PC Hardware

General discussion

How remove static elec from system?

by cheriberry / July 7, 2009 6:30 AM PDT

HP once told me how to remove static electricity to reduce random mouse movements. Anyone remember how?

HP DV6256US, vista 32-bit

I've been searching & only finding irrelevent links...
Thanks!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How remove static elec from system?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How remove static elec from system?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dead end advice I fear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2009 6:32 AM PDT

Static would dissipate within a few minutes of you sitting down at your PC. Unless you sit with woolen slippers on and shuffle your feet on the carpet?

Collapse -
There's a way to disappate built up
by cheriberry / July 7, 2009 6:52 AM PDT

Static can sit in something. That's what static means. Do you know the process? It was pushing down the power button when turned off or something.

Thanks,

Collapse -
Absolutely.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2009 7:02 AM PDT

I did ESD control in the labs for years. We would treat surfaces, install wrist straps and more. However in PCs you have many conductive surfaces so it goes away in a few minutes after you sit down. Unless you are generating it!
Bob

Collapse -
There is a process
by cheriberry / July 7, 2009 7:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Absolutely.

I've seen it mentioned before. Seriously.

I'm not looking for your view of it disapating. I'm looking for the process. Working in a lab, it would disapate.

In closed box - there is a process to release any build up.

That's for bumping this up with answers, but I hope someone who remembers, notices this post.

Collapse -
Process
by bob b / July 7, 2009 8:22 AM PDT
In reply to: There is a process

Unknown.

Thoughts.
Since you are the source/battery....touch and hold something grounded.
I doubt you can build much of a charge if you have your finger on a ground.

Raise the humidity in the area.
Static will bleed off faster than you can generate it.

Collapse -
static annoying electricity
by derharsha / February 9, 2014 9:56 PM PST
In reply to: Process

hi to all

i am very much annoyed that i am little short on introductions..please bear with me

.after getting all the checks like earthing etc corrected and after suffering from annoying esd shocks...i am presenting the problem please read

<div>after working with laptop for some time and i go out and after seeing the outside work for say some 10 minutes ..i return and

i use rubber slippers as to keep the feet clean......and wen i touch the laptop thats it i get the annoying esd shock and after keeping the laptop in my lap...i dont get any more esd shocks and wen i go out again..thats it ...agggaaaiinnn!!!</div>
i got a doubt if i am the source...wen i test the computer for charge using tester wearing slippers/...it shows the current in laptop....how come ...is the charge in me or in laptop???

Collapse -
It's you and the rubber slippers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2014 12:00 AM PST

That's a fine way to generate static.
Bob

Collapse -
i didnt get it
by derharsha / February 10, 2014 1:33 AM PST

please give a detailed explanation to my questions

1.shud i re check the earthing again?or the power sockets?
2. wen i stand and walk some steps and test with a tester with no slippers ..even then thers current
3. then i disconnect the power...keep the laptop running on battery ..then theres no current...i keep it in my lap...connect the power again and ..no problem...shud i keep on doing it wen i go out??
4.if thers a charge it shud be there always wen i go out but sometimes its there sometimes no...wats this confusion...
5. i say (as a mechanical engineer) mechanics is the best to hell with this electricity!!

i am getting this problem recently...

WHATS THE EXPERTS INFERATION ON THIS

THANKS IN ADVANCE
HARSHA.

Collapse -
Sorry. This thread is more than 1678 days old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2014 1:37 AM PST
In reply to: i didnt get it

Since this is such an old post and there is so much history (centuries in fact) about rubber and static production I think you have all the answers you need.

In years past such would require a trip to the library to find out about rubber and static if not at your usual science class.

