The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

How many of us still listen to Vinyl Records

by brianooomac / January 28, 2008 5:34 AM PST

I wanted to know how many out there listen to Vinyl records all the time, occasionally, once in a blue moon, or the what is a Record question. All I know is like those big plasitic discs with their warm silky smooth sound.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How many of us still listen to Vinyl Records
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How many of us still listen to Vinyl Records
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have 2...
by shawnlin / January 28, 2008 11:11 AM PST

1) A news recording of the landing on the moon (my parents got it at a library sale...)
2) 1985 Bears Super Bowl Shuffle - oh yeah! Happy

Best,
Shalin

Collapse -
(NT) oh, I haven't listened to them in more than 10yrs...
by shawnlin / January 28, 2008 11:12 AM PST
In reply to: I have 2...
Collapse -
Yup....I do
by Loyal Fabersham / January 28, 2008 12:44 PM PST

I'm in the process of converting all of my vinyl to MP3's...I have hundreds of albums so it is going to take some time....but I get to listen to them ALL in the process so that is groovy.

Groovy...like my records....HAR..no wait...HEH

Collapse -
Vinyl records converted to MP3s
by isilberman / February 1, 2008 1:24 PM PST
In reply to: Yup....I do

I'm also enjoying listening to my old vinyl records as I'm converting them to MP3s. Now I'm wondering what to do with the old records? Have you decided what to do with yours? Any hope of selling them on eBay?

Collapse -
WAV is better than MP3
by sonnyeugene / February 3, 2008 12:29 AM PST

Suggest you save vinyl as a WAV.

Collapse -
Even better is Apple Lossless or FLAC
by brianooomac / February 3, 2008 11:00 AM PST
In reply to: WAV is better than MP3

I also suggest that you might use Apple lossless or FLAC for better musical reproduction.

Collapse -
Even better is 24/96.
by fbbbb / February 22, 2008 10:49 PM PST

In fact, you won't capture some of the nuances of vinyl at 16/44.1.

I have a bunch of records I've ripped that way so it makes it more convenient to play back on my home system. I come from the rabid end of the audio spectrum so I bought myself a deck specifically to rip on.

But sometimes, I will put the record on itself if I'm listening in the living room. There is a sense of occasion to playing a record on the Gyrodec that is completely missing from selecting a track in j.River Media Center.

Collapse -
Don't listen to them anymore
by ktreb / January 28, 2008 1:21 PM PST

I own a few dozen. My first was "Free Be, You and Me" (I think I was 5 or 6 at the time) and my last was Guns N Roses "Appetite for Destruction", with mostly embarrassing stuff in between. I no longer own a record player, so I can't listen to them even if I wanted to. And if you knew some of the stuff I have, you wouldn't want me to either.

Collapse -
I have two crates of them in my closet.
by minimalist / January 28, 2008 9:51 PM PST

I used to listen to them a lot in high school and college but CD's emerged when I was about 13 so my collection consists mostly of CD's. But they too are in boxes now having all been ripped to iTunes.

I guess I'm not much of a romantic. I don't miss vinyl or CD's all that much.

Collapse -
Haven't Listened to Vinyl in 20 Years
by PressAnyKey / January 28, 2008 11:26 PM PST

I was never a big collector of viynl records for the simple fact that they degraded over time through use. So when I did make a purchase I immediately copied it to the highest quality cassette tape I could purchase. I also worked at my high school radio station and had an unlimited collection at my fingertips.

It all changed with CD's in 1985. Once I was able to puchase a medium that did not degrade I went on a purchasing spree that's lasted 20 years.

In all honesty I cannot reliably detect the "warmth" and would be hard pressed to distinguish the viynl version of a song over a high quality CD. I've had some of my audiophile friends call me a heathen (in a nice way of course). Admittedly there have been some poor transfers over the years but it's been a long time since I've played a CD where I was disappointed with the quality.

