Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How Much Memory Can XP Handle

by islandporgy / March 10, 2008 5:38 PM PDT

I was just wondering How much Memory can XP handle With out any issues.
Thank You Very Much:

Wendell H

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How Much Memory Can XP Handle
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How Much Memory Can XP Handle
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I've seen four Gig. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 10, 2008 9:02 PM PDT

but anything over two Gig is overkill.

Collapse -
XP 32 bit is still 2.0G for most apps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 10, 2008 10:23 PM PDT

Out of the box, XP is limited to 2.0GB. There are fine articles about this and the /3GB switch which only helps increase applications compiled "special" to get access to 3GB. The OS gets what's left or the usual 2.75 to 3.5GB you see reported to Windows. The rest is lost due to how the Intel architecture works (Video card I/O mapping etc.)

Today and with rare exception 2.0GB will do just fine.

Collapse -
xp's max is 4gb
by ramarc / March 11, 2008 2:09 AM PDT

but that's dependent on your motherboard. some mobo's can only handle 2gb.

Collapse -
XP 32 bit has yet to show me 4GB
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2008 2:10 AM PDT
In reply to: xp's max is 4gb

All machines with 4GB show me from 2.75 to 3.5GB. None have reported 4GB installed. The BIOS shows it at least but the Joe/Jane's of the world are not happy.

Collapse -
Why MB Company's Say thier MB's Can Handle 8 Gigs
by islandporgy / March 11, 2008 7:54 AM PDT

Are the MB Company's looking toward's the future. I am planning on upgrading soon Intel MB,CPU, Memory, Video Card, and may switch over to Vista Ultima. I have been told Window Vista Call for more off everything.
Would a system run smother with 4 gigs of memory, than 2 gigs off memory.
I have been haring that 2 gigs is over kill, When I check how much memory my system is using it is not much out off my 2 gigs off dual channel memory.
So When exactly do you need a lot more than 1 or 2 gigs off memory, what program or games calls for a lot off memory.

Thank You Very Much:

Wendell H

Collapse -
How can it do it?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2008 7:59 AM PDT

The 32-bit version of Windows 2000, XP and Vista all limit applications to 2.0GB without you diving in to flip the /3GB switch and then the limit lifts for the apps that were compiled with this is mind.

Since the versions of Windows we are likely to run are 32 bit and you can research the pain that is the 64 bit versions today you can toss the 4GB or 2GB in there if you wish but the performance for today will be so close that only a benchmark might show it.

Remember that these makers will make more money on the 8, 16, 32 and beyond gigabyte capable boards so lets consider where the marketing will lead us.

Collapse -
Hello your all wrong.
by co0lie / April 3, 2009 9:29 AM PDT
In reply to: How can it do it?

Windows Xp can handle in all conditions up to 8 gigs. 4 2 gig slots if available on motherboard. Lets say you have 4 gigs, and it only shows up as 3.48. Then that means you have an intergrated video card, which is using 512 of RAM to maintain the RAM of the video card. Your motherboard will say 4 gigs if you have a non intergrated video card. A card that actually fits into a slot. PCI ,AGP ,PCI Express. Just because it says 3.48, you still have 4 gigs of ram. Intergrated means built into motherboard card. It shares physical ram to maintain video card ram, which can be set from the bios. Usually called "Video Shared Memory".

Collapse -
Add something
by co0lie / April 3, 2009 9:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Hello your all wrong.

I would like to also mention. It's best for people to talk on here, that actually know what they are talking about. Giving people false imformation can lead to computer failure. People should also only install ram, that know what they are doing. Computers are not complicated take some time to learn computers. Then when you are ready start upgrading, and have fun!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.