I wish you the best and maybe you need some professional to come in to install static control.
Bob

Collapse -
oh noooooooooooo
by derharsha / February 10, 2014 3:54 AM PST

no no i wat all i want to know is is this static problem or problem in my laptop or power socket...as i am experiencing this since just 1 month

Collapse -
I fear we answered that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2014 4:09 AM PST
In reply to: oh noooooooooooo

Since you don't agree, be sure to ask more people.
Bob

Collapse -
Then the usuals.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2009 9:13 AM PDT
In reply to: There is a process

Wear the wrist strap to a ground. Increase humidity (what is it now?) And my best tool. The antistatic mat on the work surface.

Let's hope this is not about random mouse movements. That's never been a static issue. I've seen people try that and fail each time.
Bob

Collapse -
Apparently it's ---
by cheriberry / July 7, 2009 10:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Then the usuals.

taking out battery, unplugging & holding down power button.

So what causes mouse to jump once in a while, or insert to toggle on it's own?

I'm doing it because I'm desperate to find ways to reduce something coming from the unit since repair that's hurting my ears. Can't hear it, but original problem was the now famous buzz (the rmclock did get rid of it). Wish I'd known about that before sending it in. Because now something is wrong with the new fan.

1. It's blowing cold. I've changed to older bios so it isn't always on but it's still blowing downright cold air.

2. Some buzz or aspect is causing ear pain. I don't need to develop tinnis from a laptop.

So figured removing static couldn't hurt - specially since mouse & insert's been a problem since got it back from HP.

Collapse -
"taking out battery"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2009 1:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Apparently it's ---

Now there's a clue. There is a KNOWN issue where the laptop battery ages and it loads the laptop PSU and you get random mouse and keyboard issues.

I consider this discussion almost closed as that is not a static issue.
Bob

Collapse -
Battery not in computer
by cheriberry / July 7, 2009 2:57 PM PDT
In reply to: "taking out battery"

So it has nothing to do with battery doing anything.

Bob - You don't get to close MY discussion. I appreciate your input & if you don't have to add when you don't want to, that's fine. But it is my thread that I started.

Someone may still be able to confirm static process & more, add something about my problems themselves.

Collapse -
We danced.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2009 9:20 PM PDT

All around it. You may have the age old dancing mouse issue and members as well as I noted how to reduce and remove static. If that is not enough then the issue is elsewhere.

In fact, why isn't this a warranty issue at this point?
Bob

Collapse -
On my prior two threads
by cheriberry / July 7, 2009 11:35 PM PDT
In reply to: We danced.

which you answered. I said, I'd sent it to HP for repair 3xs & it's getting worse with each repair. I also said, static wasn't a known cause, just one more thing to try for what has become bigger problems (not mouse bouncing, but buzz, ear pain, cold fan blowing too much).

So this thread is getting more attention than my first one a day or day ago - that had all the details & worries.

I assumed since you'd answered it, you'd followed that info.

Collapse -
Each thread or discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2009 11:39 PM PDT

With each new discussion it is a new discussion. This way the discussion starts unpolluted from prior discussions.

Dancing mice pointers are not fun to deal with. Even more so if it's the laptop pad. For years I've used simple solutions like external mice, no drivers with great success. However once in a while you encounter some that what the mouse pad to be fixed. For that we must deal with the product's maker as there is no other place to go.
Bob

Collapse -
Mouse dancing
by cheriberry / July 7, 2009 11:55 PM PDT

not the issue. All I wanted with this thread was the PROCESS. I added the mouse info because you said there'd couldn't be a static problem.

This is way off my original problems. Please check out the original threads I've linked to below (in response to next person's inputs).... and see what can help with those.

Please don't focus on the inconsequential. The mouse isn't "bouncing around" or anything at some rate to worry about.

I just wanted the PROCESS for removal.

Collapse -
Removal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2009 12:15 AM PDT

We covered this in this discussion. More than one person has told you how to control static.
Bob

Collapse -
No - you covered what to do in part
by cheriberry / July 8, 2009 12:45 AM PDT
In reply to: We danced.

Put not the removal proccess I was looking for that doesn't involve long term special pads or actions. Just at the moment removal.

