The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

How old is your current main computer?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / April 20, 2007 2:06 AM PDT

How old is your current main computer?

- It's brand-spanking-new (What do you have?)
- Less than a year old (What do you have?)
- 1 year (What do you have?)
- 2 years (What do you have?)
- 3 years (What do you have?)
- 4 years (What do you have?)
- 5 years (What do you have?)
- 6 or more years (What do you have?)
- It's so old I'm embarrassed to say (What do you have?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How old is your current main computer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How old is your current main computer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dinosaur Computer
by sarrge / April 20, 2007 11:54 AM PDT

I have a DELL Dimension 8250; I think it's about 8 years old, more or less. Still works OK for me; I have a DSL internet provider. My son thinks I really need to get a new set-up. Any friendly suggestions are welcome.

Collapse -
HP Makes a excellent Core2 Duo PC
by mmayer54 / April 20, 2007 12:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Dinosaur Computer

Dear Dinosaur Computer,
Best Buy and Frys sell a HP Model 1740 for about $650. It has a super speedy Core2Duo processor, 1GB off DDR2 memory, 320GB Hard drive, and 16X DVD-RW drive. Very good value.
You can add a 19" widescreen LCD monitor for another $199

Collapse -
3yr old Dell or is it 1.5 years old???
by barkeypf / April 20, 2007 12:48 PM PDT

I am using a Dell Demension 4700. It's the 2nd one . The 1st one broke and was replaced by Dell after over a month of hassel & 3 in house service calls. Wrong parts poor tech's. I lost track of exactly how many hours spent on the phone with tech support. I stopped counting after I hit 18 hours on the phone mostly on hold. My suggestion as to what to replace your 8 yr old computer with is simple ANY THING BUT DELL.

Collapse -
Dell Computers
by rwalk / April 22, 2007 11:55 AM PDT

I have an 8100,8200,xps gen5,new 1510 laptop,an old inspiron laptop.All DELLS I have had some problems with the 8200 and the XPS GEN 5,but all were solved with no problem.I will say the American techs are much better at solving any problem than the offshore techs if you can call them that.
I have had very good luck with Dell,all of these machines still work some are just a little old.

Collapse -
Go with the 6400
by x.killeddestiny.x / April 20, 2007 2:13 PM PDT

I haven't really actualy used Vista to give a clear opinion on it. However if you get better specs with the 6400 go with that I have two friends with vista one hates it and is considering buying an xp disc and the other has it on his computer with xp and never uses Vista. It's just to new right now to really use and its probably better to upgrade after they come out with service packs. However someone elses advice is probably better then mine.

Collapse -
Windows Vista
by bunnieslanding / April 21, 2007 6:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Go with the 6400

I have had the unfortunate opportunity to try Vista. The first week I was on with Dell technicians more then I ever was with my old one. I finally sent it back and had a new hard drive put in my old Dimension 4550 XP. It works great and I don't know if I will upgrade to Vista until the bugs are worked out. That will probably be in 4 to 5 years according to the guy who fixed my old one.

Collapse -
my computer
by winsoftwareman / April 26, 2007 2:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows Vista

i got a lenovo 3000 j in febuary with a AMD 64 Atholon Dual-core with Windows Vista Home Premuim. It goes really fast. Vista did not impress me.

Collapse -
how old
by Savile Burdett / April 20, 2007 6:14 PM PDT

We still have a computer running on Windows 3.1 and unfortunately that is too modern for my pcb design programme which uses MS Dos 6.22
Savile

Collapse -
Computer Age
by fliptail / April 20, 2007 11:56 AM PDT

My computer is 4 years old but then I keep it well upgraded and updated. Spending a little extra money when buying a MOBO that has features beyond the el cheapos pays off. They allow you to expand memory, add new and better video and sound cards, and with good BIO upgrades keeps you in the loop. Usually after 5 years i start looking at other MOBO's and yes I build my own computers and servers, use both Windows and Linux. Also, cleaning is very important. I still have a old COMPAQ that I use as a Linux server that is around 7 or 8 years old, works great, but with Linux you do not need the extra power to run a server like one would need running a windows server. I have 7 copies of Windows XP licenses because I would never upgrade or buy Vista. No OS is going to tell me what I can play on it specially with DRM and only windows has it on their operating systems specially in Vista. I copy DRM free music so i can play them in any cd environment and in my car. Windows Vista does not give me that opportunity.

