Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

How many songs do gigabytes REALLY hold?

by LaFlautista / November 30, 2007 7:47 PM PST

Depending on the sites I go to, some say that MP3s hold 250 songs per gigabyte. However when I viewed info about the Creative Zen V Plus (2GB), it says it holds up to 1000 songs. Does that really add up? :-P

I want a Creative Zen V plus, however all I want is 1000 songs. Should I just get a 4GB to be safe? Or save money and get a 2GB?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How many songs do gigabytes REALLY hold?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How many songs do gigabytes REALLY hold?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My imprecise method.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2007 9:25 PM PST

One AudioCD is from 650 to 700 megabytes. When I toss that into CDEX I see about a 10X reduction to 65 or less megabytes. Let's say there to 20 tracks on that CD.

At 2GB songs I get the following. 2000 MB / 70 MB * 20 = 571.42...

So they are not lying here. It could get to 1000 on average if I altered my CD ripper settings.

Collapse -
Re: mp3 size.
by Kees Bakker / November 30, 2007 11:53 PM PST

If you download a few mp3's to play on your PC, you'll note they are about 3 Mb. The exact size, of course, depends on the playing time (in minutes and seconds), on how good the original compresses and the compression quality. 1 Mb a minute is a good approximation, in practice.

I wouldn't trust 2 Gb to hold 1000 average downloaded songs. Just go for 4.

Collapse -
actual capacity...
by ktreb / December 1, 2007 3:40 AM PST

...will probably be a little bit less. I don't know about the Creative Zen V Plus since I don't own one. I have a 4GB iPod Nano, whose actual capacity of 3.6 GB. A small part of the difference is due to how a gigabyte is defined - for simplicity's sake it is defined as 1000 MB when it is actually 1024 MB. The rest is probably due to the operating system on the player.

If you look at the bottom Creative's specifications page for the V Plus you'll see this: "Song claim based on 4 minute song encoded at 128 kbps MP3. Available capacity will be less. Reported capacity will vary." That works out to 1 MB per minute, and if the actual capacity is less than 4GB, then you won't be able to fit 1000 songs.

You might want to do a little bit of experimenting with ripping your cds to figure out what bitrate will get you the quality you desire. You could go with a lower bitrate, so you'll be able to fit more. Or you may want to go higher and you'll fit less music.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.