Laptops forum

General discussion

How much did you pay for your latest laptop?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / August 1, 2007 9:53 AM PDT

-- Below $499 (What brand and type?)
-- $500 - $699 (What brand and type?)
-- $700 - $899 (What brand and type?)
-- $900 - $1,199 (What brand and type?)
-- $1,200 - $1,399 (What brand and type?)
-- $1,400 - $1,799 (What brand and type?)
-- $1,800 - $2,199 (What brand and type?)
-- $2,200 - $2,499 (What brand and type?)
-- Above $2,500 (What brand and type?)
-- I don't own no stinkin' laptop (Why not?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How much did you pay for your latest laptop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How much did you pay for your latest laptop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I paid
by orlbuckeye / August 1, 2007 10:06 AM PDT

2599 for an Acer 9810-6829.

Collapse -
I paid about 940USD for ASUS!
by lilyluna / August 1, 2007 1:06 PM PDT
In reply to: I paid

ASUS A3Fc
I bought it less than 1 year ago.

Collapse -
can u rate if it was worthed
by krittach / August 1, 2007 4:52 PM PDT

i paid 1,225 + 20 shipping
for a laptop like this
- HP Pavilion zd8000
- 17" wide screen
- Pentium 4
- wireless included
- 3.6 GHz
- 2 GB ram
- keyboard with no. pad
- Window Xp Media center 2005
- HT enable
- no speedstep

Collapse -
Hi
by LordVaderr / August 3, 2007 2:02 PM PDT

Hello
I want to know when did u get ur HP zd8000 ?
& was it used or New
Thank you
Ishaq

Collapse -
i paid
by jaykay33442 / August 4, 2007 10:14 AM PDT

i paid $450 after rebates for a HP laptop on Black Friday from Office Depot

Collapse -
I paid 599 for Acer 5570-2977
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2007 11:36 AM PDT

Just an impulse no rebate buy to replace my wife's 8 pound marvel. It's light weight, does the PowerPoint, WIFI and such (but we installed Open Office.) Nothing missing at this price. I've had Acer before and the lack of crapware was nice.

Collapse -
laptops do not pay
by balonga / August 1, 2007 12:21 PM PDT

they make less and costs more their batteries are a constant drain of money and care.
I hope this new 150 laptop lead to a real change in the area though this first one perhaps it is not perfect.

Collapse -
the new 150$ laptop...???!!!
by 7aji88 / August 3, 2007 12:18 PM PDT
In reply to: laptops do not pay

I don't think it's going to make that noticeable change.. intel celeron for a processor!! and 256mb for RAM. I think the specifications sound too old, but not for a Linux. Maybe it's going to be the laptop for your kids for school because it costs 150$ and a TI or HP graphing calculator may cost 120$. I mean it would make a change for this kind of stuff, but for people who want to watch HD movies or play even some flash games on the internet... that laptop isn't for them, but for that price, you can buy it and buy a decent desktop that is better than a laptop for a cheaper price!! now that is what I call a change.

Collapse -
How Much and Which brand?
by gchenarides / August 1, 2007 12:24 PM PDT

I have liked Toshibas for quite some tome and I was lucky to find a Satellite A105-S4134 for $1150.00 just before all the announced hoopla about Windows Vista. Mine had Win XP and was probably reduced because the units with Vista would soon be shipping and the store thought they should start unloadong the "old" stuff. I am now about to buy another laptop and it probably will be Toshiba IF they allow the option of customizing with Win XP instead of the now standard Win Vista. If they don't then Toshiba has lost a good customer because I will find a company that will provide me with that option. I will not use Vista for at least several iterations so I know it is pretty stable and then I will relent only because, by then, most of my needed programs will be truly Vista compatable, or at least not cost a great deal to upgrade to a new version that is.

