Desktops forum

General discussion

How much do I need?

by ANDxEST / May 31, 2005 11:34 AM PDT

I am going to build myself a new computer for my house, but I have no clue how much WATS and fans I need for the system I'm going to build. Please help me out:

ASUS P5WD2 Premium Socket T Intel 955X ATX Intel Motherboard

intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.4 Northwood 800MHz FSB LGA 775

2 X Geforce 6800Ultra 512MB GDDR3 SLI PCI-Express x16 Video Card

CREATIVE Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro 8 (7.1) Channels PCI Interface Sound Card

4 X CORSAIR XMS 512MB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Unbuffered System Memory

4 X Western Digital Raptor WD740GDRTL 73GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

ASUS Black IDE DVD Burner Model DRW-1608P

HP Black IDE DVD Burner w/ Lightscribe Model DVD640I

Atech Flash RW-0101-02 9-in-1 USB2.0 Card Reader

I/O MAGIC IFLP02 Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How much do I need?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How much do I need?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
a lot...
by Jay_Tech / May 31, 2005 12:16 PM PDT
In reply to: How much do I need?

Wow... I see you're not going cheap on your computer, so I suppose you get the biggest watt PSU you can find... If you get a crappy low-watt PSU, then your computer won't preform as well. Why don't you try a 760W Triple-Redundant. As for the fans, you might as well go get this case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811112078

Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / May 31, 2005 12:46 PM PDT

Enermax EG565P 535 Watt Power Supply (SLI-Ready) costs $121 at newegg.
Hard drive-PLEXTOR Black SATA DVD Burner Model PX-712SA/SW -Retail-$70 {$2 more only than your asus}
Where's the case though?
Get this addon for case SILVERSTONE SST-FP52-S Multifunction Panel- $34.
Also get lots of fans or water cool for processor.
Monitor- Samsung SyncMaster 730b 17-inch LCD Monitor, Black-$280
Speakers- Logitech X-230-30
Wireless Keyboard/Mouse-Logitech X700 Wireless Type Standard Keyboard and Mouse-63.

Collapse -
Just a tool
by bob b / May 31, 2005 11:39 PM PDT
Collapse -
Jay is right... you need a lot
by DrMicro / June 3, 2005 4:47 AM PDT

Since you've specified dual SLI video cards, you will need to power both of them with +12VDC, preferrably on separate, balance rails. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as simply throwing a couple Y-connectors on a four-pin plug; there has to be sufficient power (ie, amperage) to run both AND all the other 12vdc components. With dual SLI video cards (check the specs on yours, the power requirements should be listed) you should look into one of the so-called SLI-Certified PSU's. Enermax makes one (600Watts) and then there is the current king of SLI-Certified PSU's, a 850Watt monster from PC Power & Cooling which will set you back over 400 engravings of dead Presidents. Here's a link to their site: http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=T85SSI

I read your other posts and judging from this post here it sounds like you've got your shopping list pretty well set, though you didn't mention what case you were going to house all this high-end stuff in. Don't forget that you're going to need a lot of cooling to keep all this stuff from self-destructing though heat, and unless you feel comfortable with water cooling, you're going to need a number of fans set up in a cross-flow configuration. This will also make this a very NOISY computer. There are quiet fans out there, but most achieve their quiet ratings by slower fan speeds, hence, less airflow (CFM).

I do have one significant question, though: What are you intending to DO with this monster rig when you get it built and when (or if) you get all the bits and pieces working together? If you're just planning on doing normal websurfing, email and the like, you're spending a lot of money for something that you really don't need... kind of like building a Ferrari just for a two-block trip to the local Seven and Eleven, you know? And while I'm in the curious mode, why do you want or think you need two DVD burners? You do know that you can copy CD's and DVD's (watch those copyrights!) with only one burner drive, right?

You also didn't mention a HSF for your CPU. If you buy the retail version of the P4, the HSF that comes with it is adequate, but pretty anemic overall, and won't handle higher temps from bad ventilation or extra heat caused by overclocking. If you buy an OEM CPU, you'll have to buy a separate HSF anyway. Just for starters, go to http://www.coolermaster.com and check out some of their offerings.

Nor did you mention what monitor you're going to hook up to those dual SLI GPU's. Following the clue that you have plenty of money to throw at this project, I would recommend nothing less than a 21" monitor. If you have the desk real estate, CRT's still offer better response time, resolution and pixel pitch than the vast majority of LCD's, though the gap is narrowing. If you do decide to go the LCD route, try for one that has 16ms or less refresh rate, and as much luminance and contratst ratio as you can, plus a DVI connection. Bear in mind that with the great majority of software, you won't see much, if any, difference between an analog (which a CRT will use) or digital connection.

I do commend you for using these forums to get answers to your questions but keep in mind that many who answer you are techies & certified geeks who just love to recommend the latest high-end goodies. Bob Proffit answered one of your forum posts in which he said you need to look for balance in your system. While your shopping list does seem to satisfy that requirement from a hardware standpoint, you might wish to cnsider that same balance against your needs. What you've spec'd out here is a very high-end graphics/gaming computer, and will easily out-perform most of my clents business servers.

If you just want a very good performing machine that won't embarrass you and give you years of service, save you time, hassle, and maybe some money besides, plus a warranty besides, you might check out Dell's XPS series. You can spec it out pretty good if you choose the "customize it" option. Also, HP has a very good and highly-rated Media Center Edition setup you might want to check out. Just so you know, Microsoft Media Center Edition is a subset of Windows XP Pro. The only caveat is that if you're going to set this machine up in a domain, an MCE PC may not be for you.

Lastly, and because you've described yourself as a newbie, unless you have as much time & patience as you seem to have funding, or unless you have a strong masochistic streak, I might suggest that you find a local professional techie guru to either build and debug this system for you, or at least assist you in doing so.

Best of luck to you.

James S
Doctor Micro, Inc.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.