The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

How many megapixels does your digital camera have?

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / August 23, 2005 3:03 AM PDT

How many megapixels does your digital camera have?

1 megapixel or less (which one?)
2 megapixels (which one?)
3 megapixels (which one?)
4 megapixels (which one?)
5 megapixels (which one?)
6 megapixels (which one?)
7 megapixels (which one?)
8 megapixels (which one?)
9 megapixels or more (which one?)
I don't have a digital camera (why not?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How many megapixels does your digital camera have?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How many megapixels does your digital camera have?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Cannon A400
by CindySue48 / August 23, 2005 8:28 AM PDT

3.2 megapixels. Love the camera. It's my first and so far so good.

Collapse -
Nikon
by nelly6162 / August 24, 2005 12:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Cannon A400

It's just great with 2.5 or 2.0 megapixels.

nikons are the best, they rule sony.

Collapse -
RE: Nikon
by quijote / November 26, 2005 1:05 AM PST
In reply to: Nikon

My Nikon Coolpix 3.1 megapixel does just fine !

Collapse -
Olympus D-580 4.0 Mp
by kengue / August 25, 2005 8:43 AM PDT

Great pocket camera. However I do agree that the recovery time of many cameras in the same price range are lackluster at best.

I could have used a greater range of memory stick sizes.

Collapse -
Canon A400
by fireax1 / November 25, 2005 12:40 AM PST

I have the same camera. It is a GREAT camera for the average joe photographer.

Collapse -
Canon A400
by vpmc / November 27, 2005 5:21 PM PST

Hi,

Also have one, great for all uses especially photographing my 8 grandchildren. Don't let them tell you it is no good when using digital zoom because it is really good.

vic

Collapse -
Nikon 995
by hoohah / August 23, 2005 8:29 AM PDT

I love my Nikon 995, but I'm watching the 5 and 8 megapixel offerings for a 'gotta-have' upgrade.

Collapse -
HP PhotoSmart 912
by Steve2000 / August 23, 2005 8:33 AM PDT

It's an antique by today's standards but is still pumping out some pretty good pictures. Hopefully will soon upgrade to a Nikon D70 or the latest Canon dSLR.
Really don't think anyone will need much more than a 5 megapixel and 5 should become a standard if it has not already.

Collapse -
Photosmart 945
by fnelson / August 24, 2005 4:08 AM PDT
In reply to: HP PhotoSmart 912

Since someone brought up the question my current camera is a Photosmart 720 with 3.2 MP. I am not one to pile on mega paxels just to do it. But I would like a bit larger prints and bigger zoom. This Photosmart 945 has. My question would be the lag time. Shorter the better. Anyone have any experience with this camera and care to take a minute to enlighten me?

No lectures on getting a REAL camera. I can only sort of afford one like this and only if the lag time is insignificant.

Thanks. Frieda

Collapse -
hp945
by royboi3202 / November 24, 2005 9:19 PM PST
In reply to: Photosmart 945

i have had my hp 945 for over a year now love it. the delay hasnt botherd me any just depress the botton half way to get focus and shoot away i get many pictures of cars at the local dirttrack and rcmodels at the field that look great my sun rises look great to just love the dock so i can take photos and then come in and run them throu computer and charge the baterys so camera is always ready to go

Collapse -
How megapixels does your camera have?
by Samuel / August 23, 2005 8:36 AM PDT

I own a SONY MAVICA 1000, this was one of the early cameras that came out and while I have enjoyed not carrying loads of rolls of film like the time I went to the Middle East, I can take 350 - 400 pics in one mini-disk. I intend to bring this camera to my next trip overseas but also I'll bring a newer and faster camera along. The MAVICA 1000 is good for still pictures but not for action; its lag time is horrendous, I had gone to the zoo to take pictures of exotic animals and I only get half or none of the subject.

I'm looking for a SLR powershot that I can afford, any suggestions?

Collapse -
budget?
by Rasta04 / August 23, 2005 7:25 PM PDT

what is your budget? if you're looking for AFFORDABLE quality in DSLRs, then you should really invest in a canon digital rebel xt or a nikon D70s, both around $1000. The start up time is 0.02 seconds, and the shutter lag almost non existent for both cameras. If these are still too expensive, there is a nikon d50 just out for around $700. Both the nikons have 6.1 megapixels, and the canon has 8.1, but dont let this influence your decision, for the nikons' images are still fantastic.

Collapse -
5 MP Panasonic (Lumix) DMC-L72
by murrays / November 27, 2005 2:49 AM PST

This is my second digital camera, the first being an Olympus C2000-Z, 2.1 MP. I never was satisfied with the optical quality of the Olympus lens. Long before pixelation became a problem as you enlarged the image, sharpness became terrible. The Panasonic is much better and with many more pixels, is better by far. Also the 6x optical zoom with image stabilization is very useful. My biggest 2 gripes are NO control over aperture (depth of focus) and no optical viewfinder. The LCD is as good as it can be, but is still hard to see in bright sunlight. At $230 + shipping, it's as good as you can get for the money.

Collapse -
Olympus E300
by pvandck / August 23, 2005 8:38 AM PDT

A real camera, sensible price and 8 megapixels! Does everything it's supposed to almost perfectly.

Collapse -
Olympus Evolt 300
by jstmebob / August 23, 2005 1:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Olympus E300

I bought this camera several months ago and absolutley love it! I have yet to miss a shot utilizing the camera's auto focus and consecutive shooting mode. I love going to professional baseball games and taking action shots and have had outstanding results. I can take the full sequence of the batter's swing in motion and can actually see the bat making contact with the baseball. I would recommend this camera to anyone regardless of experience level.

