The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

How often do you buy used electronics?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / March 16, 2012 9:02 AM PDT

-- All the time. (Can you give us some examples?)
-- Occasionally, as it depends on the item and price. (Please explain.)
-- Never. (Not once? Why not?)
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How often do you buy used electronics?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How often do you buy used electronics?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Buy Used Electronics
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 16, 2012 9:28 AM PDT

Occasionally - But only items that are refurbished.
Over the years I have purchased more than 10 refurbished computers and two refurbished digital cameras.

Collapse -
Old Electronics-Sometimes
by echomark / March 16, 2012 11:04 AM PDT

I use to buy old electronics. Sometimes the old electronics is better, like in audio amps. The sound you get from a tube amp sounds better then a lot of new amps nowdays. If I see an old radio I like sometime I will buy the radio to rebuild it. A lot of old electronics have real wood on it. But there is a lot of old elctronics that I will not buy. The best thing to check for old electronics is the web an or E-Bay. Good Luck

Collapse -
Buying used electronics
by Garebear44 / March 16, 2012 11:26 AM PDT

I buy all the used electronics I find as long as they cost 5-$20 for a few components at a time. I wish I had kept track of all the computers I have upgraded, built and sold over the past 10 years. Just today I picked up a microsft usb key board, a UPC 280 ups, a Videonics sound effects mixer and a matching video titilemaker for $15.

Collapse -
Occasionally, depends on the item, condition, price and risk
by Bob_Meyer / March 16, 2012 1:46 PM PDT

I frequently buy refurbed network gear, like routers and usb adapters. So far, the routers (mostly Linksys) have been rock solid. Some of the adapters have been a little quirky. I purchased a used processor and power supply for an elderly Sony VAIO (about 2001 vintage) and they are still running. On the other hand, I recently bought a refurbed usb harddrive. It came up as a USB mass storage device, but the file system wouldn't open, so I returned it.

I refurbish/repurpose donated used computers for my church. I try to do it as close to $0 cost as possible. A lot of the donations were on their last legs, though, and the harddrives failed within about 3 months of putting them in use, so I don't do too much of that anymore. I don't usually buy used computers for the same reason.

Bob Meyer

Collapse -
by l8rb / March 16, 2012 6:26 PM PDT

Depends on what the item is vs. what I may need and were it is found, such as finding used monitors, printers, car stereos, tvs, or home theatre components at a pawn shop, thrift store or garage/tag/flea market sale;
Or a special sale through certain websites that may offer seconds, repaired, and/or factory refurb'd items (sorry. your own research).

One corrollary: critical parts such as hard drives, optical drives, or power strips/UPI's I prefer new or new/refurb for longevity and customer satisfaction.

Collapse -
buying used electronics
by dubletrbble / March 16, 2012 8:32 PM PDT

I shop for used audio equiptment but only high end!! not your run of the mill cheap crap! is a good site for finding great deals on really nice audio eqpt. and saving some money.....Dave

Collapse -
Not 'All' time, but quite frequently
by MichieS / March 17, 2012 1:37 AM PDT

I have used mostly Craigslist and Ebay (over 8-9 years, my ebay feedback is about 225 (about 5 or 6 for buying stuff -- all the rest for buying <y>). Mostly electronics/computer related.

On Craigslist, I usually limit the area I look in to be limited to about 10-12 miles. Live about 20 miles outside a large city -- but NEVER go into city tho. Prefer to meet sellers 'someplace', tho OK if I know their home area. Contacts sellers via email -- I won't respond to 'twitter' emails ads (or those who they say won't answer emails). Just be careful.

Stuff I have bought: 3-4 Apple iphone Touches (for me and a friend), IBM laptop (S10-c), Window OS (legally), Dell laptop, peripherals, small TVs, etc.

On ebay : too numerous to list. -- lot of (older) laptops, laptop parts, software,,,,,,

Good luck !

Collapse -
Yes, I buy used electronics.
by sbill / March 17, 2012 3:15 AM PDT

I frequently buy used electronics and computer equipment, especially from local people selling on Craigslist. It is possible to buy TV's, DVD players, and other household electronics for much less than new, and usually they work just as well as new. I also buy most of my computers used, including laptops. As long as they don't appear to be dropped or damaged, there won't be a problem. Besides, if you want a computer that runs Windows XP, you have no choice but to buy used.

Collapse -
I Never buy used
by mjd420nova / March 17, 2012 3:48 AM PDT

Why buy something that's most probably been broken once already. No open box, floor model, demo unit can be offered(free?) for any price to make me want to clean up behind another tech, when it breaks again and I have to fix it. If the seller doesn't have one, in the box, factory sealed tape intact, I won't touch it. I often get offered units that are cheap but have a slight problem, DVD stuck in drive, OS corrupted and no back up or system disks available, or a sound card quit. I have no market for these turned around units when they should get donated.

Collapse -
Purchasing used electronics...
by TriskelionAZ / March 19, 2012 1:51 AM PDT

Here in tucson arizona we have excellent 2nd hand shops, thrift stores and stores by Goodwill, Salvation Army, Savers, Value Village and plenty more!

My last 3 digital cameras I purchased in thrift stores or online used.
My last two wireless routers I've gotten through thrift stores and one from online place where you give away things you no longer need for someone to pick up or you request items. Thus re-gifting things to others to keep them out of landfills!).

My freecycle router I installed 4 years ago at mom's house so she can have wireless for her laptop and I can use wireless when I go visit family in NY.

Through all the above ive gotten toaster ovens, microwaves, camera equipments, all sorts of power supplies , cellphones, coffee makers, shelves, tv's , clothing - You name it!

I've only had problems twice in 7 years I've been doing this and saved so much money in an environment where warranty's and consumer protection plans may or may not protect you when you need it. At least after testing used equipment you know what youre in for.

Oh and I forgot to mention yard sales.

Collapse -
by igmouse / April 18, 2012 11:57 PM PDT

I buy all that I can get , reason I can use them for parts to fix/upgrade other CPU's and then sell the "new" units to thers that are a restricted/lower income. I make about 12-15 k a year and spend only 10-12 hours per week on my hobby.

Collapse -
All the time.
by 5tevie / April 25, 2012 9:10 PM PDT

I buy used electrical stuff from eBay most every week.
In the last 30 days I have bought an old Apple laptop for £35, an Acer Aspire laptop for £60, a Sony Mavica CD500 for £26 + a lot of extra stuff to go with them.
My plans are to get them all polished up and then relist them on eBay with a lot of much better pictures and a more detailed description.
I would hope to make an extra £25 on each item at least. I have been working like this for the past 7 years. It ain't going to give me a chance to retire to the Bahamas but it's more fun than pushing bricks around a building site.

Collapse -
by nimzy8849 / May 23, 2012 5:15 PM PDT

I bought a used mobile phone before and just a week ago a used camera. In both occasions, it's because of the budget. But when it comes to PCs, I don't know why I can't make myself buy a used one.

Collapse -
by manikunis / August 17, 2012 4:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Twice.

I had buyed a used Cell phone. It was Sony Ericsson w55i. It was a good phone and never gave me any problem.It was my good luck.Always take care of certain things while buying used things. Do not buy goods that are too old.

Collapse -
Not once
by DerekRose81 / October 23, 2012 11:33 PM PDT

Actually, I believe I have never bought an used electronic device... at least I can't remember doing it. The only things I use to buy that are used, are old items.. vintage memorabilia.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.