Collapse -
Vinyl records
by John Natelli / February 1, 2008 10:28 AM PST

In response to your never heard the warmth of vinyl records well...
all I can tell you don't have a musical ear which is fine but sad because you have no idea of what you are missing in music

Regards
John

Collapse -
Ahh...
by Nicholas Buenk / January 28, 2008 11:45 PM PST

Isn't a better question of this kind of crowd, who is still using CD's. Wink

Collapse -
Good Question
by PressAnyKey / January 29, 2008 12:00 AM PST
In reply to: Ahh...

I will always opt for a CD because I own the source material and can convert it to whatever format I need. However digital download from iTunes or Amazon is very tempting when I need a single or I suddenly remember a tune that is not in my library.

However my kids just want to download their music from iTunes. I've not been able to impress upon them the advantages of owning a CD. Frankly at this age I don't blame em. They are too young to have steady jobs and pay $15 for CD that may only have two or three songs they like.

Collapse -
CDs Vs Downloads
by Jordan Skylar / February 2, 2008 10:05 PM PST
In reply to: Good Question

I HAD about 400 CDs. Then, I was robbed and had 0 CDs. I've since bought a few CDs, but have now bought an iPod and I'm using iTunes.

Hey, I can hide the iPod a lot easier than 400 CDs!

Collapse -
I buy lots of albums... maybe 1 in 50 is a CD
by minimalist / January 29, 2008 2:29 AM PST

The only reason I buy CD's anymore is because Best Buy happens to have a better prie than any online DRM-free offering or if CD is only format in which it comes (which is rare). Even then it just gets ripped to my library and the disc gets stowed away in a box.

Independent online shops like Other Music, Boomkat, and Bleep get first choice and Amazon is hard to beat for more mainstream releases. eMusic is really hard to beat for the price (usually 2-3 bucks for an album). With a low price like that I'll give a new band I read about a spin. 9.00 and I have to really want it.

Collapse -
not listening to cds anymore
by ktreb / January 29, 2008 1:17 PM PST

I own thousands and only about 500 are ripped into iTunes. I lost patience and the stuff that remains unripped I don't listen to anyway (Milli Vanilli, anyone?)

Collapse -
Blame It On The Rain .......
by EscapePod / February 1, 2008 9:48 AM PST

..but I still use custom CDs in at least one of my cars. I hate having my iPod dangling loose from the aux port, or iPod2Car adapter. I can just pop in a CD and its good for a week of driving.

Collapse -
I missed the vinyl era
by Aeirlys / January 29, 2008 3:09 AM PST

I've never purchased vinyl (I missed it the first time around when it was the only thing on offer), because who can store all of that? I can't even store my CD collection.

Collapse -
forever vinyl
by reggaelion / January 29, 2008 12:18 PM PST

i still rock the vinyl. well actually, i'm on 24 so i missed the whole vinyl craze. but i bought my first record player in jr. high and haven't looked back. i think they sound better plus i dig older older music.

Collapse -
Vinyl Records Rule!
by collectingvinyl / January 30, 2008 3:56 AM PST

As a longtime collector, I find myself listening to vinyl every time I listen to music. In fact, I have written an ebook about collecting vinyl records, and explain why people love vinyl, buying/selling issues, grading, album cover art and much more.

This historical audio format has withstood all the formats that were supposed to 'do it in'. Remember reel to reel tapes, eight tracks, cassettes and CD's? Weren't they supposed to put vinyl out of business? They haven't and they won't because there is no substitute for the sound quality that you get with vinyl...it is that simple.

Regards,
Robert
www.collectingvinylrecords.com

Collapse -
Not Replace, Make Portable
by PressAnyKey / January 30, 2008 11:49 PM PST
In reply to: Vinyl Records Rule!

I don't believe that tape formats were ever seriously considered a replacement. Well, maybe 8-track was supposed to be but did anyone ever consider that a satisfactory medium? I seem to recall that the 8-track player lacked a rewind button.

However I do believe the various tape formats and the CD were all attempts to make music portable. The advantage they all shared is that you could bring them along for the ride. A problem that was never solved for vinyl.

