The CNET Lounge

General discussion

How often do you delete your temp Internet files & cookies?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / July 6, 2006 4:28 AM PDT

How often do you delete your temporary Internet files and cookies (and why)?

Every day
Once a week
Once a month
Couple of times a year
Whenever I feel my system needs a cleaning
Never; what's the point?
Delete what?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How often do you delete your temp Internet files & cookies?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How often do you delete your temp Internet files & cookies?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Several times a day...

I have customized Firefox to allow only the required cookies from select sites, filtering out tracking cookies and other unnecessary additions. I have also used AdBlock Plus, my HOSTS file, and other methods to block the domains responsible for advertisements. That not only keeps the ads from being displayed, but from the files from being stored on my computer, minimizing the eye-sore and the wasted space.

However, I still have Firefox set to erase browser history, cookies, autocomplete information, etc automatically when the browser closes, as well as upon my request. Why? I drowse dozens of new sites a day and accumulate a lot of junk. In addition, I don't like the idea of going to a website and having them know the last 20 sites I visited. Call it overkill, but I take my privacy and security very seriously.

John

Collapse -
when it need it
by jc1234 / July 6, 2006 8:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Several times a day...

i run ccleaner when it feels like it has personal information on it or just need s cleaning.

Collapse -
Why would you want Cookies????
by dan402 / July 7, 2006 1:27 AM PDT

I leave no trails by hiding most of my octets, I like a number of others, automatically have firefox empty everything when I shut my browser down. I'm not on a public machine, but if I was I definitely don't want everyone knowing where I've been or what I've done...safety and maybe paranoia is how I see the deleting of all extraneous junk!

Collapse -
Several Times a Day
by RiCksterjs / July 9, 2006 12:24 AM PDT

-- curious activity --. Sounds dubious at the least. I Set a caching limit in the browser to 1mb. XP firewall, and Pop-up Blocker, nothing else is needed. I never dump cookies. I have more than 4 years worth of cookies on my system. Why do I care if some website "might" be able to track where or when i might be browsing. I'm not doing anything illegal or immoral. All spam is deleted at the webmail gateway and deleted automatically. Periodically I run Disk Cleanup. No third party software is required for either of these functions. It is beneficial to occassionally run a scan with a new version of MS Defender, just to see if something has managed to get onto my system. SpyBot14 is a good idea, but not essential. Definitely have a good basic Anti-Virus, like Avast4-Home or AVG7. Check your email either directly from FTP if yu have access to your account in that way. Look at eml's only if you want to see the html/grahic content, otherwise only view as text. Use webmail function of your email service, delete any crap that got past the filters and download only what is relevant and only every couple months. pretty simple process. No cost involved just a few minutes of your time. I also have my browser history set to 99 days (which is the max for IE) I love being able to backtrack to an interesting site or important info simply by checking the history. My system is networked. I have not experienced any viruses for several years, hav no spyware or other such junk. I did purchase XP Repair Pro, excellent idea. I haven't run any scans in several weeks and when I do I don't expect anything out of the ordinary. SO, whats all the fuss?? My system runs top notch and isn't overburdoned with high end processes that chew up resources and cost money to implement. Cheers! and have a great day.

Collapse -
deleting incoming e-mails.
by yellowhand / July 6, 2006 9:18 PM PDT

Pre-set program to delete after transferred to my inbox and read. That way I never have to worry about having things fill up with old messages. This is performed very easily as it is part if the Mac OS X 10. whatever. It is one of those things that Apple placed into their system because they listen to what their customers want always. I guess it has something to do with being open to suggestions and not always feeling they know all of the answers. Yellowhand

Collapse -
Ahhhh ... who does that?
by mike.searles / July 7, 2006 9:53 AM PDT

Exactly who feels that they know ALL of the answers and are not open to suggestions? LOL!

Collapse -
Files everyday, Cookie never
by tompbl / July 6, 2006 9:18 PM PDT

I have IE-7 auto delete temporary INTERNET files upon closing, but I don't like deleting cookies because the next time you are at your favorite sites you must type in all the log in stuff. But I do use Windows Defender and AVG to check those cookies for bad guys.

Collapse -
Temp files and cookies
by cjbt.79 / July 6, 2006 9:23 PM PDT

Delete temp files every day but cookies 4 time a year or when needed

Collapse -
suppression of cookies 4 times a year or if needed !!
by susFB / July 7, 2006 12:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Temp files and cookies

I do not agree : this is not a choice ? Or it is systematically i.e if needed; if you go hour long on the searching solutions or info's you will possibly collect a big amount of cookies; these will charge your memory and are not at all nescessarily for a further job, so.. But what I did not yet found is an automatic possibility to save a choiced quantity of cookies, meanwhile the other ones could be daily scrapped out. I close generaly my working time by the use of "Clean disk security", but if I am very happy of the result, I regret some times that everything will go !

