Video Games & Consoles forum

How should i access the internet on my HDTV

by kalden95 / August 5, 2011 1:28 PM PDT

I have a Samsung 50pnc540 and plan on geting a ps3. Should I just get a wireless keyboard and stick with the browser for the PS3 (although I haven't heard great things about it.) or should Iget a Veebeem for the HDTV and connect it to my computer that's in the same room? (and possibly get a wireless keyboard anyways for the second option?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How should i access the internet on my HDTV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How should i access the internet on my HDTV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2011 1:32 PM PDT
Collapse -
Casual Web surfing on the HDTV
by kalden95 / August 5, 2011 6:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Goal?

That would be the goal and i love the simplicity of the vebeam but I've heard that theres a bit of a lag so web surfing with it seems doubtful. Is there anything else thats under 300$ that could deliver a better HDTV mirroring the PC experience? if not then i'll try out the ps3 browser to see if it'll do and if not then i'll most likely get the Veebeam. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
So far, nothing does that well.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2011 1:11 AM PDT

Here the 1080p display has no jaggies or visual issues so I'm guessing some folk can't configure their PC display settings.

But Sony's efforts have goals that thwart it being a full PC experience. The committees get involved and you find them pushing content on folk rather getting a working full experience solution.

Collapse -
Let's just put it this way
by Jimmy Greystone / August 5, 2011 11:51 PM PDT

Let's just put it this way, even a 1080p TV will not be a substitute for a monitor. Even for occasional web browsing, you will notice things like jagged text, pixelated images, and probably slow response rates. TVs are not designed for the same types of uses as computer monitors, and generally content like movies and video games are specifically designed to work around these limitations.

Spend your money on a tablet or something if you're too lazy to get up off the couch and walk to the computer. You're not likely to be happy with any solution involving the TV for more than just the very rare bit of web browsing. Like maybe you're stuck in some game, and so you look up a game guide or something, then go back to the game. Pretty much anything more than that is going to be a disappointment.

Collapse -
Hold on, the PSVita is coming!
by DanielB_ / August 6, 2011 9:04 AM PDT

Given the soon to be released PlayStation Vita, which is at least as powerful as any smart phone (it has a quad core cpu & gpu), it's almost a given that Sony will either use an updated version of the NetFront browser (as used in the PS3) or an entirely new browser, for the PSVita.

Therefore, given that Sony is pushing the interoperability between the Vita and PS3 and will have already invested in a new browser, there is a good chance they will also port the browser to the PS3 (would make good sense, to have the same browser on both).

So, you might want to put off investing in any gizmos that allow you to use your PC's web browser on your TV until you see what Sony comes up with.

Are there any web sites in particular that you would like to use on your TV?

You mentioned getting a wireless keyboard; iIs that for writing emails? For entering small amounts of text, such as a Google search, the on-screen keyboard, as used with the PS3 controller and remote, works very well (has auto complete and I recommend switching to the phone style layout (instead of Qwerty) as you can enter text quite quickly with this layout).

As a matter of interest, although the majority of full web email clients (Hotmail etc) do not work in the current PS3 web browser, you can use the mobile versions.

Collapse -
i'm not all that interested in getting a PsVita i
by kalden95 / August 15, 2011 6:20 PM PDT

So using both these answers what i'll do is put off buying a veebeem or any kind of transmitter and just focus on using my ps33. The on screen keyboard is fine but I tend to type quite fast with a keyboard and the remote doesn't quite suffice for me. Also my parents will be browing sites and i'm certain they'll have diffuculty using the controller. Sites that we'll browse will most likely be sites like youtube, tumblr, hotmail, thechive etc. If Sony does update their browser i'll stick to it and if they don't i'll still stick with it and get an iPad which i have been planning on purchasing but i'm waiting for the new one to come out so i can purchase the ipad 2 at a lower price. Thanks eeryone this has helped me decide to not purchase a veebeem.

Collapse -
No wireless keyboard
by volvogirl / September 24, 2011 1:45 AM PDT

Don't think you can use a wireless keyboard with the PS3. PS3 is bluetooth or something else. I use a usb keyboard and got a really long cable. Or maybe you can buy a keyboard especially for it. Like I bought the regular tv style remote for it. Still can't figure it out though.

Collapse -
So far I stick to PS3 Wireless Keyboards.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2011 1:49 AM PDT
In reply to: No wireless keyboard
Collapse -
Thanks, I didn't know that.
by volvogirl / September 24, 2011 2:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
Let me share this nugget.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2011 2:11 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.