How To forum

Question

how replace blu ray drive in Lenovo Y500

by hrhmar123 / January 25, 2013 2:28 AM PST

Hi,

I am moderately familiar with laptops and just bought a Y500 Lenovo laptop with an i7-3632qm chip, 16gb ram, 1TB with SSD and a blu ray drive, Must replace the bluray drive but cannot remove the original drive following instructions - there are screws on the bottom of the laptop and I am wondering if any of them need to be removed?

Any help will be very appreciated.

Thank you,

MA

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how replace blu ray drive in Lenovo Y500
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how replace blu ray drive in Lenovo Y500
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I do not own that one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2013 8:02 AM PST

But look around the bottom for any indication of "ODD" or such on a screw. Sometimes I just remove all in the area.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. Read this link. Has manual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2013 8:22 AM PST
In reply to: I do not own that one.
Collapse -
replace bluray drive in Y500
by hrhmar123 / January 25, 2013 11:20 PM PST

Hi Bob,

Thanks - did have the HMM and it is useless - there are two screws too small to have anything on their heads and nothing on the computer but are at the extreme right & left front sides of the drive so I will try this as soon as I get up the nerve because the last thing I want to do is harm a brand new laptop which seems to offer so much fun...

Thanks,

MaryAnn

Collapse -
No screws used at all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2013 1:50 AM PST

The HMM on page 35 or 37 had the details.

"Figure 3. Removal steps of optical drive
Push the latch in the direction shown by arrow . Hold the spring-loaded latch
in the unlocked position . Gently pull out the optional module in the direction
shown by arrow ."

I wonder if you found this or not.

Collapse -
spring-loaded latch
by hrhmar123 / January 28, 2013 12:20 AM PST
In reply to: No screws used at all.

This did not work - it appears there is a flaw in the case so have to send it to Lenovo - they should replace the blu ray drive and the case - time will tell

Thanks,

MaryAnn

Collapse -
returning laptop for service
by hrhmar123 / January 26, 2013 10:13 PM PST

HI Bob,

Just wanted to tell you I am returning the laptop to Lenovo for replacement of the blu ray drive and possibly the case since the latch does not work - it must go to Lenovo because I bought it from them and not a retail store.

Lenovo's service has been very disappointing - I am very concerned that the laptop will be ok but didn't feel I had any alternatives given I am also doing a chemotherapy treatment on my face for skin cancer and am house bound.

Thank you for your help.

MaryAnn

Collapse -
I copied the section on that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 12:46 AM PST

But as I've pulled a few drives out that used such, the only thing I noticed is that the amount of force I had to apply to get the drive to slide out may be far more than your average user would use. And since I can't tell anyone to try harder for a few reasons they'll have to get the shop to do the work.

Then again, there could be more to the story such as a little coca cola splash.
Bob

Collapse -
copied the section
by hrhmar123 / January 28, 2013 3:12 AM PST

Bob,

No - nothing more to it - thea battery comes right out just as shown but the latch is pushed back as far as possible and nothing happens - something is wrong with the case - so really need both the drive and case replaced

Thanks,

MaryAnn

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.