Collapse -
How often do you delete your temp Internet files & cookies?
by ahouse86 / July 6, 2006 9:59 PM PDT

I usually delete tmp files and cookies at least weekly. If I have used the Net heavily, I ofyen do a clean up right after a session.

I use both Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer, and use the cleanup tools provided in both programs. I also use free programs called RegClean and CCleaner. I also perform disk maintenance and disk cleanup using the tools included in Windows98 and Windows XP. I work as a consultant, and have found that many clients don't take the time to do these tasks, so I discovered several wys to automate them during a nightly backup or maintenance routines.

In Windows98, you can schedule disk maintenance including file deletions, a scandisk and defrag using the included tools under Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Mainteance Wizard. The wizrd allows you to schedule these maintenance tasks on any schedule.

Windows 2000 and Windows XP do not have the Maintenance Wizard (at least that I can find), so my solution is to put calls to these programs in a batch or cmd file, and then schedule that command file to run using the built in scheduler in those operating systems. Various maintenance programs can run automatically using switches built into the program. To view the switches available for any program, type the program name, a space and thecharacters /?. You can also find information about these command line switches using the help function in Windows.

Finally, I use Adaware and SpyBot Search and Destroy on a regular basis as well. Both are free programs and are updated regularly. I have used both programs to clean infected computers that were seriously crippled. They have saved many a 'wipe and reload'.

You can also turn off the cookie feature in your browser. This can be a hassle at some web sites, but will prevent you from acquiring these files in the first place. I have one client with several servers who is so serious about security that they stop doing business with one of the common carrier trucking companies that required them to accept cookies. The carrier required that they turn on the ability to accept cookies and my client refused, costing the carrier thousands of dollars in freight business on a monthly basis. Some folks take security seriously!

sloss

Collapse -
Between once a week and every day
by gmomhpa / July 6, 2006 10:23 PM PDT

I don't like the idea of cookies being used to track my web or other habits. I don't need the cookies to gradually slow my machine down.

Collapse -
files
by jweideman3 / July 6, 2006 10:41 PM PDT

depending on time and projects load I try and get rid
of files every day , at least I clean my files once a
week, rule of thumb C Y A ,and all the great advice
on the weekly polls - "smart folks" I also delete all my e-mail like spam 7-8 times a day no matter what.

I keep nothing - and the soft ware I own to protect my computer does its job everyday and everytime I walk away from this computer I take the this computer off line.
and keep and eye on c-net these folks have tought me a lot. Good day.

Collapse -
Deleting temp files & cookies
by BroJohn / July 6, 2006 10:50 PM PDT

I don't worry too much about cookies. I delete the temp files and other types of useless files about once a month. Some cookies I want to keep since they help me to log in to some sites that I use quite frequently, so I am selective about deleting cookies. I use my computer mostly for research and updating my websites. I don't do a lot of internet browsing, since I have certain sites that I visit quite often. I also have anti-spyware, anti-virus and firewall protection so don't worry a great deal about that sort of interference with my computing enjoyment. For me therefore once a month is a good rule of thumb.

Collapse -
How often do you delete temp and cookies
by drbooth / July 6, 2006 11:20 PM PDT

I delete these files daily and sometimes more than once a day (dependent upon how much browsing I do on a given day)
Why?
I have certain programs I use daily to clean up the internet trash that can accumulate. Doing this daily keeps the number of files down in the count and therefore the programs I run usually only take seconds to complete their respective jobs. In addition, it is rather amazing on just how much "junk" one can pile up on their systems in a short while. But the main reason for daily cleaning is that a cleaner system runs faster than a cluttered system.
Have a good day
drbooth

Collapse -
how to set your cookie history to 30 days?
by kevin7415 / June 27, 2008 1:39 AM PDT

I was wondering how you can set the cookie history to 30 days on internet explorer

Collapse -
by NickMets7 / July 7, 2006 12:48 AM PDT

Every couple of virus scans (about bimonthly) I'll delete all of my history, cookies, temporary files, and I'll look through all the different folders and either move stuff around, or simply get rid of it. I do this just to be on the safe side, and to keep things organized and tidy. Then I run msconfig, and run an spyware scan, download updates for ALL my software (i.e. Real Player, Microsoft Update, Adobe, etc.) Then I restart my computer.

