The CNET Lounge

General discussion

How much video memory does your graphics card have?

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / September 13, 2006 9:52 AM PDT

How much video memory does your graphics card have (and what type)?

8MB or less (are you serious?)
16MB
32MB
64MB
128MB
256MB
512MB
1GB or more (really?! what type?)
I don't know

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How much video memory does your graphics card have?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How much video memory does your graphics card have?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE:
by nathanpsz2 / September 13, 2006 12:54 PM PDT

ASUS RX600 256MB

It's no scorcher, but it does what it's asked to do, and it plays my games okay. I might upgrade when DX10 cards and Windows Vista comes out.

Collapse -
Budget video card here....
by skizz / September 13, 2006 1:42 PM PDT

ATI Radeon 9250, 256mb. not bad for a budget, does a good job.

Collapse -
Pretty average graphics card here
by jprkenny / September 13, 2006 2:01 PM PDT

Yeah, I have one, a Nvidia FX 5200 series and I know it's the cheapest version but when we got our first computer 10 months ago we didn't have a clue about a graphics card, since my father plays games he read several magazine articles saying a graphics card will handle the graphics on games and we bought one from our PC manufacturer who sold us a cheapy version and we didn't know.

But what about Vista? Microsoft's next OS uh, our card will melt in heat trying to render the plasticy windows aero. And I heard that the Nvidia 5700 series will have a struggle handling aero, but back to the question our one uses 128 MB of memory which is pretty common.

Collapse -
SLI here
by A_Noid / September 15, 2006 2:28 AM PDT

I have a SLI rig with 2 EVGA 7900GT Superclocked. These run at 580 MHz core, and 1.6GHz memory. This is barely below 7900 GTX specs for only about 2/3 the price. Standard 7900 GT is only 450 MHz core, and I think 1.2GHz memory. If you want high performance, you can't beat SLI, or Crossfire.

Collapse -
sli here
by jweideman3 / September 18, 2006 11:33 AM PDT
In reply to: SLI here

hey thanks glenn for the info

Collapse -
How much Video Memory
by hborey / September 15, 2006 2:58 AM PDT

I have am Nvidia 6800 ultra SLI x2 with 512 each.
more than enough to play all the games I want. Although
my PC is a 1 1/2 years old Alienware Aurora it still stands up to all the latest games. I am playing PREY right now and just bought Company Of Hero's.

Collapse -
512 ATI
by rob356 / September 15, 2006 4:49 AM PDT

I just got a VisonTek ATI x1300 512mb Pcie card and it works great!

Collapse -
512MB
by BradPois / September 15, 2006 4:59 AM PDT

I just installed my new ATI Radeon X1600 Pro AGP 512MB card.

Im stuck with AGP at the moment so I dont have as big a selection as I would like.

I really like it, It playes every game that I have (COD2, F.E.A.R. ...) really good.

Collapse -
Don't have a clue!
by charlotte5050 / September 15, 2006 5:07 AM PDT

I have a Dell Dimension 1100, purchased in January 2006 and don't have a clue what graphics card I have let alone how much memory it has!

How can I find out? It would be interesting to know this.
Charlotte

Collapse -
(NT) Pretty easy to find out.
by sknis / September 15, 2006 8:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Don't have a clue!

In Windows go to Start then Run and type in the term dxdiag and then click OK. A popup screen for DirectX will open. Go to the Display tab and look at the left side. You will find your video card or chips and the memory amount.

Collapse -
another way to check
by tlo_cnetc / September 15, 2006 12:36 PM PDT

right click your desktop select properties at the display properties box select the settings tab click the advanced button, select the adapter tab

Collapse -
stuff you got with your computor should tell you
by jweideman3 / September 18, 2006 11:44 AM PDT

your computor must do the trick for you ,were nabors
i'm in kansas have a happy day.

Collapse -
video cards? me have lots of memory!
by Falconias / September 15, 2006 5:17 AM PDT

Well on my desktop i have only 64 Mb on my MX 440 with AGP 8x. But on my laptop i have 128 Mb dedicated (not shared...dedicated) - and then I have an additional 384 Mb of shared that it grabs from the main 2 Gb of RAM - muahahahaha!

I love my laptop!

Collapse -
128 Mb and running aero on Vista
by mjstod / September 15, 2006 5:18 AM PDT

I have an older (for me) pentium 4 PC that I just put Vista RC-1 on, and my old geforce card could not use the aero features. Not wanting to put a lot of money into this unit, I got a geforce 6200 for around 40 bucks, and I can now run aero fine. My newer machine runs a 256mb geforce 6800 xtreme.

Collapse -
256 Mb and running Vista
by mcmike1953 / September 15, 2006 10:43 AM PDT

Only differences are it's a Dell dimension 2400 with a Celron 2.40Gz processor, GeForce FX5200 PCI card. Vista runs just fine because the dedicated RAM in the card takes some stress off the machine. Now does anyone know about BIOS? (smile).

Collapse -
What I would say is average for a sometimes gamer...
by owilde / September 15, 2006 5:21 AM PDT

I have a 256MB nVidia GeForce 6800 in our main desktop PC which was built more for entertainment, just the built-in (integrated on-board) 128MB Intel Graphics for the extra Basic build desktop PC, and 128MB integrated Intel Graphics for my laptop (both integrated graphics being used are graphics specific RAM -I forget the tech word for that right now- meaning they don't share the rest of the system RAM).

I find this the average set-up for basic usage (light applications, some gaming), but would suggest going with at least a 256MB PCIe graphics card (AGP only if you don't have PCIe slots available on your motherboard) if you want more graphics heavy applications (photoshop, more serious gaming). With laptops, you have fewer choices and you have to make them when purchasing the laptop, but I can still watch many movies, use photoshop, and play many games on my laptop without really noticing much of a difference from a 256MB card...