Collapse -
4 Years Old.... Building a new one soon
by mmayer54 / April 20, 2007 12:17 PM PDT

I have an AMD Athlon XP2500 1833mhz, 2 GB of PC3200 DDR, ATI Radeon 9600 PRO 128MB Graphics, and 450 GB (200 & 250GB) IDE Hard Drives, a 4X DVD-RW & a 16X DVD+/-RW drives, and Windows XP.
I do lots of VIDEO ENCODING and my PC is very sluggish when I try to "multi-task & encode at the same time. Enter "DUAL CORE"!!!!

I just picked up the following components: Intel E4300 Core2 Duo cpu, a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Mobo, 2GB of PC6400 Extreme Performance DDR2,
a new MSI Geforce 8600GT 256MB(Overclocked)DX10 video card, a 500GB SATA/II Hard Drive, and an Antec "SmartPower 2.0" 500watt power supply. That cpu/mobo combo can be safely overclocked to 3GHZ with stock fan.Total cost around $700.....for $1500 worth of performance!

Collapse -
How old is your curent main computer?
by edbrady / April 20, 2007 12:27 PM PDT

As much as I detest it, I have an eMacHines W3118. At the time, it was what I could afford. I've had it less then a year. And I've fought with it every step of the way.

As usual, it came with all sorts of bundled software I had no use for. I finally managed to get MOST of it out, but I'm sure there are things lurking I haven't been able to find.

Next time, if I have the funds, I'll build one for myself!

Collapse -
Kinda old
by rovingardener / April 20, 2007 12:34 PM PDT

Got an Athlon 1700+ based rig. Will build new this year. Am going AM2 board ASUS,maybe SLI,maybe L1207.

I just bought a DVD burner so that goes with, but everything else will be new including the case; so many now are just damned cool.

Collapse -
How old is my "Main PC"?
by jaytmoon / April 20, 2007 12:40 PM PDT

My Main system (in age) is 2.5 years old. A P4 3.2, 2Gb DDR, 700GB HDD space, Win XP Pro, BFG Geforce 6800 GT OC. However, I just replaced the Mainboard 2 months ago as once of the capacitors began to fail causing a slew of grief. Lockups, no warm restarts, data corruption etc. After extensive tests, (memory, power supply and replacement of the ups), With a new MB in place its running fine.
My back up PC is a dual core athlon x4200 with 2Gb ddr, a pair of ati x1600 pro 512MB video cards in crossfire mode with 2 200GB sata HDD in raid along with a 300Gb ide drive for "storage" (mainly a gaming system).
Don't tell the P4, but its being replace with a Core2 duo in a few weeks along with Vista Ultimate.

Collapse -
CORE 2 is the way to GO!
by mmayer54 / April 20, 2007 12:51 PM PDT

I've been a big AMD guy for the last 6 years, however, Intel FINALLY hit the mark with the CORE2 DUO line of CPU's. Built on 65nm chip, they run real cool and lowest clock ones (E4300 & E6300) OVERCLOCK about 70%!!!!! The slowest Core2 rivals the Athlon 64X2's fastest chips, and, clock-for-clock "BLOWS THEM AWAY!!!!)

