TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

How often do TV manufactures refresh their line up?

by EcoFusion / September 7, 2010 2:32 PM PDT

Hey Cnet~ =)

I'm in the market for an HDTV, my first in fact. I'm 21, and have been using my family's 2007 47in Aquos for my gaming, and movies (yuck). I've been saving my money over the summer for a flagship TV, price being second to quality for once. I've been waiting for an outstanding TV on Cnet for the past year or more, when the Panasonic Viera TC-P50VT25 line up came out this spring I was so excited over the review it got.

The only thing is, it's taken me until now to gather the money for the 58in I want! Now I'm worried in 4 months Panasonic will release an even better line up, with improved specs, and cross talk-less 3D. 3D viewing wasn't a selling point to me, but now that I fathom how much money I'm going to spend, I might as well grab all the features I can. And when I saw Avatar in iMax, I swore I'd give anything to have even a fraction of that experience at home..

TL;DR
- I want the best TV for my money, and am willing to wait for it. How often to TV manufactures come out with new TVs?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How often do TV manufactures refresh their line up?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How often do TV manufactures refresh their line up?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by givemeaname / September 7, 2010 4:04 PM PDT

This goes for all manufactures:

Feb-April low end models released
April-June mid line models
June-Sept high end models & larger version of other models (58"-65"+ sizes)

For panny they normally release the 58"V very late May or 1st week in June in limited amounts then by July you can get them everywhere.

So you will have to wait until about June for the 58V30/35 line panny's 2011. Wait for CES 2011, 2nd week of Jan., if panny introduces KURO tech into their next years tv line... wait for that!!!

Collapse -
3D feature is still gimmicky IMNSHO
by Pepe7 / September 8, 2010 2:42 AM PDT

IMHO the '3D' is still very gimmicky and pales to actually buying a display that has the best image quality. Any and or all notions of prioritizing that feature should be thrown out until they actually get it right and its not simply fluff.

Collapse -
Haste makes Waste
by EcoFusion / September 8, 2010 5:27 AM PDT

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll wait until CES to see what's in store for next spring. 3D will surly improve, and as stated, KURO tech would be amazing if implemented now that panny acquired KURO.

It's gonna be a long wait.. I'll have to play Halo Reach in the living room lol.

Collapse -
More OFTEN than not.
by MrGadgetman / September 8, 2010 7:17 AM PDT

Your question is simple enough and so is the answer. Manufacturers of products (particularly tech products) keep producing and releasing new products because technology is always progressing and the inherent law of success dictates that a manufacturer must push that envelop to stay ahead of the competition. As often as yearly, something "New & Improved" comes out. If you are waiting because you want to get the best, then sorry to hit you with the truth. The best you can achieve is the 'best there is, right now' and call it a day. By the time you buy that Top-o-the-line TV, a superceding model is getting finalized for demo at the next CES.

What you should be considering is how much BETTER the next line-up will be, not when. Replacements are inevitable, quality improvements that justify the price are not.
There is always a period when tech seems to plateau. Judging that point is the best time to buy, but keep in mind that it is subjective.
For example, I bought a Sony 46" HDTV in Nov. 2008 and of course the new ones came out by that following spring that were cheaper AND included all the features I premiumed-up for. For me, even to this day, the picture quality has not gotten that much better to warrant me buying another one and the 3D (like you said) needs to get a little better before I pony up. On the other hand, someone may read this and say I am BLIND for not seeing the OBVIOUS picture improvements in the latest Sony line-up.

Collapse -
Agreed
by EcoFusion / September 8, 2010 7:57 AM PDT
In reply to: More OFTEN than not.

Thanks for your reply =). It does make sense to just buy the product, and enjoy the time you have using it and not play the waiting game. Though as you said, it's about how MUCH better the update might be.

I feel the next line up has potential to bring much greater 3D viewing to the table. As with any product, new features improve quickly, than slow as its potential is reached. Seeing as these are the 1st generation 3D TVs, and Panasonic's in particular have acceptable performance already, plus this is is the 2nd year after Panasonic bought KURO, I feel this next update will be worth the wait.

I could be completely wrong and be waiting for a 1/2 thinning TV with black level fading problems.. But I like to think other wise lol.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.