Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

The CNET Lounge

General discussion

How many text messages have you sent in the last month?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / April 25, 2007 9:36 AM PDT

How many cell phone text messages have you sent in the last month?

-- 1 to 10
-- 11 to 30
-- 31 to 50
-- 51 to 100
-- 100-plus
-- So many I've lost count.
-- I don't do stinkin' text messages.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How many text messages have you sent in the last month?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How many text messages have you sent in the last month?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Kids
by DaveUssell / April 25, 2007 1:28 PM PDT

Break it down by age and I'll wager the big users are all teenagers. The first time my sixteen year old had a cell phone there were 4,000 text messages in the first three months. Much too much free time.

Collapse -
Great for many--useless to others
by rkbush / April 25, 2007 4:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Kids

Text messaging is a wonderful way for many to keep in touch, although I would think voice would be a better way, unless you have been kidnapped. I am always puzzled at how many people spend huge amounts of time on their cell phones...and most don't look like stockbrokers with hot leads. But--it is nice we have all the options to communicate available to those who need it. I don't even use a cell-phone.

Collapse -
Great for some USES, not for others
by martymouse / April 28, 2007 2:03 PM PDT

My husband and I have used text in situations where one of us is in a crowd and talking on the phone is useless. Also when the msg is more important than hearing someone respond back (ie sensitive family issues when only one of us is there). Or for fun like a holiday when he wrote "stall, stall..." or the present would not be a surprise to the person we were entertaining to pass some time. And I think so many people are nearly deaf that conversations get lost when not read. So I firmly believe there are times and places where it is useful and appropropriate. But in moderation. Done with addictive or habitual reliance (ie in the car) could spoil a good option for communication in other scenarios.

Collapse -
Kids too!
by harlemcarl / April 25, 2007 9:57 PM PDT

My Son the first time had 2500 to one girl as a part of his 4000. I don't want to throw the tub out with the bath water. Text has become vital part of quick effeiicent communication but there are dangers in empty commands. Many have been alienated by a quick text sounding like a barked command....all that leads to balance.

Text is here to stay, handle it wisely by keeping your eyes and heart open. 48 year old techie

Collapse -
And how old are you 60?
by sea.c.sea / April 25, 2007 11:13 PM PDT

I am 27 years old, hold two degrees and have a job that actually I find texting works great for. I also have a family and using it with them I find to be very beneficial, a huge time saver. I think the 40% of people who say they aren't texting are just doing it in a different form one for that matter takes longer it's called email.

Collapse -
It's not because of age
by marcco68 / April 26, 2007 12:25 AM PDT

It's because kids are open to new mediums while adults say "Why do I need this and how much will it cost?"

We're moving toward a future where we'll all be connected all the time and the kids understand and accept this. I get texts during the day, and I have my messenger on at work (for work and friends).

BTW- I'm 40yrs old! Yes, the kids overuse this, but if you open yourself to it, you'll find it definitely gives you to a unique form of loose conectivity.

Collapse -
Safety 4 kids
by betsbert / April 26, 2007 7:04 AM PDT

Hi Kee text mssageing has become the main way of kids 2 keep in touch wiv there parents & vice versa my grandson is 10 & I gave him my old mobile 4 him 2 keep in touch in the UK they R A must 4 kids

Collapse -
Text messaging efficency
by DaveUssell / April 26, 2007 9:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
Deaf family
by Ed Mueller / April 27, 2007 2:26 AM PDT

I am not deaf, but have 2 family members who are. Needless to say we all text message frequently. Additionally, I run a business and employ 2 deaf workers. If i need to reach them quickly, text messaging is the best route. I'm sure that my situation is somewhat unique, but between family and work, I could not do without it. Nearly every deaf person I know carrys a cell phone and relies on its text message capabilities, regardless of age.

Also, my wife and I now use it frequently. Since we're always on the run, it takes less time to read a text message than to call your voice mail.

The last thing I use it for to to send messages to my email inbox - reminders of what I need to do, what I need to order, appts, etc. I am a big fan of the text message.

