The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

How many viruses or Trojan horses wreaked havoc in 2005?

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / January 3, 2006 5:12 AM PST

How many viruses or Trojan horses wreaked havoc on your computer in 2005?

Four (which ones?)
Three (which ones?)
Two (which ones?)
One (which one?)
So many I've lost count (really, why so many?)
I have no clue if I've been infected (why not?)
None (Congrats! Tell us your secret of survival)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How many viruses or Trojan horses wreaked havoc in 2005?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How many viruses or Trojan horses wreaked havoc in 2005?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
virussssses
by bandaid69 / January 3, 2006 10:37 AM PST

I have a Mac.....no problem!

Collapse -
No problems here!
by Melissa Byers / January 3, 2006 10:58 AM PST
In reply to: virussssses

Amen to that! Macs rule!

Collapse -
Mac OS
by LongNoTsuki / January 4, 2006 5:57 AM PST
In reply to: No problems here!

Mac rocks

Collapse -
not yet
by mittens / January 3, 2006 11:40 AM PST

i use norton, my server uses mcafee, I have spybot, hijackthis, and a-squared, and I pay attention to what comes in. so far, so good. and I dont download everything in sight over the net.

Collapse -
Protection
by reginabally / January 3, 2006 1:32 PM PST
In reply to: not yet

Actually I think users should take a few actions to protect themselves from being attacked by viruses or any forms of attacks.
Installing antivirus, firewall and anti-spyware software and update them frequently will surely decrease your chance of being attacked. And remember to scan your computer once a month also.
Other than that, don't download anything suspicious on the Internet. Or even a file looks clean, scan it before you try to execute it.
Lastly, view only those websites which are from trusted sources.

Collapse -
No viruses here
by wiseloki / January 3, 2006 5:50 PM PST
In reply to: Protection

I agree with the above protection message.

I've had no viruses for over a year and before that NAV intercepted them (bad websites).

I keep XP Pro SP2 up to date with all fixes (using auto update), run NAV 2004, ZAP firewall (set on high), SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard, regular full system sweeps (weekly, along with NAV) with Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware SE and I'm just trying out Ewido. Use Firefox rather than IE6 whenever possible.

Be careful where you surf.

But I'm not complacent, I'm sure an element is still luck.

Collapse -
What I use
by Denise Neve / January 3, 2006 8:23 PM PST

I've always been fairly fanatical about keeping my computer free from these time wasting nasties. I use Norton Internet Security 2005 now 2006 which updates itself automatically almost daily. I have a Netgear router with its own Firewall as well. I also use Lavasoft AdAware Personal Plus, Spybot, and last but probably the most frequently, Spyware Doctor. I have a full deep Virus scan set up to run automatically twice a week. If I am in any doubt about an email attachment I delete it, however NIS scans ALL my incoming and outgoing email plus attachments so I feel fairly secure. Just hope I am not tempting fate!

Collapse -
norton doesn't catch then all
by sharee100 / January 3, 2006 10:58 PM PST
In reply to: What I use

I have the same things you do, plus a firewall, pluss both isp's have pre-screening and have stopped a couple of emails from arriving. But I still got a trojan and some viruses. I used counter spy. It caught stuff norton didn't. This is my last year with norton.

Collapse -
Please specify which Norton product you are dropping?
by DUKESofHAZZARD / February 14, 2006 12:04 PM PST

And how is CounterSpy going to block viruses if you say you are dropping Norton _______ (you fill in the blank letting us know if you are talking about Norton AntiSpyware or AntiVirus). I use CounterSpy antispyware which I think is great but not widely known. So if I'm to assume that you are dropping your Norton Antivirus to be protected by an antispyware program, how do you plan to keep your pc antivirus protected?

Collapse -
I agree with you
by tfaria96 / March 19, 2006 11:43 PM PST

I too have Norton Anty Virus 2005. I always upgrade it and it is always on. I had a Trojan Horse in my PC which Norton never detected. I too will not be renewing Norton I will be looking elsewhere for a new Anty Virus program.

