TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

How much clearance does a stereo receiver need?

by bikeboat / May 23, 2010 2:53 PM PDT

I have an alcove in my living room with shelves where my stereo components are kept but the space between shelves is only 5.2 inches tall. The new receiver I want to buy is 5.9 inches (a standard 100watt model but highly rated) If I take the little feet/pads off the bottom of the receiver it will fit. But I'm wondering if it would be too tight or enclosed or may overheat or something? (both the front and back of the shelf is open)
Thanks for any help.
Ed

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How much clearance does a stereo receiver need?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How much clearance does a stereo receiver need?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's probably too tight.
by minimalist / May 23, 2010 3:10 PM PDT

You need at least an inch (preferably more) of airspace. Even with that you could get significant heat buildup (I actually drilled a grid of holes in the back of my entertainment center to help ventilate it more and the receiver still gets toasty.

I'd look for a slimmer line receiver or think of a way to get your components into a different piece of furniture.

Collapse -
Take Great Care
by WildClay / May 24, 2010 1:56 AM PDT

That is very tight, your manual will actually tell you what the maker thinks is the minimum.

What is of more concern is taking the feet off to make it fit, if there are grills/holes in the bottom then this is no good, if when put in place teh opening in the grill on top is pressed nearly to the shelf above that is not good either.

Even at moderate volumes a receiver will generate a lot of heat in a hurry if it can't freely vent. You also need to look at the sides and make sure you have at least an inch on each side.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.