The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

How many digital cameras have you owned?

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / April 6, 2006 3:28 AM PDT

Since the introduction of digital cameras to the general consumer, how many of them have you owned?

Did you purchase a new camera due to technology, did you lose your old one, or was there a different reason? Let us know!

I'm still on my first one (which one?)
Two (which ones?)
Three (which ones?)
Four (which ones?)
Five or more (why so many?)
I don't do digital

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How many digital cameras have you owned?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How many digital cameras have you owned?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Three is a charm...
by Dreslinski59 / April 6, 2006 6:23 PM PDT

I have owned three digital cameras and still use two of them. The first was an HP point-n-shoot that I loved (I can't recall the model) as I was able to instantly print my snapshots, refine them, play with the photo software and share my photos. My dog walked under my cable while I was transferring photos to my PC and it hit the floor and was destroyed. The associate at the camera store kinda giggled when I took it in for repair and suggested that I just buy a new one...

My next was a Canon PowerShot A40 which has been a little workhorse for me and my family. It only has 2.0 megs, but I still love the convenience and did buy some additional lenses and filters. Last week my Canon Rebel XT was on sale with free CF card, so I'm learning to use it. AND, we still have our old Canon Rebel SLR, and have used it when I wanted to get creative, but now I'll use the new digital Rebel XT.

Collapse -
I've Owned Two
by Dignity / April 6, 2006 6:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Three is a charm...

My first was a cheapie, I now have a nikhon Coolpixs 4800 and I love it!

Collapse -
I've owned Two
by tgoinsfspd / April 6, 2006 7:54 PM PDT
In reply to: I've Owned Two

My first was an Olympus 1.3 MP and it is still in use along with my newest I got for Christmas. The latest is Fuji FinPix S5200 5 MP with 10x zoom. I did lots of research and decided it had the features that suited my needs. You can shoot from 0.3 MP to 5.0 MP and even in 35MM mode, It is a great camera and priced around $400.00. My wife has a Kodak Z740 and My daughter uses a Canon Rebel Digital. I also have my reliable Minolta SLR Film camera.

Collapse -
on my second one
by MargoJH / April 6, 2006 7:06 PM PDT

Started with the Olympus Camedia 5050 which was stolen at my sons 21st. It was reolaced by insurance with The Olympus Camedia 8080WZ. Altho a higher megapixel camera the 8080 is not so friendly in the focus dept, especially in the long range dept.

Collapse -
Three - still use two
by ssflyer / April 6, 2006 7:08 PM PDT

First was a Canon 10D DSLR with a 28-135 IS lens. Then I bought the Canon 20D when it was introduced. Finally I also got a Canon SD500, so I could carry one in my shirt pocket. All 3 are great cameras, but the DSLR's can get expensive. I now have 5 lenses, assorted filters, tripods, etc.

Collapse -
Two and counting
by Trailhop / April 6, 2006 9:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Three - still use two

My first digital was a Kodak point and shoot 5 mp.
I still have that camera, it takes very nice pictures and it sold me on digital.
I went from that to a Nikon D70 SLR, which I currently use. I have two lenses, some filters, a tripod, a strobe, among my ever growing arsenal of equipment.
I intend to move up to a higher end Nikon, but am waiting to see what Nikon comes out with in their pro digital models. Also, I need to save up the thousands it will cost me to buy my next digital SLR camera body. I prefer not to use credit if I can avoid it.

Collapse -
How many digital cameras have you owned
by OGARF2002 / April 6, 2006 7:11 PM PDT

Ive owned three an early Kodak which was a disaster. A sony mavica which saves pictures to flopies which was really good and now a canon Eos 300d which is much clever than i am
regards
steve welham

Collapse -
Four and still learning
by Zgringo / April 6, 2006 7:16 PM PDT

My first one and I still have it was a Toshiba PDR-M61, then a HP Photosmart 850 that went belly-up as did my HP Photosmart 945, HP wouldn't fix eather of them and ended up in the trash. My latest one is a Fuji Finepix S5100 and I love it. One thing i've learned is to stick with people who have a long track record in camera mfg., and stay away from the wanna-bees. HP printers are great but there cameras........

Collapse -
Digital camera
by mick66 / April 6, 2006 7:24 PM PDT

I`ve owned my ViVitar 3705 for two years and it does all I want it to do. It cost me

Collapse -
4th and counting
by dalehern / April 6, 2006 7:33 PM PDT

started with a Ricoh RDC4300 ($500) back in '99, 1 megapixel, was fun but lacked many features I didn't know I wanted at that point.. Then an Olympus C2100uzi ($500), 2.1 megapixel, great camera, 10x optiucal zoom, and still have it but limited by resolution. The wife now has a Nikon 3.2 megapixel point-and-shoot and I have the Canon 350D 8 megapixel dSLR which I'm very happy with Happy Between us we have 4 35mm SLRs gathering dust since none of them have been used in 5+ years..

