Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

How move mail etc to new computer, Netscape 7.0 to 7.1??

by gthoenen / July 7, 2004 1:36 PM PDT

I have just set up my new P4 computer with Win-XP(Home) and installed my new Netscape 7.1 on it. Now I want to move all my mail folders, bookmarks, etc., from my old Netscape 7.01 on my old P-III (running Win-98SE). Netscape Help gives a couple of procedures. One works fine -- for everything except all my old messages and folders. The instructions for the other procedure are most unclear, and what they say will happen doesn't happen.

Is there a reasonably clear set of instructions for doing this anywhere? It doesn't seem to be a particularly rare situation, so there must be _some_ way to do it. Any suggestions, referrals, etc. would be much appreciated.

-- Gary Thoenen

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How move mail etc to new computer, Netscape 7.0 to 7.1??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How move mail etc to new computer, Netscape 7.0 to 7.1??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: How move mail etc to new computer, Netscape 7.0 to 7.1??
by mlouise007 / December 12, 2004 2:03 PM PST

Have you had any success? I also have a new computer and want to transfer my Netscape mail folders. I'm running XP and NS 7.1 on both old and new computers and had no trouble with any transfers other than NS mail. I've tried a couple things from other on line help sources to no avail.

Collapse -
Re: How move mail etc to new computer, Netscape 7.0 to 7.1??
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2004 8:56 PM PST
Collapse -
How move mail (etc.) to new computer, Netscape 7+
by Betty Tiska / April 3, 2005 1:05 AM PST

Go into C:/program files/netscape/users/yourname/mail --- I used a File Manager-type application called Universal Explorer (www.spadixbd.com), put it into a split screen view and just dragged and dropped the e-mail files into my new PC. If you are on the same computer and the upgrade didn't pick up the old files, just drag and replace your (empty) new e-mail files with the old ones. If you're transferring from an old computer to a new one (and the old one has a burner), copy the C:/programfiles/netscape/users/yourname/mail to a CD and transfer the same way. Piece of cake!

Collapse -
But where ARE e-mail messages stored in Netscape mail 7.2?
by guldin / April 17, 2005 3:03 AM PDT

I am having great difficulty trying to import old e-mail messages into Netscape Mail 7.2, partly because I can not find where e-mail is stored in 7.2. (In 7.1 and 4.7, it was pretty straightforward as Betty T implies: You could look in program files/netscape/users/myname/mail and there it all was. I used that when I upgraded from Netscape Mail 4.7 to 7.1 about a year ago. No problem.
But a few weeks ago I got a new PC and at the same time downloaded Netscape 7.2. I expected to be able to load all my old e-mail into the new browser (I've got lots of work-related stuff in my old e-mails). But it's been impossible. When I go to tools>import>mail, like the Help function tells you to, it just will not work.
Anyone got any useful advice? (At this point I am still having to hold onto my old computer so I can still access my old e-mail stuff, which makes for a crowded desk.)
I cannot find my new e-mail anywhere on my hard drive-- where can it be?
BTW I WAS able to import my old address book, following Netscape 7.2 instructions. Simply tools>import>address book.
BTW, I have a Dell Pentium 4, running Windows XP home edition.
Thanks for any help,
Bob in Takoma Park, Md.

Collapse -
Somewhere...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2005 3:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
Where e-mail messages are stored
by Betty Tiska / April 17, 2005 11:15 AM PDT

On your old computer, go into My Computer/C/Program Files/Netscape/Users/YourName/Mail that's where your cache and all of your Netscape e-mail messages are stored. But BEFORE you try to transfer, put all of your old e-mails into folders in Netscape Mail on your old PC (or stick them all into one new folder called "Miscellaneous" --- you can sort them out after they're in your new PC). I too have a new Dell Pentium 4 running Windows XP and transferred all of my old e-mails files before I made the prior post last week. You can burn the file to a CD or a flash drive (if you don't have a burner on the old computer) and then bring up two My Computer screens in the new Dell to bring the old e-mails into the new PC and copy them to My Computer/C:/Program Files/Netscape/Users/YourName/Mail. Later you can sort out your old e-mails after they're in your new one. Good luck!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.