Check out the benchmarks at this link:
www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2903 - 37k - Apr 19, 2007 -

Collapse -
new
by coolthoughts / September 7, 2008 8:43 PM PDT

I have a brand new notebook and my old PC has about 2 years

Collapse -
28months and counting...home built desktop
by casaraku / April 20, 2007 1:11 PM PDT

With a friend, We put together an Athlon XP 28oo with ASUS mobo and other quality pieces (not high end)as i do not play games....but now with a lot of media out there really making use of broadband, things are beginning to slow down.... my multitasking is less so....
I am going to a laptop/notebook but i am hesitant because if you get a lemon, it can be a problem.... with a desktop, if a video card is scrap, one can easily open the rig and swap it....add memory yourself, etc....

Collapse -
Dell Optiplex GX-620
by BoBraxton / April 22, 2007 9:51 PM PDT

Dell Optiplex GX-620
2 GB RAM
Windows XP Professional (at work)
1 year old

Collapse -
Age of computer
by Royel91 / April 20, 2007 1:11 PM PDT

I have Dell XPS8400 9 years old; 4550 is 6 years old;Inspiron 3800 5 years old. My grandchildren use oldest computer. I am satisfied with the 4550. I dislike laptops.

Collapse -
Not a dinosaur....yet
by Urkel. / April 21, 2007 8:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Age of computer

I've got a homebuilt system with the following:

Gigsbyte GA-965P-S3 Motherboard
Intel P4 630 CPU
1Gb (2X512Mb) Corsair PC5300 DDR2 Ram
1Gb Kingston (2X512Mb) PC5300 DDR2 Ram
ATI X1650Pro PCI-e Video Card
Memorex 52X CD-RW
Memorex 16X DL DVD-RW
Antec SP-500 PSU
Cooler Master Centurion 5 Mid-tower case

Most of the system is about a year and a half old, except for the motherboard which is only 3 months old. I did the mobo swap so I could upgrade to C2D in the future.

Collapse -
Sony Vaio Desktop
by rjfitze / April 20, 2007 1:21 PM PDT

I have a Sony Vaio Desktop computer and love it! It's only a year old.

Collapse -
MY PC problems
by neo1rocks / April 21, 2007 5:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony Vaio Desktop

hi,

I have a P4 1.8 GHz, with Mercury board, Intel 845G chipset, 512 Mb ram. Til late, my system never gave me any hardware issue, but off late, I am getting flickering on my monitor, then recently after formmating my system, on installing Display drivers the system hangs after booting up. Its working fine with thte default drivers that load normally, but I get videos clipped frame by frame on full screen mode. Now im also getting problem with my USB ports, which are not detecting the usb devices. Lastly, system has stopped booting up now, even upto bios screen also. Im in a big mess, unable to understand what to do next, pls dnt say recycle.... ny solutions will be welcome...

Collapse -
6 years or more
by eangels55 / April 20, 2007 1:30 PM PDT

I have a HP Desktop Pavilion 310n and still runs great!

Collapse -
Brand new
by Ccrashca069 / April 20, 2007 1:39 PM PDT

I bought a Gateway GM5266E first week in January. It has the 2 gigs of ram, Nvidia GS7600 vidie card and its a Intel Due Core 2.18. I feel it is a great computer. My next desktop will either be a Gateway or a Sony unless I build it myself.

Collapse -
got this one in 1992 so this baby is 15years old
by vera64jaggers / April 20, 2007 1:41 PM PDT

I am working on an hewlett packard HP PAVILLION it's still holding up pretty darn good wish i had more drive space 192 ram is small and slow but considering what all i've done on this thing for all these years. the only extra i have done besides clean booting xp is added a memory card.....and blow out the dust...... i defrag regularly with EACCELERATION program and stop protects me. i have it all going great with high speed cable connection i boot almost as fast as my mothers brand new dell... graphic are slower but are better on mine and she has a fancy system....