Collapse -
128MB ATI Radeon 9700
by pinoypeppermint / September 15, 2006 5:31 AM PDT

nothing special. just came stock with my powerbook g4. runs games blazingly if not ultimately fast. wc3 and wow look beautiful.

Collapse -
Video Card Ram
by jaytmoon / September 15, 2006 5:42 AM PDT

On my two home built gamming rigs I have an ATI SLI x1600 with 512Mb ram, and A Nvidia fx6800 with 512 Mb. One system is AMD x2 based and the other is an Intel p4 based processor. They are not bleeding edge in speed but above the "off the shelf" junk from Best Buy or Circuit City.

Collapse -
ATi Radeon X1600XT PCI-E (256Mb of GDDR2)
by Birdman1890P / September 15, 2006 5:47 AM PDT

... The topic says it all really.

Very pleased with this card, considering the cost. HL2, Race Driver 3, and all the other things I can think of look wonderful at full res. I only have to tweak the settings for games like BF2 and FEAR (although I've not done any of the usual hardcore gamer things like a weekly defrag or bought blisteringly fast memory and tweaked the memory timings, I just can't be arsed with all that!). Dead good card for what I paid. Grin

Collapse -
Video Card
by doctorthibes / September 15, 2006 5:58 AM PDT

I have a 256 MB (VRAM) NVIDIA Graphics card in a Power Mac G5. Works for me.

Collapse -
I have 3 seperate consumer electronics each with grfx cards
by ackmondual / September 15, 2006 6:21 AM PDT

Dell Dimension 8300 from Feb. 2004 has
ATI 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro

Dell Dimension XPS T550 from mid 1999 has
3dFX 16MB Voodoo3 3000

Tapwave Zodiac 2 (Palm OS PDA) has
custom ATI 8MB 2d graphics accelorator

but of course, I voted 128MB.

Collapse -
Graphics Card
by balls4all / September 15, 2006 6:30 AM PDT

I have a 128MB ATI All in Wonder 9600 Pro video card. I know it's getting older, but the features are truly amazing. For example, I can play FM Radio and watch TV on my computer without any additional devices. I currently have a triple boot working fine with the card, including Vista: Windows XP SP2, Windows Vista RC1, and Fedora Core 5. And no, I don't use them all in the same day. It's more for compatiblity: I can run any application I get.

Collapse -
128mb and 8mb
by wicker_man / September 15, 2006 6:44 AM PDT

My Athlon 64 laptop has a 128mb ATi Mobility Radeon 9700, which I use for occasional light gaming.

My G3 iMac DV has an 8mb ATi Rage 128VR, which is perfectly adequate for all of the animations and visual effects of OS X Panther.

Collapse -
256 MB & 64 MB
by W00ter / September 15, 2006 7:09 AM PDT

256 MB on my pc (Ati Radeon X1600 XT 256 MB)
64 MB on my Macbook 1.83 GHz

Collapse -
RE: How much video memory does your graphics card have?
by danielsard / September 15, 2006 7:11 AM PDT

i got 128mb, but as is an intel whatever graphics card, is like i had less than 100 mb how bad it is, nothing personal with intel, but i couldnt run the good games on my computer and this is 1 year old

Collapse -
Card or Video Chips
by sknis / September 15, 2006 8:10 AM PDT

That Intel information seems to indicate that you have video chips on your mother board and not a full video card. If so, they will run slow. You might want to try to go to the Intel web site and see if there are updated drivers for your chips. You may also want to consider buying a real video card if you have the space. A card for under $100 will be much faster than the chips. The two larger manufactures are ATI who makes their own cards and nVidia who makes chips that other people like eVGA use on their cards. Make sure you buy the right kind of card for your computer mother board.

Collapse -
How Much Video Card Ram Do You Have
by jhkuo56 / September 15, 2006 7:14 AM PDT

My Video card (ATI Radeon 9250) has 256mb of Ram. It is a great card but I expect that there are others out there who will disagree with me.

Collapse -
1GB!! But memory is OVERATED!!
by wblacroix / September 15, 2006 7:26 AM PDT

7950 GX2, that's 1GB GDDR3 video memory ********. Last card I had before that was a 32MB TNT2 in my super old, store-bought system :\

But memory is really not as important as people think. Memory is really overated, you should never judge a card exclusively on memory. There are core and memory frequency speeds to consider, overclockability and most importantly, features; such as pixel shader versions, most recent is 3.0; and the differences between previous versions are outstanding. Concerning excesive memory, it's only to jack up to extreme texture detail with ridiculous resolutions.

Memory can sometimes be a gimmick too, I mean, I've seen GeForce 6 series cards with 512MB of memory and a x700 with the same, which is just plain ridiculous, the games that the cores of those types of cards have to deal with won't demand so much memory at all. Essentially, it's bottlenecking.

I have to admit, the 7950's a waste of money, because DX10 and the dilicious 8 series cards are not too far off, but I have money to throw around I guess.

Collapse -
64 MB - ATI
by jd7wilson / September 15, 2006 7:36 AM PDT

I bought an ATI All In Wonder, low end unfortunately. It's not well-supported by ATI. I recently had issues with a driver upgrade, where the driver made the rest of the features unusable. And ATI has changed their website too many times in the last 3-4 years, trying to navigate to find the right stuff for my card is too much trouble, though it's better now than it was a couple of years ago. It would be difficult to convince me to buy ATI again, if for no other reason than being upset at how poorly they document and support my card, as though it's an unwanted step-child.

Collapse -
A very basic video card
by anolehippy / September 15, 2006 7:46 AM PDT

I have an ATI Radeon x300SE w/ 128Meg RAM on a PCI express bus.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.