Spyware, Viruses, & Security

Question

How secure is data on cloud?

by Davidatcnetforum / May 23, 2012 2:59 PM PDT

Dependence on cloud computing is growing day by day; yet we are not aware if it is safe to be on cloud.

I don't know how many of you will comfortably share your personal HDD that has fully encrypted personal data on it....

Is the condition with cloud as well?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How secure is data on cloud?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How secure is data on cloud?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Depends on whose cloud you are on.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2012 4:31 AM PDT

Let's say I put some PGP encrypted file on a private cloud server (Pogo for example?)

That's about as secure as it gets today. The top two clouds in the news (I won't name them) are under pressure from some governement's "going dark" concern so you can be sure what you put there is readable by many more than you.

Read http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20032518-281.html and then you can research how this agency has been fighting the going dark issue since 2006 or prior.

The message is clear. There is no private data on the clouds.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
In addition to security concerns
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 24, 2012 4:40 AM PDT

what about if the Cloud Service you happen to be using disappears?

It can happen. The curse of free cloud services: A cautionary tale

Those who use the cloud as backup would do well to consider their strategy.

Mark

Collapse -
Answer
Cloud Security
by l8rb / May 25, 2012 5:44 PM PDT

First, a clarification: 'Cloud' is a recent buzzword that translates to 'Server Farm'.

With that in mind, there are some arguments in favor of a cloud in that (in some cases) your stored data is over-encrypted and split up between more than one server in an attempt to A) keep the employees' mitts off, and B) to uphold the concept that splitting data between more than one unit is intrinsically 'safer'...or the 'eggs in one basket' saw.

The downside is: a power outage in Philly (for example) may mean you cannot get to your grandkids photos, or your latest music mix when YOU want to, maybe not for days to weeks. Inversely, an unmonitored power surge could wipe out the directory file that tells the system where your other bits are, and the fine print absolves the 'farmers' of suffering any recourse.

Sooo, the old latin expression 'Caveat Emptor' (Buyer Beware) is most neccessary in considering use of a Cloud service...might be better off to buy another stand-alone drive for a back-up. :-D

L-8-R-B

Collapse -
Answer
Secure online cloud storage
by Peters9661 / May 6, 2014 1:10 AM PDT

With cloud storage, you can store, upload, share and sync your most important files, folders, photos, videos and many other highly vital important data in a secure online cloud storage
I have been using a few cloud storage providers that are great like Mozy, Data Protecto and Carbonite for this purpose.

Collapse -
hi
by Chooopy / May 6, 2014 11:20 PM PDT

It's scary to think of who is accessing data stored on cloud storage services, and now with the government joining in, data doesn't seem to be safe anywhere! As a general precaution, even though not 100% secure either, keeping all sensitive company data in house on company machines and servers is the first step, and at least adds a nice layer of protection.

Collapse -
Answer
Cloud Security
by AmyMB7 / July 25, 2014 7:14 AM PDT

Hi, I think that cloud security is dependent on how the data is stored and who can access it. Like my product, JunoHCM, we have user access control which controls who can get a hold of information and who can view it. It stays within the company so it is very secure.

Collapse -
Very insecure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2014 7:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Cloud Security
Collapse -
Answer
No guarantees when it comes to cloud computing
by lucaaron / September 4, 2014 2:09 AM PDT

I don't know how long it will take for people to finally realize that cloud computing is not secure.

Whether it be Target, or reports of a major banking hack (as recently reported), it seems that no one wants to wake up to the dangers of storing data in the cloud.

Don't get me wrong, I think cloud computing will pave the pathway to the future-- but there will be some serious kinks to work out along the way. Some of them may be devastating.

I just think we need to be prepared for the problems cloud computing will present us with. We need to move forward and be progressive but in an educated and prepared manner!

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove promotional link on 09/04/2014 at 11:05 AM PT

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.