Finally, I defragment my hard drive. The performance gains after all this are really not that great, but they are noticible.

- Nick

Collapse -
Cleanup frequency
by laurelax / July 7, 2006 1:01 AM PDT

My desktop system has limited harddrive space that gets smaller everytime our MIS groud does an update. I may delete temp internet files several times a day. I don't generally delete cookies. I run spyware detectors at least every other day.

Collapse -
Delete with ACDSee
by greendon / July 7, 2006 1:06 AM PDT

Believe it or not, even though ACDSee is primarily a photo viewer and editor it is one of the best ways to delete unwanted material of ANY kind on your computer. It works quickly, easily & makes deleted data, photos, etc. difficult to recover. It can remove any type of file or folder, including: hidden, system, read only, temp, dat, backup and files comtaining a virus or spy ware. It doesn't send deleted files to the "deleted files" folder. The only thing I have found that it can't delete is its own "ACDSee Data Base" folder and files. It will not delete files that are in use at the time. Get a free trial copy of ACDSee 8 & Photo Manager 8.0.41 at http://www.acdsee.com . Try it, I love it.
Don, the Greenman

Collapse -

As cookies provide a useful purpose, I only keep the cookies I need. I have 21 on my PC; all for on-line stores I purchase from, and my investment web site.

Collapse -
Actually, everytime I close IE
by africanhut / July 7, 2006 2:42 AM PDT

I have IE set to delete all temp. files every time it is shut down. I monitor cookies with other programs but I see no use in keep temp. files. I have broadband so it takes only a moment to get back to the sites if I visit them again.

I want all the clutter off this machine and I feel this is a good start in not letting it build up. I have 4 spyware programs that I run. I run a different one almost everyday. Norton Anti-Virus I run once a week and let it do a short scan after every virus definition update, some of the spyware stuff can do deep scans and not so deep scans (I guess) and I alternate between them as well.

It is hard to keep up but I do my best.

Mike

Collapse -
Cleaning

Temp files and all other gunk,cleaned out at least twice daily.Early morning and suppertime.Do not clean out cookies however,as am registered with too many websites.Periodically,just bring up the screen and selectively delete any that I don't require.
SS

Collapse -
I delete my internet history every few days.
by jprkenny / July 7, 2006 2:52 AM PDT

I would delete my browser cookies and cache every few days in IE 6 but in firefox I set it to delete cookies automatically when I close my browser except passwords so I can be automatically logged in to CNET, it used to be once that I didn't understand about browser cache and would get frustrated at seeing certain webpage in cache even though I wanted an updated webpage.

While it would be handy to have all this stored on my browser doesn't that allow a hacker or someone unauthorized to be able to trace my web history and access my password accounts etc?

Collapse -
My PC Utility Suite Does It.

I use System Mechanic Pro and the PC Total Care option runs through all of its modules, which cleans out this type of clutter. But it has the draw back of losing your web browser history and some websites, that ID you and sign you on by cookies. But the megabits cleared out or freed up on your system, is sometimes eye opening. This is done about every four weeks.

Collapse -
Getting Rid of junk
by wheelzup / July 7, 2006 3:35 AM PDT

I have my system set up so that every Friday evening it scans for viruses, spyware and so on plus it cleans up most of the tmp files and cookies.

Collapse -
I THOUROUGHLY clean my system EVERY DAY :)
by Bbbjck / July 7, 2006 11:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Getting Rid of junk

As soon as I boot up I set Scandisk to run upon next bootup in case something goes wrong and I have to reboot or lose electricity or whatever else may go wrong.

My AVAST anti-virus updates itself at every bootup and/or when new files become available. I update and run Spybot Search & Destroy Immunizing when new files come in, scanning every day I am online and utilizing SS&D's File Shredder to find and get rid of other nuisances. I also do a daily update and scan with AdAware SE free version to clean up what little SS&D leaves behind.

THEN I do a Disk Cleanup from "Local Disk C: Properties". THEN I right click IE and clean Cookies, Files and History just for good measure. Wink

I have found that this daily ritual keeps my computers running as well as can be expected from a M$ product. Happy

If things get slow and I get 'signs' of certain types I do all of this and then shut down all running programs using "msconfig/startup", disconnect from the internet altogether since my anti-malware progs won't be running and THEN DEFRAG!!!! Turn back on the progs I want running in msconfig/startup. Let Scandisk run and have a squeaky clean, niiice running machine again. Happy

Collapse -
IE?
by longdistancepaddler / July 7, 2006 3:08 PM PDT

get firefox. Its better and faster. Unless you don't like tabs Silly

Collapse -
Because
by Bbbjck / July 8, 2006 5:37 AM PDT
In reply to: IE?

