The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

How many utilities do you use to protect against spyware?

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / February 15, 2006 7:32 AM PST

How many utilities do you use to protect against spyware (and what are they)?

More than five
None (why not?)
What's spyware?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How many utilities do you use to protect against spyware?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How many utilities do you use to protect against spyware?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by fulltimesheep / February 15, 2006 9:10 AM PST

Spybot S&D and Adaware. I'm looking around for a third one.

Collapse -
1 resident, 1 standby, with occasional trial of a third.
by Argie-Salvador / February 16, 2006 10:52 PM PST
In reply to: Two

Ad-Aware S&D is my resident anti-spyware (ASW) software.

Even when my OS is XP Pro, I have its ASW tool decommisioned.

From time to time I run the Spybot to check upon Ad-Aware's efficiency. It always finishes up with the ''Congratulations'' notice.

Every time a new one is offered on a trial version I pick it, scan my PC and see what happens before uninstalling it thereafter. Save one or two times when something not really important was found, no new ASW proved yet more effective than Lavasoft's great product in either version (free or paid).

Collapse -
I use Ad Aware SE v1.06 and Microsoft's AntiSpyware beta
by unclerob / February 17, 2006 12:02 AM PST

.... I have also recently downloaded & installed Microsoft's Defender beta which has yet to find anything which is a good thing, I keep my systems pretty clean. I found a combination of Ad Aware SE v1.06 & MS AntiSpyware do the trick very well. If I'm really worried, I boot up WinXP into safe mode and then perform a couple scans with each apps, this pretty much ensures that any crap is detected & removed.

No one seems to mention booting up in safe mode to perform spyware scans & removal, if you're system is really messed up, it's pretty much essential to boot up into safe mode - it's the only way to thorougly locate & remove any nasty stuff on your pc.

Also a good rootkit detect is a must, you can get try a free eval version at

... just my 0.02 cents cdn.

Collapse -
TWO - just isn't enough....
by windy0062 / February 17, 2006 1:28 AM PST

Two anti-spywares just isn't enough. I have two running all the time - MS Beta 1.07 and Spybot Search and Destroy 1.3. I also have Ad-Aware SE and CA Anti-Spyware. My Anti-Virus of choice is also CA.

MS A/S runs constantly and comes live about 2 am every morning for a complete system scan. It blocks lots of spyware but it practically never "finds" any on a scan.

I run SB S&D weekly and it typically finds about 25-35 baddies that MS Beta allows to pass through. This number varies depending on how much I have used the internet, but I seldom go to new or different web sites. When I do the above numbers increase.

Next I run Ad-Aware SE and it typically finds 5-8 that have been missed by both of the above.

If I reverse the order they numbers almost reverse. But not quite. AA SE will catch the 25-35 but SB S&D will pick up 10-12 that are missed.

I just purchased the CA A/S program and am about to install and run it. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, it picks up after the other three.

Now to costs. MS and AdAware SE are FREE programs. SB S&D costs $30 and is maybe the best $30 I have spent recently. CA A/S is bundled with CA A/V and costs. But from all reports it is well worth the price - and CA A/V for my money is the #1 anti-virus program out there. I've been using it, succdessfully and happily, for over 7 years.

Windy -

Collapse -
Two of the Best I have found!
by broncsfan1968 / February 17, 2006 3:11 AM PST

Adware SE personal addition and Zone Alarm's Security Suite.

Collapse -
How many utilities do you use to protect against spyware?
by jpmull / February 17, 2006 3:11 AM PST

I use:
Microsoft beta
then run Panda Scan - free online. It will pick up items that all the rest will not. Free version will not eradicate them but will inform you they are there

Collapse -
Two is all
by essexboy / February 17, 2006 10:10 PM PST

With spywareblaster and currently Defender zilch, nothing nowt. Have tried others sometimes but all they find is tracking cookies which get deleted when I close my browser. You only need more if you visit dubious sites, or download suspect software

Collapse -
(NT) Two is ample
by essexboy / February 17, 2006 10:15 PM PST

Spywareblaster and Defender thats it and all I get is tracking cookies. The best antispy of all though is commonsense

Collapse -
Two working
by SkyPiper / February 18, 2006 2:31 PM PST

I use AdAware and also Zone Alarm. They seem to do the job.

Collapse -
by TechDiva / February 15, 2006 10:46 AM PST

Spybot, Adaware, Microsoft Antispyware

Collapse -
by Marv / February 16, 2006 9:36 PM PST
In reply to: Three

I run the same three

Collapse -
And me
by loosechippings / February 17, 2006 1:12 AM PST

and each one finds a few different things.

