The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

how many of the 50,000 iphone apps are useful?

by dstanfor / June 9, 2009 6:14 AM PDT

I've been hearing about how the iphone's biggest boost over the other new phones like the Pre and any Android based phone is in their app store. Media will excitingly talk about their 50,000 apps in the iphone store, vs google's only having 5000, and Nokia and blackberry having around 1000. But the number of apps seems like a stupid comparison -- the sort of thing we'd mock Microsoft boasting why a PC would be better than a Mac. Sure there are tons of programs for the PC, but tons of them are crap. I know we've heard about plenty of dumb iphone apps on buzz out loud, like the multiple fart noise apps, the useless $1000 app, and the baby shaking app. So my question is, how many of the iphone apps are actually useful? How many of these useful apps won't be ported over to the other app stores eventually?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how many of the 50,000 iphone apps are useful?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how many of the 50,000 iphone apps are useful?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) If you don't find iFart useful, you're doing it wrong.
by kwahhn / June 9, 2009 6:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
You are correct quantity does not equal quality.
by minimalist / June 9, 2009 12:31 PM PDT

But the thing about the iPhone App store is that I often find an app that does exactly what 'm looking for since there are so many variations. So the odds are better you'd find the app you want. Its the long tail in miniature.

I would consider the Pre right now but the apps on that platform remain the great unknown. The developers will go where the money is I guess.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.