Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How many times can Windows & Office XP be installed ?

by lee9999 / July 6, 2005 6:37 AM PDT

Please help me with this question:
I have 3 PCs at home, not for business purpose.
I plan to upgrade the Windows OS and Office to XP.
I heard of rumors in market that there is a limit on how many times of the installation.
How many times is a user allowed to install Windows & Office XP, if the user needs to format the hard drive, or has multiple PCs ?

Thank you !

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How many times can Windows & Office XP be installed ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How many times can Windows & Office XP be installed ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How many times can Windows & Office XP be installed
by jcrobso / July 6, 2005 6:52 AM PDT

Per MS one time per linces. after that your on your own. John

Collapse -
How many times can you install Windows XP
by cmmack / July 8, 2005 11:01 PM PDT

I have installed and reinstalled the same Win XP a total of 6 times on my computer either for HD failure or just cleaning up my HD to start over. It is true you can not re activate XP online after the Third time; however, if you use the phone to reactivate and tell them you are reinstalling on the same computer they will re activate for you.

Collapse -
Single use only.
by Dick White / July 6, 2005 6:58 AM PDT

Each computer must have its own product activation key. You type in the key during the installation, and within 30 days of installation it must be registered with Microsoft. If the key has been used previously anywhere else in the world, your copy stops working.

The key becomes registered to the unique characteristics of the hardware in that machine. You can reinstall that key to the same machine again and again, but that's only because the product activation service recognizes it as the same hardware.

For the Office suite, you might consider getting the "academic" version if you qualify. The software isn't any different, but the student pricing is much lower and you can install up to 3 systems per key.

dw

Collapse -
office installation
by dawatcher / September 14, 2005 2:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Single use only.

Whilst it is true that Windows XP can only go on one machine per key, Office (at least 2003) can be installed on a desktop system AND a laptop under the same key as stated in the EULA for office 2003.

Collapse -
To add confusion...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 14, 2005 2:55 AM PDT
In reply to: office installation

Which I wish wasn't the case. OEM installed Office doesn't offer that feature.

At least we have http://openoffice.org as a fine alternative.

Bob

Collapse -
Xp @ Office installs
by Richard64 / July 6, 2005 8:21 AM PDT

As far as the number of times these can be install I have never heard of a limit, the worst would be you would have to use the phone to activate. Microsoft Policy is pretty clear as far as the number of machines you can install one copy on. I copy (license)one machine and with Activation they are very Strict with this. You can always purchase Multiple licenses to cover multiple machines. Hope this helps

Richard

Collapse -
Office is now the same
by glb613 / July 6, 2005 8:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Xp @ Office installs

One computer per license. If you try to install it on a second machine, it won't activate. How do I know? I tried it.

Collapse -
Windows / Office installations
by andrewdallison / July 7, 2005 11:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Office is now the same

There is no limit on how many times your original cd's will install, of course it is totally illegal to make any copies and sell them to anyone ie: friends/family/clients etc etc. The Software was sold to you for your Personal use only !!!, and must only be used in your OWN PC for which it was most likley licensed / Registered, you are not even allowed to sell your PC to another person without removing the software either.
Think that answers that question correctly.

Collapse -
Office XP
by kathyjean / July 14, 2005 12:09 PM PDT

So what your saying is... I've already paid for Office XP and am using it in my home for personal reasons but, now that I am ready to buy another computer I'm not going to be able to load the disk into the new computer and must instead; buy it again?

Collapse -
Office XP
by Themisive / July 15, 2005 12:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Office XP

No, what it means is that each time XP recognises a new motherboard it will tell your to re-activate it, after that it's fine

Collapse -
yea, yr right?!!!
by jonacad / November 5, 2008 12:39 AM PST

Everybody knows about the laws, which are inhumane anyway for everyday life. So who cares. Yea, I bought a office software and I let all of my family members and friends install in their laptop/desktop. Never had a problem with activation stuffs. I have a software key and now I am a boss. BTW, I am not using for any commercial reason. Its all about typing a book, homework and stuffs for everyday life.
So I think, there is no limitation for on how many times you can install ms office xp. I have installed to almost 50 computers till date without any problems. so guys find a friend who has it and cheers.
Goodluck. These company are making more than enough money on one software and nobody cares of their illegality.

Collapse -
install XP on the machine
by jw1ls5n0129 / July 8, 2005 4:22 AM PDT

Simple as the disc can be used on any server but,its the number that is the trouble,you can put the disc on any ,or as many but,the number must be new for every machine and that is what you pay for ,also one point Microsoft does not keep the number and you try to download say a directory x and they will ask you for the disc number then they say it could be OK but,to make sure we can sell you a new XP disc.I have in the past wrote to them and said it is a big con and should be looked into. I also have the e.mail they sent me on the matter,its not good enough.Yohan.

Collapse -
oem windows xp
by djefffs / July 9, 2005 11:02 PM PDT

the problem is with oem. windows xp ..it will allow on one hard drive and if that fails windows say you should refer to your computer manufacture which if you built it your self is a problem it is not like windows 98 you cannot relinstal every3 or 4 months they say you have exceded the number of times and say no

Collapse -
I did it
by funnieguy89 / August 7, 2005 5:19 AM PDT

i don't think this helps. in fact it might even make you mad, but i've installed XP prolly a dozen times on my comp + i've installed Office several times on multiple machines with no problems, and no these were not the multiple install disks either. sorry bout that just thought i'd say that.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Short version - one copy per machine, period.
by Coryphaeus / July 6, 2005 10:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
Read This
by Merl Priester / July 6, 2005 4:00 PM PDT

Each Copy of Windows will only install and activate on ONE machine. That is it.