Collapse -
Protection
by tmadd40 / January 4, 2006 12:23 AM PST

Just a little common sense will protect you and your computer. Use aol 9.0 security edition and keep your protection automatically updated. Don't open any email where you do not recognize the sender. Don't let curiosity win over good judgement.

Collapse -
Apple's the way to avoid viruses.
by nevido / January 3, 2006 10:15 PM PST

I've been on a Mac for years, never a virus. Used to use a detection software that showed some Word files infected when they arrived, but they didn't harm us.
Worked in an office full of Macs and one PC. Every now and then we'd get mail messages bounced that we didn't send and we'd think "Oh no we've got a virus"! Turns out it was that one PC using our house mailing list. Our tech support guy spent most of his time keeping the PC running.

Collapse -
Ditto on the Mac
by DataMatrix-20929056161579 / January 4, 2006 12:27 AM PST

There are no known viruses for the Mac OS-X. I hear there are a couple of "proof of concept viruses", but they are not in the wild.

Collapse -
Many Macs, no worries. 1 PC, constant woes.
by drehus / January 4, 2006 12:38 AM PST

Our entire firm runs everything from design and production to billing on Macs. We have never had a single virus problem in 15 years of business. Except for our solitary PC which is used by our salesman who refused to make the switch to a Mac. His PC requires constant attention and the man hours he puts into keeping it clean and virus free pretty much eliminates and savings the other 7 people gain by being on the Mac platform. Well, at least I don't have 10 like him.

Collapse -
Many Macs vs 1PC
by Erique / January 4, 2006 2:58 AM PST

I can't understand how you can have all these problems with your PC, well I have none. I never get a virus or a trojan or any other problems either. Of course I have the good sense to use a firewall and an antivirus. As you can see from the poll, I and 71 percent of PC users didn't get a single virus in the last year. So you should be asking what is your employee doing to get these viruses. The thing I like most about my PC is the price and ability to run just about every software package on the market. Sincerely, Eric Strong

Collapse -
71 percent of "personal computer" users, not just windows. .
by zoltanb / January 4, 2006 5:01 AM PST
In reply to: Many Macs vs 1PC

This poll is for all computer users. I'm a Mac user, and I'm one of the folks who selected "none".

Collapse -
That still leaves about 70% PCs
by Erique / January 4, 2006 1:00 PM PST

Since 95% of "Personal Computers" are PCs, it still shows that a large majority of PC users are virus free. I'm glad for those of you who are happy with your MAcs, but if you chose a Mac for its virus protection, it was a costly choice. I have no problem keeping my computer virus free and I use free software to do it. Avg antivirus has not let one by. And Windows XP firewall works fine. Before XP I used Zone Labs free firewall.

Collapse -
Will 2006 see a better or a less significant Windows?
by matthewm0 / January 4, 2006 2:52 AM PST

Amen about the Macs. I've had an eMac for almost 4 years and never a problem. I've had a Windows XP laptop for about 4 weeks and I have literally spent a third of my time downloading protection and scanning for virus and spyware. Can't wait to see the new Mac notebooks and find out if Google has a non-Windows OS PC in the works.

Collapse -
Better Windows?
by Erique / January 4, 2006 1:11 PM PST

I think it will be better. I especially like the switch to Vector graphics from bitmap. They have had five years to work on it, surely they can make it a little better, although I haven't had any problems with XP. From what I have read it sound like a winner.

Collapse -
Mac vs PC
by Erique / January 4, 2006 12:46 PM PST

Some of my friends use Macs. I have used PCs 17 years. I have taken some training on the Mac. It takes some getting used to. I'll stick with my PC for a lot of reasons. I got the same software for my PC that my instructor uses on Her Mac. My PC is a lot faster than a Mac. It cost a lot less than a Mac. There is more software available for PCs, etc. etc. And like the others have said, firewall + antivirus + common sence = no trojans, virus or other malware.