Collapse -
Text Messaging
by GloriaMarie / April 25, 2007 1:31 PM PDT

It's interesting to find out that most of the people responding to the poll feel the same as I do about text messaging - no way. Have no interest in it.
Gloria

Collapse -
Not me
by kjpjr / April 25, 2007 1:41 PM PDT

I have a friend who sends them all the time. It cost us a dime each time she sent us one. She would send 10 to 15 a day so my cell phone bill basically doubled because of her HI how you doing! My cell phone service will let me block all text messages or an individual phone number but not just one texter so I had to block all text messages and it is wonderful

Collapse -
Not Me
by Biker Jon / April 25, 2007 7:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Not me

DITTO! I can't see paying to see email. If someone wants to write they can email. If they don't feel like talking they should wait until later. I had all text messages blocked on my phone too.

Collapse -
Why text?????
by kodiak53 / April 25, 2007 1:56 PM PDT

Isn't the idea behind a telephone to actually talk to a person? Text messaging is the most over rated extra on any cell phone. Get rid of it!!!!!

Collapse -
Text Messaging
by Royel91 / April 26, 2007 2:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Why text?????

I agree Kodiak. It is like telephoning a service to get answers and then getting animated questions that do not pertain to what you are seeking. TM is good only if the recipient has a cell phone that doesn't hold a signal when you call them. xceo37

Collapse -
Answer to why text
by Treker / April 26, 2007 8:54 AM PDT

Can't talk cause hubby's flying a plane, but can text. Need a quick item from the store but talking's not convenient - text. Gotta get some quick info to your loved ones, but they're unavailable to "talk" to - text! Why text? It really comes in handy quite a bit for us as a family and I'd HATE to see it go!

Collapse -
don't get rid of it
by yevegeniy / April 22, 2009 1:15 AM PDT

this is actually a fast communication! some people can not hear so they rely to texts! also in some situations you can't talk so you text because you have no time!

Collapse -
Shows the difference in clutures
by Avendon / April 25, 2007 2:32 PM PDT

Wow what a different group of people folk in the U.S. are from the rest of the world !
Europe, Australia and New Zealand have been texting for many years as a quick inexpensive way to communicate simple messages.
In Asia, for many people who have moved into the urban areas for work texting is the only affordable way to keep in contact with family members still living in rural areas. In the Philippines for example (I believe the Philippines is still the largest user of text messaging services) many people move into urban areas working as domestic staff. They can send a text message for only 1 peso to remain in contact with their family.

Collapse -
maybe difference in pricing
by kayatbucks / April 25, 2007 8:48 PM PDT

Maybe it's not the difference in cultures but difference in pricing structure. Here in US, we basically pay a flat fee for use of phone and certain times to certain people, it's free. People who have text messaging pay an exhorbitant fee the 1st time they experience it, then realize they need to get an unlimited plan and pay an extra $5/month for it. So we see text messaging as an added expense.

Collapse -
Price is the issue
by Joey301 / April 25, 2007 10:32 PM PDT

I agree with you. Everything adds another little expense and the phone plans are too expensive already. I don't think carriers try to compete in price anymore.
joey

Collapse -
Cell Phone Text Messages
by Snowhater / April 25, 2007 2:46 PM PDT

Absolute waste of time.

Collapse -
Asimov's 'Solaria'
by nboltz / April 25, 2007 2:54 PM PDT

Isaac Asimov's novel 'The Naked Sun' is set on the planet Solaria, a world colonized by 'spacers. In this world, viewing a holographic image of a person is preferred to actually being in the same room with them. In fact, it has reached the point where personal contact is feared, even despised. People live their entire lives in isolation, served by robots and never coming in personal contact with another human being except through 'viewing.' Even the proces of procreation occurs without personal contact between two humans.

While we're still a ways off from being an isolationist society, the current preoccupation with text messaging, and to a lesser extent, email and cell phones, certainly seems to be moving in that direction. Many people prefer to communicate with a disembodied voice or text on a screen than to interact with live human beings. Perhaps it's 'safer' or just easier. It certainly isn't better.