In fact I think the death of vinyl (as the dominant medium) was in large part due to its lack of portability rather than the sound quality.

Collapse -
Very good point
by collectingvinyl / January 31, 2008 1:28 AM PST

Points well taken and I can agree with the portability issue. Now we have the digital craze and downloading thousands of songs that can fit in your pocket. But, to me, that takes away the experience of playing the music, the cover art, the ritual of actually playing the record and of course the sound.

As a person who has never downloaded a song, my kids tell me I am missing something. I go to my 'music room' and show them all the vinyl I have and I too, insist that they are missing something as well. To each his own, I guess Wink

Robert
www.collectingvinylrecords.com

Collapse -
oh but they did try
by whatzitnow / February 1, 2008 9:46 AM PST
Collapse -
... '56 Chrysler had it
by EscapePod / February 1, 2008 10:00 AM PST
In reply to: oh but they did try

My dad's '56 Chrysler had the factory installed, under dash record player. The speed was 16 2/3 RPM. Practically impossible to find any records at that speed back then.

Collapse -
Vinyl in the house,cd's in the car
by mrcarl07 / February 1, 2008 8:10 AM PST

I got back into vinyl about 2 years ago.I am now 48 yeas old and forgot how good vinyl sounds.Bought a nice turntable(Music Hall MMF5)and a Bellari pre-amp.I have more wax now than cd's!I like taking a album and ripping it on a cd,then take it to work and say-check this out.They come in the next day and say,wow,that sounds really different,as in good.When I tell em what I did,they just look at me and go,yeah right.It is really hard to find,but ya gotta know where to look.180 and 200 gram vinyl sounds awsome.I go to record shows 3 to 4 times a year.Vinyl rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
analogue to digital
by livewyre / February 1, 2008 9:21 AM PST

I had to sell my vinyl when I moved as I couldn't realistically transport 500 varied albums and 12" singles. I kept a handful of favourites and really only listen to them when I am converting them to CD's.
I bought a BSR Quanta 600 from eBay and have converted most of my favourite vinyl and cassettes to CD orMP3 now ( http://www.cassette2cd.co.uk/DIY/ ) I would like something more audiophile but can't justify the expense..
Incidentally the shop that took my vinyl gave me enough credit to start my CD collection with about 10 CD's in return for my 500 records...

Collapse -
Yes
by EJT765 / February 1, 2008 10:30 AM PST

You can't beat Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Miller, Morman Tabernacle Choir-- etc. Old fashioned but still good!!!!

Collapse -
I still use records,
by billygard / February 1, 2008 11:11 AM PST

Which is what I grew up calling them. And I also have two record players, also the most regular term for the device when they were in common use (kids, that is like a really old Ipod).

I have a collection of records of things I'm not sure I could ever get on CD or mp3 because there is a lot of music in it that there is no following for.

I also have a pragmatic reason for not simply digitizing all of the records. What medium could I store all those mp3s in that would last as long as records do? If I live to be 100 chances are my records will still play on a record player. But will CD's, flash memory sticks or harddisks last that long?

Once you decide to digitize, you'll have to stay on your toes to keep your prized music safe, transferring your collection over and over periodically as the storage media get old and the technology keeps changing, and doing so with great caution, lest a moment of inattention deletes or corrupts your whole collection.

Collapse -
many, many, many
by aalake / February 1, 2008 11:23 AM PST

But so far I'm too lazy to go thru that conversion process - altho I did all of my audiotapes using MS Plus analog recorder - fast and easy. But just setting up that old turntabale and doing all sorts of adjustments when I'm presently into playing with video is tooooo much....

Collapse -
Hey!
by littlemisschic / September 8, 2012 9:40 PM PDT
In reply to: many, many, many

My mum still has alot of vinyl records. Mostly pop music from her Gen. Police some Billy ocean e.t.c
she loves them and will never get rid of them.
I love the sound of a vinyl record, the crackle it makea and the change from track to track. I can see why alot of people hang on to their vinyl records for the feel and the sound it makes, also we all know music was much better back then!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.