Collapse -
Same here
by McKendrick / February 17, 2006 2:04 AM PST

I leave Microsoft and Spybot resident (real-time protection), have Microsoft set to scan each night, and scan manually with the other two periodically.

Collapse -
Three for me
by Shirley Ray / February 19, 2006 11:30 AM PST

Spybot, Ad-Aware and Norton Anti-Spyware, plus I have Ewido for Malware. Norton usually doesn't find anything. Ran Ad-Aware today and found 3.

Collapse -
Just one
by bulldogzerofive / February 15, 2006 9:37 PM PST

and its the only one you need.

Over a year now and not a single malware infection of any kind, and I go to some pretty questionable sites.

Collapse -
Just One....yes?
by windy0062 / February 17, 2006 1:34 AM PST
In reply to: Just one

So how about installing a different one. We don't know what you are using but if its MS try Ad Aware. If its Ad Aware, try MS.

Once installed, run it and find out just how accurate you really are in your "None, no infections ever" assessment. Then get back to me with your results.

I'm really interested in 1) which program you actually use for these phenomanal and fantastic results, and 2) if your assessment holds up under the second test?

Collapse -
by Maggie6243 / February 16, 2006 12:35 PM PST

I use: Avast,Spyware Blaster,Ewido,CW Shredder,C Cleaner,Ad-Aware SE Personal.

Collapse -
by Casperius / February 16, 2006 6:26 PM PST

I use 3 utilities, Ad-Aware SE 1.06, SpyBot Search & Destroy 1.4, SpyWare Blaster 3.5.1

Collapse -
by JanRZ / February 16, 2006 7:01 PM PST

Microsoft AntiSpyware (beta) and Ad-aware.

Collapse -
Spyware protection
by quilwils / February 16, 2006 7:23 PM PST

I use
Ad-Aware SE
Spybot S+D
Pest Patrol
Spyware Doctor
Spyware Blaster

Collapse -
I run two Ad-ware and Mcafee
by Crazy George / February 19, 2006 2:31 AM PST
In reply to: Spyware protection

The way I look at it none of them really does the job
and we could run twenty, just about everyone of them are going to find something different.
It depends on who does the programing and if a web sit is there parten as to wherth or they get put on there.

Collapse -
Utility use
by varndt / February 16, 2006 7:24 PM PST

I use three products.
Norton Protection Center
Webroot Spysweeper
Zone Alarm Firewall

Collapse -
sounds like a good mix but
by unclerob / February 17, 2006 12:12 AM PST
In reply to: Utility use

I personally wouldn't use a Norton Internet Security product - they're too error laden, don't offer enough protection for the money spent on that product and all too often use more system resources than they're protecting.

Your other choices are rock solid and should definitely give you decent protection, Zone Alarm is a decent firewall product for sure! Webroot Spysweeper is an awesome product, I've used it in the past in conjuction with other anti spyware apps to root out even the most hidden spyware/malware crap on a user's pc.

Collapse -
by CG-TG / February 16, 2006 7:24 PM PST

Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta 1 (Now Beta 2)

We used to used Ad-Aware, but since they lost the lawsuit to Gator, it does not remove their stuff, and they are one of the biggest offenders.

Collapse -
Just two
by little eagle / February 16, 2006 7:55 PM PST

Spybot S&D does just about as good as any of them. Ad-aware SE picks up most of what Spybot doesn't. What gets by them I use hijackthis to get rid of.

Since antispyware is like antivirus (AV) I recommend at least two. One may update before the other. However running two AV's is never a good idea as they tend to conflict with each other.

Collapse -
by PC_Nerd-Henry_Chan / February 16, 2006 8:09 PM PST

Lavasoft ad-aware and avg. I only use three stuff.

Collapse -
by Ryan M / February 16, 2006 8:17 PM PST

AVG Free and Microsoft AntiSpyWare keep me clean even when I'm being dirty. . .

Collapse -
Two / Three
by jparker42 / February 16, 2006 8:31 PM PST

Currently using Avast and Microsoft Antispyware (formerly Giant). I used to have Adaware (which I should really put back on) and NAV - which I did not re-install after it caused complete corruption of my C drive.

Collapse -
FIVE! Can't Beat a Belt-&-Braces Approach!
by Papi11on / February 16, 2006 8:45 PM PST

1. SpyBot Search and Destroy
2. Ad-Aware
3. SpyBlaster 3.5.
4. AOL's own spyware
5. Yahoo's own spyware

Collapse -
get rid of spyblaster ...
by unclerob / February 17, 2006 12:14 AM PST

I don't use AOL so I would have no use for their spyware product or yahoo's offering. Ad Aware &
Spybot are definitely top notch products which take care of any spyware, you're just using up extra HD space and getting no added protection by using SpyBlaster, AOL or Yahoo's spyware apps.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.