Obviously you haven't heard of it. So be it.

Please check out the threads I mentioned & move on from this one.

Do many people answer on cnet PC hardware except you?

Collapse -
At the moment removal is easy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2009 2:39 AM PDT

Just ground yourself and you drain the static from what you touch in seconds.

Yes other people answer but something is amiss here. You have the answers but must be searching for something else as a member and I have answered your question.
Bob

PS. My background is from labs where we used many forms of ESD controls and measured what was on surfaces and more. It's unlikely you will encounter someone else with years of working with the ESD and control of ESD issue.

Collapse -
Not familiar
by cheriberry / July 8, 2009 3:32 AM PDT

You obviously are not familar with what I'm talking about.

You're years of experience can still leave a gap in smaller items here or there, such as the procedure I'm talking about.

Besides - you haven't gone back to the original issues. Just focused from the beginning of this tread to now to tell me "I" don't know what I'm doing. You're really got to read the details to understand what I said. No grounding myself to it won't do what I was trying for - there is a procedure, I think just holding down the power button without power. So, please buzz off or help me fix the buzz :). I'm beginning to feel a bit of arrogance coming my way & I'm frustrated enough, without that too.

Collapse -
Other issues...
by Willy / July 7, 2009 10:50 PM PDT

Because you have issues with this laptop already and now a static one, it seems too much is going on. With all this happening, you may a warranty problem and have to escalate it for a true repair or refund. Of course static(ESD) is part of your environment. If you have such an issue, you're the cause as well as the home. You as a person transmit or allow as you're the conduit for ESD passage. A properly grounded modern home will provide a path to discharge if you touch anything already grounded. There are desktop style static touchpads for such use. You can then touch laptop. A "anti-static floor mat" can help as well as using static sprays if alot of static build-up is happening. While you mentioned it maybe the battery then you got a "electrical issue" not a static one. Let's be clear if all of this is happening, then the 1st sentences above applies. Then again, if you truly have a static problem, then its not HP laptop fault, this is something you have to resolve. I have provided some solutions above.

You can also take the laptop to a totally different area(someone's else home or library) and check out results there.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
not issues with static
by cheriberry / July 7, 2009 11:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Other issues...
Collapse -
Back to the top.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2009 4:57 AM PDT

I see that you want to remove static. This is VERY easy. Just ground yourself and hold onto the laptop at some metal surface. The USB port is a good one. In a minute the static is drained.

Now you say its still there? Let's say it is. And let's say it causes your mouse to jump. Here's the problem. As the mouse jumps some of that potential energy is used up so it will fade within a few minutes.

-> I feel your frustration with the jumping mouse but you are pursuing a dead end. Maintain this direction at your own peril of missing out on the real fixes.
Bob

Collapse -
What in the world are you talking about - Bob?
by cheriberry / July 8, 2009 5:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Back to the top.

You aren't reading my notes & giving me nonsense answers. Your even claiming I said things I didn't say.

Enough.

Try actually reading what I wrote.

Collapse -
I'm answering your top post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2009 5:18 AM PDT

You are asking how to remove static electricity which you say is causing your mouse to move.

"How remove static elec from system?
by cheriberry - 7/7/09 1:30 PM

HP once told me how to remove static electricity to reduce random mouse movements. Anyone remember how?

HP DV6256US, vista 32-bit

I've been searching & only finding irrelevent links...
Thanks!!"

Looks quite clear to me what the question is.
Bob

Collapse -
The Remeady
by TRIUMPHANT618 / June 24, 2015 11:55 AM PDT

This happen to me once, although I do not believe it was called static electricity. You hold down the power button. keep holding down the power button even after the pc turns off. Remove battery and count to 30 while holding down the power button the re-insert battery and and power on. This should do the trick.

Collapse -
Increase humidity
by James Denison / February 10, 2014 3:25 AM PST

when it's enough, static electricity will disappear. You'll likely not get the flu so easy either.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.