. To clean the cartridge area of the printer use Isopropyl alcohol and you should be fine.

Collapse -
Printer Storage
by Willy / January 28, 2009 1:49 AM PST

If you have access to the original box, re-use it. If not, then use a plastic bag big enough to hold printer. Providing the printer isn't being stored for eons, leave ink carts in place. Otherwise, remove ink carts and store in smallest and sealable plastic bags. Store those in cool place or use a "HP type cap" available at some refill sources or from refilled ink carts of your type. Seal as best as possible. The printer itself, place a foam insert around at the bar to keep prt. carriage from moving and remain at "park position". Place in sealable plastic bag and store in cool dry place. If you like, use descandent bag/can placed with printer to help remove moisture if a problem. These are found at h/w stores or gun/hunting shops. -OR- if after awhile you find you no longer need the HP printer, give or donate it away. Happy

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.