Collapse -
How old is your current main computer
by afro2358 / April 20, 2007 1:46 PM PDT

I have a Dell XPS GEN 3. It's 3yrs old, it's a Pentium 4 CPU 3.40GHz, with a 4.00GB of RAM,and 160GB hard drive. It's currently using Windows XP Home Edition. Last month, i did installed Windows Vista Home Premium on my computer and i just recently uninstalled it (too much problems). I remember when i had an old computer with Windows 98 and i upgraded to Windows XP, no problems, but with Windows Vista, "WHAT A PIECE OF JUNK!!!" Microsoft or Bill Gates for that matter sucked alot of people (including me), and got paid doing it. My Desktop is being used "Wireless" with a Netgear WPN111 2.0 adapter,i also have a 20" flat panel Wide Screen LCD, a Dell wireless Keyboard and Mouse and i also have 5 Dell speakers and one Sub woofer. My PC is running "Great" again since i removed Windows Vista.

Collapse -
Upgrades, upgrades, upgrades.
by kovu159 / April 20, 2007 1:50 PM PDT

My computer itself is quite old. When I bought it four years ago, I made sure I bought the top of the line at the time. It's a Compaq Presario 6000, with a 2.6 Ghz Pentium IV. Over the years, though, I've done a ton of upgrades, with hard drives, video cards, RAM, ect. It's possible to keep a system alive for quite awhile this way!

Collapse -
My PC is more than five yeaes old and runs as good new.
by bokononism / April 20, 2007 1:58 PM PDT

I built my PC from components sold and recommended by a local retail outlet. (Here's a plug for them) "The Discshop" is the outlet I choose , but I am sure there are others, look in the phone book! Be sure they employ salesmen and tech's who will discuss your needs and suggest the components you will need to fullfil those needs. Then you can either put it together yourself, my choice, or their tech's will assemble it for a nominal charge.
My machine is more than five years old and still runs as good as new, and the only changes I have made, I have increased my RAM and upgraded my monitor. Good "Housekeeping" is a priority. You need one or more good registry cleaners and you need to keep your temporary files and cookies cleaned out. There are lots of free programs such as "Cleenup" which you can download. You should defrag regularly and get rid of any programs you are no longer using. Don't throw away those programs because you may decide to reinstall at some future time.
I hope this might help. I don't have the resources to upgrade my PC too often so keeping this one in good order makes good sense!!!
Cheers.......Kubbin

Collapse -
Old as the Hills
by MAJ790HAN / April 20, 2007 2:05 PM PDT

I have a Gateway Performance 550 (PIII 550MHz)which turns 8 years old June 30th. It's still running Windows 98SE! I've twice replaced the original 13 GB hard drive - first with a 40 GB drive in 2003, then with an 80 GB drive in 2005. The 40 GB drive is now the 2nd drive in the system. The original ATA-66 disk controller was replaced with an ATA-133 controller. It made a world of difference in speed (naturally!) The only thing I truly dislike about this machine is the EXTREMELY LOUD power supply fan. I purchased several replacements that were as loud as the original one. Eventually, I plan to replace this system with an iMac running Parallels so I can run Windows XP (not touching Vista for now) and MAC OS X.

Collapse -
My old computer....
by GFW / April 20, 2007 2:08 PM PDT

My main desktop machine is a Mac Blue&White G3, at least about 6 years old. It was originally 300 or 350 MHz, but has been upgraded to 900 MHz. It originally had USB 1.1 but I have added a 4-port USB 2.0 card. I have upgraded the original ATI graphics with an ATI Radeon 9200 that I bought at a clearance sale for $40. I am getting by with 768 Mb of Ram. I also added a SCSI card so I can run a film scanner. It has seen its last update - but then I said that before I ran across the Radeon card!

Collapse -
Shakedown Cruise
by dburr13 / April 20, 2007 2:10 PM PDT

My main computer is a new HP Pavilion laptop...AMD Turion 64 x2...1GB RAM...120GB HDD...running Windows Vista...I wanted to buy a new computer a few months earlier...but decided to wait for Vista...It's like being on a shakedown cruise...waiting for something bad to happen...But so far no show stoppers...I'm very pleased with this computers performance so far.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.