Collapse -
@ cameras both Canons
by glassmoon16 / April 6, 2006 7:34 PM PDT

Powershot A series 3.2 megapixels, then dropped it on concrete and got destroyed. Then got Canon A series powersot 5.1 or 5.2 megapixels really good, even dropped it a few times with minor damage. All in all Canon's are very good all-around cameras, but i strongly reccomend the Powershot series as opposed to Canon Elphs. THey are pretty tough and durable with a good aboumt of optical zoom.

Collapse -
Just one!
by summer sam / April 6, 2006 7:41 PM PDT

A Minolta DiMage Z3 has now become my companion of a little over 1 year. It travels along with my 25 year old Minolta SLR which to this day is still my favorite.

Collapse -
Similar here
by hoohah / April 7, 2006 3:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Just one!

...but a 4-year-old Nikon 995 and my trusty old Canon A1.

Collapse -
Owned 2
by tc100 / April 6, 2006 7:42 PM PDT

Fuji Finepix1400Z

Fuji Finepix 3800

I have enjoyed using both.

Collapse -
my "evolution"
by jfalla / April 6, 2006 7:58 PM PDT

- the first one was a Olympus CAMEDIA - 360.000 Pixels
- the second one was a Kodak DC 280 - 2 mios Pixels
- the third one was a small Espio - 360.000 Pixels
- the fourth and fifth (ordered ans received together last month):
* a Pentax S6 - 6 mios Pixels
* a Nikon D50 - 6 mios Pixels

Collapse -
I still have my first digital camera.
by tbltx / April 6, 2006 8:04 PM PDT

It is an Olympus 2.1 MP. It is ok, I just do not see any need to give up my Minolta Maxxum 5 SLR film camera.
So, I believe that film camera's are not a dying breed.
In order to get a digital camera that equals a film SLR, you would need to get a really high end model.

Collapse -
One and Only - Canon A75
by j kotak / April 6, 2006 8:09 PM PDT

I am on my first Digital Camera the Canon PowerShot A75.

It is over 2 years old and am very happy with the performance and results of the camera. It is 3.2 MP one and needs the good old AA Batteries so if my recharge ones run down I am not stuck or wait for a recharge just buy the same from the nearest shop and life goes on.

I do only family pics and usually upload the pics on the home PC and upload some on website and make a CD for viewing on the TV. Have tried and explored some of the features.

I do not remember making prints for quite some time.

What I do not like is the point and shoot capability. ie it takes some time for the picture to be captured and after you shoot ( ie hold down the click button ), even when I put the dial to the sports mode, there is a near miss. Any suggestions ? Am I alone or it happens with all digital cameras.

Collapse -
5 so far
by lleedlee / April 6, 2006 8:16 PM PDT

I have had 5
1 was a (can't remember off brand) 1.0 mp
2 was a Sony F95 (my first Grandma cam) shot over 20,000 pics with it - 2 mp
3 was CD 1000 - shot over 30000 pics with it - 3 mp
4 was a Sony F717 - shot over 50,000 pics with it - 5 mp
5 and most recent is the Sony R1 - LOVE IT!!! already over 6000 with it in 3 months. 10 mp

I stick with Sony because of their build quality and performance and the lack of having to spend big bucks for various lenses. Its all built in.

Liz

Collapse -
on 3rd and ready for home plate
by rstinnett / April 6, 2006 8:16 PM PDT

First Digital Camera was a Casio QV10, 1 point something MP bought in 1996 or 97....Dropped it and sent it in to Casio for repair they sent me another one, FREE.

Then bought a HP photosmart 315 2.1MP. General digital camera. was Good for when you needed a shot. At the time pictures looked ok. Pixily though.. if that is a correct word or non word to use.

Finally got a Fujifilm E550 6.3MP about close to 2 years ago. Nice camera..Picture quality is great.. but if you breathe when shooting it, it will be out of focus, the video quality is not bad on it too, is alot clearer comparing it to my friends HP and Canon elph 4 MP digitals shooting video.

I Still shoot Film cameras.. have an old Canon A1 and Konica's FS1, FT1.

Collapse -
Digital Cameras owned
by tdrv / April 6, 2006 8:29 PM PDT

I have two, both Kodaks. The first a 2.1, very old but still going strong. The second 5.0

Collapse -
I have owned 7 - do I qualify as a geek yet!
by gbswales / April 6, 2006 8:30 PM PDT

The first two were simple toys while I still had roll film SLR. When that died I bought the best I could afford and as the prices came down I upgraded - however was never satisfied until I got my current NIKON D70 SLR which with various discounts I got for just

Collapse -
Yes, you're a geek.....
by Trailhop / April 6, 2006 10:03 PM PDT

But that is meant as a compliment. I'm working towards becoming a geek, too.
I'm very happy with the Nikon D70. I never entered the world of Canon, though I thought about it for awhile. But from reports I've gotten from people I know, (rather then magazine or online articles), Nikon seemed to be the way to go. I know they are both a very good product. Now I've committed to Nikon. Once the lens's and other compatible equipment have been purchased, a person doesn't want to go changing brands.
So I will do the Nikon climbing.