One final thought: There are situations where text messaging is superior. It's easier to ignore someone text messaging in a restuarant than when they're talking (at the top of their lungs) on their cell phone! But the real question is, why this need to be constantly connected? Communication is generally a good thing, but maybe it's becoming 'too much of a good thing'??

Collapse -
over 100
by ace58 / April 25, 2007 2:57 PM PDT

there are people who would rather talk then spend time composing & sending; i fully agree that there are situations where calling is more efficient than texting (for example, if you to ask for directions, then needed to clarify each direction). there are times, however, when texting is a better way of sending a message (in a moviehouse, while the other person is driving, or if you need to send info that the person will need to reference more than once).

if i were giving you an address, would you rather i dictated it to you, or that i send it to you in a text message?

most of the text messages i send have less than 20characters in them. (wer r u?, ok? i'm waiting outside.) i can't imagine doing a 5second phone call that costs 40x more than a text message just to send this kind of information.

Collapse -
You call yourselves techies?
by thenutmeg / April 25, 2007 3:03 PM PDT

Who are you all who don't use your phone to its fullest potential?

Collapse -
information overload
by doug2k5 / April 25, 2007 10:54 PM PDT

Its all 2 much. Information overload, and having someone lmowing your psition in the world all the time is Like "Big Daddy" watching over us.
Parents: for your children, its understandable.

Collapse -
Meh
by eibbor7 / April 25, 2007 3:06 PM PDT

I do send and receive text messages on occasion... but they're a complete pain in the *** in their current form.

The idea is nice. Text-messages can definitely be less intrusive. As a university student, it's nice to be able to communicate with people outside of the lecture hall without having to talk to them over the phone.

All that said, using a numeric keypad to enter text is STUPID. I don't care how good some kids are at it, it's among the worst ideas ever. I have no plan to make extensive use of this feature until I get a phone with a full keyboard, so it doesn't take me 5 minutes to write a sentence. Even then... I don't use my phone much in the first place. So, my text-messaging usage probably wouldn't increase much anyway.

Collapse -
Motorola Q
by daydrem / April 25, 2007 3:09 PM PDT

Verizon Wireless doesn't offer the best text messaging plans. But it is still my preferred way to communicate with friends, immediate family, and so on. When you find yourself typing 30 words a minute, you realize how much more convenient it is to send a text than to make a phone call.

Collapse -
text messaging for safety
by Markak1951 / April 25, 2007 3:12 PM PDT

My secretary text messages me so that I don't have to answer the phone when I am driving; it's a question of safety and economics as text messaging can be cheaper in the long run!

Collapse -
test while driving?
by PapaDann / April 25, 2007 3:19 PM PDT

Reading a text message while driving is AS dangerous ! I DO NOT use my CELL at all when driving. I also use a seat belt all the time! Have a good one!

Collapse -
Text messaging not safe at the wheel
by lewist / April 25, 2007 5:33 PM PDT

In Britain - where mobile phone text messaging is well established - either voice (without hands free) or texting while driving carries a

Collapse -
Text messaging is very useful
by FrankWoolf / April 25, 2007 3:17 PM PDT

Looks like many replies here are from those who have not really thought about it. I live in the Philippines and in Hong Kong. In the Philippines everyone uses text messaging heavily, often in preference to phone calls or email.

An example - I was president of a motorcycle club and often had to notify members of meetings, events, etc. Not all had email. I could send one message to all members just like an email and also just like email they could read and reply whenever they had time. With phone calls you get interupted in meetings or when concentrating on work and have to replay immediately with no time to consider your answer, check your schedule etc. When you are calling they are often busy, or out of range etc. Text messages are much more convenient in these circumstances. I also have a bad memory so having a record on my phone means I don't forget things so much.

Of course teenagers are the biggest users. text messaging is much cheaper than phone calls and most teenagers don't have a lot of cash.

My children in the Philippines have cellphones to text me where they are, what time they will be home etc. When I am in Hong Kong it is cheap for them to keep in touch with me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.