Firefox crashed my puter. I can't use it. Sad

Collapse -
How do you run msconfig/startup?
by johnmaher / July 7, 2006 5:52 PM PDT

I am following the discussion you guys are having as best as I can.

My computer is running slow and someone has suggested reducing the number of programs that are running at any one time.

[With no programs launched, Windows Task Manager tells me I have 61 processes running]

How do I reduce the number of programs running? How do I know what they??

[Dell Dimension 2400, Cel 2.4, 256Mb RAM, XP + Pack 2]

Collapse -
RE: How do you run msconfig/startup?
by btljooz / July 8, 2006 7:40 AM PDT

Within one question you have really asked MANY.

First off, there are a myriad of things that can cause computers to run slowly.

When was the last time you cleaned out all of your unnecessary files like those in your Cache, cookies, history, etc? These only take up space and slow the process of the reading of your hard drive in addition to the assistance of posing threats of different types of mal-ware.

Which brings up the NEXT item. Do you know of any mal-ware hiding on your computer. Some mal-wares can put a complete stop to your computer!

Do you have programs on your computer that you have downloaded and installed yourself that you do not use any more? If you have NON-MS software that you don't use any more it just takes up disk space, therefore, slowing the reading process of your hard drive even further. If you delete any of these programs do you know how to find files they may leave behind? Yes, some programs DO leave files behind when you delete the program. These can add up over time and slow the process of reading your hard drive.

When was the last time you ran ScanDisk? Bad sectors can possibly reek havoc on your system. In the unusual event that you may find bad sectors, a repair tech can retrieve them for you.

When was the last time you Defragged? Fragmented files can REALLY slow down your computer! Since you don't know about the msconfig/startup thing I'll tell you (LATER) how to get there so you can shut off everything there before Defragging. Those running programs in there can only fragment WORSE if you defrag with them running. This is the ONLY time you will want to turn off your anti-malware progs. Since they will not be running you will want to disconnect from the internet while they are off and the system is defragging. I, personally, like to disconnect from the net (I'm on Cable ISP) then turn off those progs in msconfig, then run ScanDisk, then Defrag, then set ScanDisk to run again, then turn on the progs I want...like my Anti-malware stuff and finally reboot my computer. This helps MY computer a LOT!!! Happy If you've never Defragged this may take a LONG time so do it when you don't need to be on your computer for a WHILE.

What software are you running? Could it be that you have some software Conflicts somewhere? For instance, are you running two firewalls at once?

NOW, to address the msconfig/startup thing:

1. Click on 'start'.

2. At the bottom of the 'panel' that comes up click ''Run...''

3. In the small window that then comes up type '' msconfig '' and click ''OK''.

4. In the ''System Configuration Utility'' window that pops up click on the ''Startup'' Tab.

5. In the list you will see, UNcheck ALL boxes to programs you do not want running constantly. This includes Instant Messaging software. Be sure to leave all of your Anti-Virus, other Anti-Malware programs and any others you WANT (like a Weather program or non-MS Firewall) checked.

Note: You WILL still be able to use all of the programs you UNcheck. They just won't be running in the background eating up resources.

WARNING: If you don't know about contents of the other Tabs within the ''System Configuration Utility'', obviously, you make look but NOT touch! Wink

IF all of that doesn't help, you can learn about what you see in your Task Manager HERE:

http://downloads.techrepublic.com.com/5138-10877-5747817.html?tag=tr.dl.zdn&tag=nl.e530

If you do not have a Tech Republic Account, make one so you can download this PDF File. It tells you about what is safe/not safe to turn off within Windows and the ramifications of doing so. After reviewing that PDF very carefully you can deside if it's worth it [to you] to try to alter these particular settings.

I hope this helps you and doesn't confuse you any further. Happy

Collapse -
How often do you delete cookies?

Hi All; There Deleted automatically every day and when I feel in between that they need it. If I get to many, I have found it slows down My computer. So I got the
iIsystem wiper( Recommended) to me by a Friend. it's Great it clears them and my memory when I first turn on my computer and when I'm shutting down. no more slowed or snaged computer.Good House keeping isn't only the home, but Your Computer also.

Thank You,
Jester2050

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.