Collapse -
Olympus E-300
by artiestevens / August 23, 2005 8:38 AM PDT

Got it in a great deal through Harvey Norman in Melbourne, and then bought the 40mm - 150mm lens to go with it. Great SLR, wonderful for rapid shoot. Not much chop for low light, but then I'm mainly after daytime action shooting.

Collapse -
Olympus C-5000
by kenwolman / August 23, 2005 8:38 AM PDT

A waste of time and money. It's already considered an "old" camera after a year, and it is impossibly difficult to manipulate. I am giving serious thought to going back to my Nikkormat and Nikon F2. That's predicated on finding someone who sells film and will process it.

Collapse -
How many megapixels.
by imgrumps / August 23, 2005 8:40 AM PDT

Sony P-200, 7.2 megapixels. First digital, love it's size, long battery life. When you just want to take pictures...

Collapse -
What's the difference?
by juleserr / October 3, 2005 2:01 PM PDT
In reply to: How many megapixels.

More pixels for better quality in image magnification...of what?
The most important thing is THE THEME of your picture.
Sometimes you don't want a sharp image, you don't need a large focal length or there are places where you better have an inexpensive camera...a little one (Vivitar:ViviCam10 w/1Mp ?),a medium (Sony:Cyber-Shot w/4.1Mp) or your best (Nikon: CoolPix 8700 w/8.3Mp).
I'm happy with my choice.- But I'm always reading or studying about my cameras, knowing the best of them, about their probabilities or options.
The True is that you may have a great picture with any camera, depends on THE THEME or what you are trying to say with good images.
The False is pretend that only with the expensive one you are able to Make Good Pictures.
Studying Photography is the only way to MAKE GOOD PHOTOS.

Collapse -
Agree, BUT . . .
by murrays / November 27, 2005 3:11 AM PST
In reply to: What's the difference?

I agree that the subject matter and the arrangement of the picture (theme, if you will) is of primary importance, but if the image itself is good quality, then some of the effects which might enhance the way you wish to convey the image can be provided in the darkroom (computer screen nowadays). So I am in favor of good equipment with lens quality being more important than pixel count.

Collapse -
No grips from me
by rogerpaul / August 23, 2005 8:40 AM PDT

Earlier this year I purchased a Kodak DX7440. It has 4 megapixels. I read the reviews before purchasing it. The only complaint I saw was the battary, but decided to buy it anyway. It turned out to be one of the best buys I have ever made. I've shot over 350 pictures on one charge and never even thought about the battary growing weak. It just didn't happen. Also, I can shoot as fast as I want and really can't see any delay in response. It takes great pictures. I do admit though, I am a bit confused by all the settings and am not totally happy with the book of instructions that came with the camera. Also, I don't care too much about the dial you must use to turn the camera on and change the settings. I keep thinking that this dial is going to brake and that will be the end of my camera. All in all though, I am happy with this camera.

Collapse -
Same camera. Same thoughts
by Seeingit / August 28, 2005 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: No grips from me

I too have the Kodak DX7440-4MP. Prior to this purchase I had a HP-2MP. My Kodak is an amazing little camera for the cost and I love the speed and all the other little options. I can snap pictures all day long and the pictures are very crisp with no battery problems. I am however concerned about the dial which turns on the camera and adjusts the settings. First of all it is a bit awkward..you have to push in a tiny button while truning the dail. I am concerned that if the dial breaks the camera will be done for.(so I purchased the extended warranty). Overall I can see a vast improvement in going from 2MP to 4MP. I love this little camera! With the Kodak Easyshare Dock...photo life is good!

Collapse -
Nikon D70
by drdave21146 / August 23, 2005 8:41 AM PDT

I just purchased a Nikon D70 and am very happy with it, except that sometimes I have trouble fomatting the memory card!

Collapse -
Let me know the detail
by bboon / August 23, 2005 11:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Nikon D70

hi,
What size *.mb card was u use on the D70

From,
bboon@streamyx.com

Collapse -
Nikon D70
by Petros / August 24, 2005 1:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Nikon D70

I have no complaints at all at the Nikon D70. Me and my son we both are very hapy with the camera and the support you get from Nikon. Which manufactorer wil give you a chance to upgrade your camera. Nikon does and so we both have upgraded the software to the D70S!
With the lenses of Nikon it is very nice to work and the raw-format (Nikon Electronic Image Format) give nice upportunities to improve the pictures you make. Yuo only need some CF-cards. With these I have no problems. I use the CF-cards of San Disk. See for example www.s-motion.nl and some photos at the photoalbum of www.gtvbadhoeve.tk!
I also learn a lot from the members of Photosig.com!

Collapse -
Nikon D70 6.2 megapixal
by pjhansman / August 23, 2005 8:42 AM PDT

What God intended when digital photography was invented Happy

Collapse -
Hi!
by ddolfe / August 23, 2005 8:45 AM PDT

I have the Fuji S7000 6.3MP's and i LOVE it!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Older Canon Power Shot A20
by ppkyburz / August 23, 2005 8:46 AM PDT
Collapse -
Canon A40
by leather / November 24, 2005 10:38 PM PST

2.0 Megapixels had it for four years great quality lens , prints up to 8x10 prints at top resolution 7x5 and 6x4 perfectly 3xoptical a joy to use.

Collapse -
How many megapixels
by anderso / August 23, 2005 8:47 AM PDT

6 megapixels - Nikon D-100

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.