Collapse -
TOSHIBA SATELIITE A135-2306----$399 ON FEB 3, 2007
by maddy1873 / August 1, 2007 1:25 PM PDT

The gentleman who has the comment about when needing to purchase another laptop and wanting Toshiba to allow him to customize using the Windows XP operating system better hop to it. It is not Toshiba that will not let him build with XP it is Microsoft, I am an Account Rep. for HP, I had the same situation with a customer 4 days ago.
I know you can still have one built with XP but not for long. You can go to Best Buy and have one of the Business Center sales people help you with all of your specs. But, this item is considered a special order.
I HATE, HATE, HATE Vista!!!!!!!!! Okay there I said it. HP will give me anything I need except a computer so I bought this piece of crap with Vista and there are still so many things wrong with it. Drivers uninstalling, Windows crashes all the time, it is such a headache!
A computer purchased now with Vista is much better than the ones that first came out. They already have some of the updates.
Take my advice and do it now if you are serious about wanting XP in a 2007 computer.

Collapse -
The problem with getting
by orlbuckeye / August 2, 2007 12:02 AM PDT

XP on a new machine now is if it's a Santa Rosa processor with the NVIDIA 8 series the drivers for XP aren't there. It's the reverse problem that we had when Vista came out. Lot of the vendors weren't ready for Vista. Now most pc's are Vista and the software emphasis is on Vista drivers.

Collapse -
Alright.
by joanharry / August 3, 2007 1:23 PM PDT

Hello...how good is this laptop you got? WHere did you get it....i think the reason why you didn't like the VISTA is due to low memory...you ganna enjoy the memory if its can be uprageded.

Regards
Joan

Collapse -
Toshiba Satellite P205 S6247 Laptop Computer - Intel Pentium
by cadmandoo / August 3, 2007 7:22 PM PDT
Collapse -
I paid $409 for a refurbished Dell 600m
by 44yearoldgamer / August 1, 2007 12:35 PM PDT

I bought a refurb from Dell. I am pretty happy with it.

It has a 14" screen, celeron m processor, wireless g, 30 gig HD and a DVD burner. I had to add memory to it to get it to 768 megs. That added another $50 to the price.

I've had it for a year and it serves it's purpose, plus at that price point I am not so worried about it getting damaged. I will probably use it for another year before upgrading.

I use it mostly for web surfing and watching movies, although I have played Call of Duty on it. I like to sit on the front porch and read the news a lot using the wi-fi.

I admit that I do have a desktop rig and consoles for gaming.

Collapse -
$499 laptop
by way2muchtyme / August 1, 2007 12:42 PM PDT

I paid $499, including S&H, for an Acer5100-3949 Aspire, refurbished
for my daughter to take to college. It had all the specs the school suggested plus more. She's very happy with it.

Collapse -
Dell Inspiron 1501, $700
by ffd55 / August 1, 2007 12:55 PM PDT

17" screen, 120gb hard drive, 1 gb ram, not a bad laptop for the price.

Collapse -
Laptop cost
by wgavitt / August 1, 2007 12:57 PM PDT

U paid $749 for my Averatec 3250 in Nov 2005.
I is more than adequate for a travel companion.

Collapse -
HPPavillion DV9000 for $1099
by Gailwig / August 1, 2007 1:01 PM PDT

1.66GHz Intel

Collapse -
i got a dell e1505
by joellim / August 3, 2007 1:01 PM PDT

i just bought my dell inspiron e1505 less than 6 months ago
a bit less than $1000
core 2 duo 1.73 mhz
2gb ddr2 ram
ATi x1400
dvd writer
100GB HD
bluetooth
windows vista premium

Collapse -
Sony Vaio AR11S - Bit over $3000
by youcangetholdofjules / August 1, 2007 1:03 PM PDT

Best laptop I have ever owned, even better than the TX27 that I have.

Collapse -
FREE lol
by x.killeddestiny.x / August 1, 2007 1:03 PM PDT

Ya my friends a complete noob and did somethign to screw it up so he bouht a new one and my computer was dieing so I was like hey can I have it and he said sure so I gutted it and spent three days on the CNET forums and got it running perfectly for free. Its a Dell Inspiron 1300
- Celeron M (1.4ghz)
- 512 mb ram
- 80 gb hdd
- 8x dvd-rw drive
- 14.1 inch screen

Its not a bad laptop but it defenitly needs some upgrades but I love the price lol

Collapse -
$1200 (3 years ago)
by ostateclarett13 / August 1, 2007 1:07 PM PDT

I bought a Toshiba Sat A-75, which just died 5 days ago. THE WORST PC I have ever owned, it got too hot all the time, which eventually killed it. It wasn't even 3 years old yet, but it got close.