As far as Office. If you get the retail or OEM licencse you still only get ONE install per computer.

It does not matter if you activate over the internet or the phone, it is the same activation.

As Mr. White stated, if you qualify, the Academic version will let you install on THREE computers with the smae Product code. You still have to activate each one, but Microsoft will activate all three.
It comes with Word Excel Powerpoint and Outlook. If you need Access or other Office software you cannot get them with the Academic Suite.
Costco sells Academic Office for around 129.00

Collapse -
Correct me if I'm wrong
by Alan Copeland / July 6, 2005 10:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Read This

but won't Microsoft give you a new key if you call and explain you are changing PCs?

Collapse -
minor correction...
by Dick White / July 6, 2005 11:56 PM PDT

If you have a retail version, AND if you have a completely convincing story about how you are changing out all your hardware and there is no possibility that the previous instance of the operating system ever reappearing anywhere else in the world, yes, they'll give you a replacement key so you can transfer your license to the new system.

If you have an OEM system, that license is limited to the machine it was installed on. If you upgraded some of the peripherals in an OEM system, enough to push the hardware hash out of range, you might be able to talk them into giving you a replacement key, but only because they will be able to see that the core of your system is still there and you aren't porting the OS to another system.

dw

Collapse -
Have not had problem
by Merl Priester / July 7, 2005 10:57 AM PDT
In reply to: minor correction...

I have not had them ever give a new product key.
If it will not activate on the new system automatically, you call and explain and they give you an activation code that goes with your existing product key.

By the way just for information. Compaq PCs come with a 60 day trial of 3003 standard office. If you buy the Academic version and use that install code for the pre-installed software it works just fine. And it will let you use it 3 times without a problem.

I don't know if the pre-install is different in the activation methods it uses under the hood, but this means a Retail key worked on their pre-installed software.

I'm sure they can tell by the install key if it is OEM or retail though.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) 2003 not 3003 still a ways off in development
by Merl Priester / July 7, 2005 11:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Have not had problem
Collapse -
XP Professional and other things
by vaer999 / July 7, 2005 8:53 PM PDT

2 things guys:

Firstly, XP Professional does not require activation, something Microsoft slipped up on for some reason coz that is what all the pirates use to get their copies to work.

Secondly, has no-one got round to suing Microsoft over this 1 license per core machine issue? Im sure you could argue in a court you should be allowed to use the software for life if youve bought it. As people undoubtedly go for major upgrades every 2-3 years or even a new system this is just another con to strip more money off joe public which everybody has resigned to accept for some reason.

Collapse -
Activation
by baer57 / July 9, 2005 2:19 AM PDT

I have to jump in here, I have used the same copy of Windows XP home edition, on what is now my 3rd upgrade of motherboards and processors. for the first 2 I used the same memory and hardrives graphics cards, on this last one I started with all the same and after activating it, upgraded my graphics card and upgraded my memory 2 gigs, dual channel memory, have had no problems activating my copy of xp ever, and sometimes I reformat my system ever 2 to 3 months, and always activate it with no problems, so you can use the same copy as long as they know it is only on the one machine! So my last motherboard now has all the same parts except harddrives and case and it has windows 98 on it. I keep one machine for 98 cause I have some classic software that won't work on XP.

Collapse -
Get the Facts Correct
by Merl Priester / July 13, 2005 4:33 PM PDT

XP Pro DOES require activation if you have OEM or Retail.
Corporate does not require activation, it is a Volume User License (all copies use the same Product Key)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Sorry But XP Pro Does Require Activation
by Daviddude / August 7, 2005 7:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Alan Copeland / July 7, 2005 11:04 AM PDT
In reply to: minor correction...

Thanks for the clarification. I was talking about a retail version.

Collapse -
Win XP Pro
by wurten / July 7, 2005 10:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Dick

So I have 2 PCs: One is mine and the other my son's that I built. I tried loading XP Pro on his and called for and received a new registration number but have not been able to get the system to work. How does it know that I am not just reloading the SW on the same PC? It should work, right?

Collapse -
I would say contact MS
by Alan Copeland / July 7, 2005 11:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Win XP Pro

but they will not approve using same XP on two machines.

Collapse -
One XP Copy per PC
by Merl Priester / July 13, 2005 4:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Win XP Pro

The software looks at different pieces of hardware and makes HASH number using manufacturer codes etc from the hardware. Use the same product key on a different machines and the software knows.

Collapse -
How to transfer key
by PaulBron / July 7, 2005 10:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Read This

I have retail copy of Windows XP Professional and old PC where it is installed. I am planning to build new PC. Are there way exist to uninstall Windows XP from the old machine and install it on new PC.
Thanks.

Collapse -
Make the call
by Alan Copeland / July 7, 2005 11:17 PM PDT
In reply to: How to transfer key

Microsoft may well supply a new key.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.