Collapse -
How many viruses or Trojan horses wreaked havoc in 2005?
by Ove Nielsen / January 3, 2006 10:52 AM PST

NONE!
WinXp and Norton firewalls + Norton antivirus seems to have done a perfect job!

Collapse -
Clean and Clear
by kenethr / January 3, 2006 12:27 PM PST

The use of Norton System Works and Personal Firewall(recently upgraded to the 2006 version)along with WindowsXP professional(updated regularly) in cooperation with a router reprogrammed from the default settings have keep my familys computers safe.

Collapse -
No Viruses
by zulukop2 / January 3, 2006 2:09 PM PST
In reply to: Clean and Clear

No offense mean to Norton users but I have worked on other people's computer who have had problems and Norton found no viruses. Yet when I installed VCOM System Suite it found many viruses and fixed them all. I have used this program since they were owned by Ontrack and never yet have had a virus. With their firewall and many other features, it has me convinced that it is as good as it gets. It does not hurt to use Spyware either.

Collapse -
No viruses so far
by IrisRose / January 3, 2006 12:29 PM PST

I have Norton, Zone Alarm Firewall, Spybot Search and Destroy, Ad Aware, Ewido. Most helpful has been postini, which has caught all but two viruses. Norton caught those.

Collapse -
Easy protection
by TheJakeR / January 3, 2006 1:55 PM PST

I used the following periodically for sucessful protection:

PCCillin antivirus and antispyware
Adaware v6.0
Spybot

No software firewall, not even the windows firewall enabled! Just a router that works as a basic hardware firewall.

Collapse -
No secret: A good AV & a good firewall (freeware, btw)
by Argie-Salvador / January 3, 2006 9:37 PM PST

With the help of God (if there's one) my 2 PC's (one at home and one at the office) have been free of viruses/worms/trojans for the past 12 years i.e. since Windows 3.0. God was in turn supported by a good and always updated AV (Avast) plus a good and always updated firewall (ZoneAlarm). These two came into the picture after 6 years of McAffee's AV.

Lavasoft's Ad-aware is in charge of the spyware two or theree times a week with a monthly intervention of SpyBotSD.

My brother in law had in March 2005 the cheek of downloading to my home PC the Norton s**t combo, which resided there (I only use this machine for some 15 minutes per week, to download messages and check its protections) for almost one month until my wife (the English Literature Mistress) complained about PC sluggishness. I found the cause immediately (Patsy, where did you get this Norton AV from?) and threw it down the drain.

Cross my fingers now...

Collapse -
AVG & Zone Alarm Pro
by donmau / January 4, 2006 12:48 AM PST

I've been using AVG (free) antivirus and Zone Alarm Pro firewall and haven't had a virus in over two years. Just keep 'em updated, along with all of the Windows XP updates.

Collapse -
AVG and XP Automatic Updates
by KevinK / January 4, 2006 12:42 PM PST
In reply to: AVG & Zone Alarm Pro

I have AVG 7 free version, the windows xp firewall and automatic updates enabled. (Win XP Pro SP2) I also use a hardware router between all pc's and the dsl modem. So far in 3 yrs have not had a virus or trojan on any machine.

Using Firefox and Thunderbird has probably helped, there just aren't as many exploits targetted at them..

AVG is a very good solution, updates are frequent, and in the 5 yrs I have used it not one infected email has been slipped through the cracks.

Collapse -
I answered none because , , , , ,
by Jeff_H / January 3, 2006 10:59 AM PST

I answered "none" (knock on wood <g>) because of the components I use to stay safe. They include a hardware firewall (Linksys router), AVG antivirus, Spybot S&D, Adaware, and Spyware Blaster. This combo has served me well.

Collapse -
None that I know of.....
by CrazyBare / January 3, 2006 11:14 AM PST

None that I know of.... I use mozilla FireFox with Norton AV and have a linksys router. Not sure if I have a firewall, but probably do, as I had WinXP.

What would be a good spyware program? Is there one that will still allow music downloading?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.