Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How much GBs do I use per month on Internet?

by vmars956 / May 18, 2009 9:08 AM PDT

I am thinkng about those $60/month 5Gb deals with wireless.
But don't know how much GBs on Internet do I use per month.
Is that info available on WinXP?
Or is there software that can tell me that?
Thanks!
...Vern

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How much GBs do I use per month on Internet?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How much GBs do I use per month on Internet?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What do you use the internet for?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 18, 2009 9:09 PM PDT

Only you can answer that.

5GB of downloads is a large amount, especially if you only use the internet for email, surfing web sites, chatting, etc. It should be plenty. Here's some basic comparisons;

1000 KB = 1 MB
1000 MB = 1 GB
1000 GB = 1 TB

KB: Kilobyte (you may also see kilobyte as just k)
MB: Megabyte
GB: Gigabyte
TB: Terabyte

A typical web page, including its graphics should not exceed 100KB, (whilst that may have been true a few years ago, many web sites nowadays have more content to make it more appealing to visitors, but even so, web site content including graphics is not very large).

If you are downloading files like software, music, videos, etc to your hard disk, (beware of copyright and pirating issues here with file-sharing sites), then those files individually will be larger, but even so, the average size of a typical music file will be around 2 to 4 MB, and so with 5GB that would be a very large number of music tracks each month. (4MB x 250 files = 1GB. x 5 = 1250 music files). Software and video files will be larger, depending on individual files.

ISPs, (Internet Service Providers), are now typically imposing limits on downloads because of the growth of broadband availability and the number of users downloading music and videos. The limit, or cap, is to help manage excessive use of the connection's bandwidth by some, which creates bottlenecks and restricts bandwidth for others.

The choice is yours here. If you do not feel that $60 a month is a reasonable expense for your internet connection then shop around.

Mark

Collapse -
Software that can tell me internet GB used/mont ?
by vmars956 / May 19, 2009 3:19 AM PDT

I know all that genric stuff. What I am really after:
"Is there software that can tell me internet GB used/month?"
Freeware would be best.
Thanks!
...Vern

Collapse -
Then you'll need something like an Internet Usage Monitor
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 19, 2009 5:31 AM PDT

You're going to have to search around for yourself, as I don't know of any that are well known.

Some ISP's, especially those who cap their broadband bandwidth, offer their own monitors or meters. You don't say which ISP are thinking of going with, but perhaps they will have one already suitable.

Mark

Collapse -
Check out...
by jahnjahn / May 19, 2009 9:21 PM PDT
Collapse -
downloads
by udirtrat / June 1, 2009 5:08 PM PDT

i use westnet for my isp and is on a 3 gig peak and 3 gig off peak for a total of 6 gigs. im on adsl. its 44.95 australian a month and their service is second to none. ive tried several and dont expect to change again. i only use maybe 2.5 to 3 gigs a month but its there if i need it. this isnt an ad. just fact mate.

Collapse -
meter for you
by udirtrat / May 31, 2009 2:46 PM PDT

go to google and type in ShaPlusBandwidth Meter. its a freebie and i swear by it. a real helper. enjoy, udrtrat

Collapse -
That seems a useful utility.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 31, 2009 7:55 PM PDT
In reply to: meter for you

Thanks for the post.

Mark

Collapse -
bananarobot.
by Nightmares0nwax / June 1, 2009 5:16 AM PDT

5gb for genral use.

15gb if you spend all day on youtube and download programs/patches and play online games.

30gb if your a p2p junkie + all of the above lol.

Collapse -
What is that?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 1, 2009 6:22 AM PDT
In reply to: bananarobot.

bananarobot.

What is that, fruit for robots? Web site? Internet usage monitor?

Your post isn't clear.

Google doesn't help.

Mark

Collapse -
dissapointedsheep
by Nightmares0nwax / June 1, 2009 10:36 AM PDT
In reply to: What is that?

its two random words joined together.

i was just giving him an estimate so he can decide what cap to go for.

Collapse -
heres one if it helps.
by Nightmares0nwax / June 1, 2009 10:38 AM PDT
In reply to: dissapointedsheep
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.