Collapse -
Welcome to geekdom
by phrubin / April 8, 2006 2:55 PM PDT

I started with a match needle Minolta 101 back in 1976. Graduated to a Konica T-4. I added a Konica TCx, then later an FS-1. All these are 35mm, of course. Then Konica gave up on SLRs. Seems Minolta/Konica is also.

If the Nikon D50 had come out, I might have bought it. I got a Canon EOS Rebel 350 DSLR. Must say that the 8MPs helps. I have dramatically cropped and made decent close ups of items in the background.

I've used desktop computers long before the original IBM PC was ''invented''. I think I started in 1976 or early 77. I'm now on my 5th PC.

If I were anyone else, I'd call me a geek.

Collapse -
Digital Cameras
by BobF. / April 6, 2006 8:34 PM PDT

First camera is a Kodak Dc4800 with built in battery needing recharge and 64 and 128mb cards.Second camera is Pentax Optio 30 with two AA batteries. When taking photos of about 100 people at an event such as a dinner, I take both cameras, and plug in the Kodak when its battery gets low. The Pentax has a Pict bridge feature which can plug direct into a copier. I mostly use rechargeable batteries in it, always carrying some spares.The Optio is a much smaller camera-pocket size and its card, though smaller in size, takes about 500 photos. I usually use it on single flash, not redeye, as this uses up batteries very quickly.I take my laptop with me, and immediately download the photos to a slide show- something you could never do with a film camera. At the end of the event, I can burn a CD of the photos and hand it over to the event manager.I am happy with the picture quality of both cameras.
NormaF

Collapse -
One but need to change
by 20fj6002 / April 6, 2006 9:02 PM PDT

I have a Concord3340z 3.1 Megapixels with optical and digital zoom. Prone to picking up dust on lens . Needs regular cleaning. Reason for a change, set the timer on the beach for a family snap on a windy day.It was blown off the rock I had placed it on breaking battery clasp. The problems with small lightweight cameras.

Collapse -
2. the first was a 1.2 mega pixel Olympus.
by susanscott1989 / April 6, 2006 9:03 PM PDT

I don't remember the model of the first. The one I have now is an Olympus C-5050 zoom. I like it very much but probably next year I will buy a digital SLR

Collapse -
digital cameras owned - 2
by Heasik / April 6, 2006 9:06 PM PDT

I had a sony dsc-30 that I dropped while kayaking, took it apart, cleaned it, put it back together- works, but really quirky. I now have a sony 717 that I love (but don't take it kayaking).

Collapse -
Definitely an addict
by Agneta / April 6, 2006 9:34 PM PDT

I started with a Sony Cybershot F505V (loved it, still have thousands of pictures saved)and a Mavica using floppies - convenient when travelling. Once I got the knack of digital photography, my needs (and wants) got the best of me, and I upgraded to the 5 MP Cybershot 717. I justified getting the 828 by giving my son (graphic artist) the two earlier models (he swears they are better than my 828). Then I fell for the even greater convenience of a Sony Mavica CD-camera - still love it; at only 4 MP it takes awesome pictures and I don't tell people which camera took them - they wouldn't believe me. I then purchased the Sony H1 for its 12x zoom, and it is probably my best camera, because I have never felt tempted to even read about its new upgrade, the H5. It is simply perfect for me. However, for throwing in my purse and having a camera always ready without the weight (my purse contains a FEW other things...) I carry a little Panasonic Lumix, 5 MP, and I have even sold prints from pictures taken with it. The secret is in never telling prospective customers which camera took the picture - they are often geekier and more snobbish than I am!

Collapse -
Digital Cameras I've owned
by WCM111 / April 6, 2006 9:35 PM PDT

I've owned 2 digital cameras:

Canon G2
Nikon D50

The Canon was a great introduction to digital but had many limitations.

I used to own a Nikon SLR (6006) and was used to the feature set of an SLR.

The Nikon D50 is a dream camera! More features than I really need, but it's a pleasure to use and I get *terrific* results!

I recommend it very highly.

Collapse -
4 and hopeully the last for a while
by himmy1 / April 6, 2006 9:42 PM PDT

Started out with a Pentax many years ago, still in the days of Win 3.1! Took forever getting the pictures onto the computer. Next was a Sony Mavica which cost $800 way back when, still with hardly any mgx, resolution 640 x 480. Went to a 3.1 mpx Olympus Ultra Zoom with 10x Optical, was very happy with it for a long time. Just bought a Panasonic DMC-FZ30 with 8 mgx and 12 x optical zoom. Had to search hi and lo for this camera, couldn't find it in Canada and ended up having to import from the US. Closest to a dSLR you can get and am still learning all the manual functions, but very happy with it so far.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.