Collapse -
Toshiba ...
by Watzman / August 1, 2007 1:37 PM PDT
In reply to: $1200 (3 years ago)

Toshiba has made, and still makes, some great laptops; I've owned mostly Toshiba, including an A135 right now, and very, very happy with them all. But they have also had a few real losers, and yours may be one of them. Do a google search, there are a few models that they are going to exceptional lengths to resolve these issues, they are repairing some of these models even years out of warranty and in a few cases just replacing them. This only applies to a few models that had clear systemic problems, but yours may be one of those. A google search will tell you pretty quickly.

And Toshiba, if you are listening: You lost a recent sale (last week) to Gateway because you switched to AMD components. I almost bought one of your laptops about a month ago until I found out it had an AMD (ATI) chipset. More recently, I've passed on several of your models that I was considering (I needed another laptop) because they had AMD CPUs. Some people may not care, but I do, and among my requirements were a Core Duo (or even Core 2 Duo) CPU and an Intel chipset, and all of your laptops I've seen lately in the price range I was looking at ($500 to $700) had AMD processor and/or chipset. In this case, it cost you the sale, I went with a Gateway (see my other post).

Collapse -
That particular model......
by Igiveup2 / August 5, 2007 4:09 PM PDT
In reply to: $1200 (3 years ago)

is eligible for a warranty extension until November, 2007 under the terms of a class-action lawsuit settlement.

Collapse -
Acer
by breade98 / August 1, 2007 1:12 PM PDT

I paid $999 for an Acer Laptop

Collapse -
My Laptop
by angustrappitt / August 1, 2007 1:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Acer

Dell XPS M1710- 3 Months Old

2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo, 3 GB of RAM, 200 GB 7200RPM SATA RAID High Performance HDD, Blu Ray Drive, 512 MB Nvidia GeForce Go 7950 GTX. Good laptop over $2,000 but well worth it for the enjoyment i've had out of it

Collapse -
I Don't Own Any Stinkin Laptop
by stanny1 / August 1, 2007 1:12 PM PDT

Never Have. I don't need portability Because I don't travel very much. Laptops have always been obsolete when you buy them, almost impossible to upgrade, and require lots of accessories. Printing options require added bulk. Laptops are also huge theft targets.
At home, I can have my huge graphics monitior and a computer with awesome capabilities. Fast video cards, multiple kinds of printers, scanners, awesome sound system. To me, laptops are just expensive toys that have serious limitations. If I want portable internet, there are smaller devices.

Collapse -
I agree with don't own any stinkin laptop
by morninglory / August 2, 2007 1:38 AM PDT

I spend WAY too much time on my desktop PC as it is. I should be outside getting some exercise, reading a book, cleaning house (ugh!), playing with my dog, etc. If I had a laptop I don't think I would ever get anything else done. Now if I used it in a business that would be a different matter. My computer is for enjoyment (LOL) only.
(I am going to hang out some clothes now and yes, I have a clothes dryer but the sun if free to use).

Collapse -
i paid
by ponie2kool / August 1, 2007 1:13 PM PDT

$800 for a refurb. But looks totally new 7322GZ Gateway on Tigerdirect.com
2.8 GHz
512 MB
80 GB hard drive
32 MB integrated video card

Collapse -
I paid 1835.00
by teacee90 / August 1, 2007 1:18 PM PDT

Well worth it, my 4th laptop in 7 years, and the best so far, I have it connected to my HD Direct Tv Satellite Box and have recorded a lot of programs and I love the builtin tivo with the media center.

Product Name dv9260nr
Hardware
Microprocessor 2.00 GHz Intel

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.