Laptops forum

How long should a high end laptop computer last?

by countrymanto / August 6, 2011 11:56 AM PDT

My daughters dual core Hp laptop overheated and friend the motherboard.It was about 4 years old but a top of the line HP, about $2000Thanks for your input.Wayne...a frustrated computer user.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How long should a high end laptop computer last?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How long should a high end laptop computer last?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Depends on the model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2011 12:01 PM PDT

But without diligent care such as 6 six cleaning with the canned air on the vents you see the battery fail from 18 to 36 months (depends on use) and heat issues pop up from months to years.

4 years might be just about right with GAMING LAPTOPS about 1/2 that.

Tell more about your 6 month maintenance routines.

Collapse -
Her laptop was an HP Pavilion dv9260nr
by countrymanto / August 6, 2011 3:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Depends on the model.

Not sure about her cleaning...probably not what it should be. She did not use a cooler under it as I suggested and this might have helped.

Collapse -
That model had a problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2011 11:58 PM PDT

You can find out more by heading to google and typing DV9000 RECALL. If it got 4 years, it was one of the longer lasting units.

But why are folk looking at such big laptops? You find those bigger units to have shorter life spans as well probably due to more flex in the package to power and heat. Nice units but figure 4 years less if a gamer is on the machine.

-> Be sure to do the 6 month home maintenance.

Collapse -
You're answer to my question was more than adequate..
by countrymanto / August 7, 2011 8:58 PM PDT

Thanks so much Proffitt for answering my question and offering advice...I really do appreciate it so much...I sent your reply to my daughter so she would not feel too badly.

Collapse -
I own the Acer As 8950G which is an
by orlbuckeye / August 8, 2011 11:23 PM PDT

upgrade to the 8943G. The 8943 had some wireless issues at first but I think they have been fixed. Now if you can afford the Acer 8951G. It has the backlit keyboard and a 750 GB hard drive and the removable touchpad that acts as a remote.

In comparing the 8943 and the Qosmio. I would say your getting more for the money with the toshiba. The only area that Acer model has the advantage is internal memory. (8 gb to 4 gb). The Toshiba has a 7200 RPM Hard drive compared to a 5400 for the Acer. The graphics card on the Toshiba is better fro gaming as it has DDR5. ( 1 gb of DDR5 is better then 2 gb DDR3 and the Acer only has 1 gb of DDR3). Battery life is better on the Toshiba. They both are > 10 pounds. (my Acer 8950 is around 8 pounds in almost the same case.)

I think you are getting more for the dollar is purchasing the toshiba over the Acer.

Collapse -
FWIW . . .
by Coryphaeus / August 8, 2011 12:30 AM PDT

and if you're still here.

I own IBM ThinkPads exclusively. Reason being is they don't break. Fact: I finally tossed my little 385ED. Built in 1999. Was working perfectly running W98SE. Absolutely no failures. But just too slow, it had a 4 MHz processor, maxed RAM at 84 Meg, and a whopping 2 Gig HD.

Point being is that I own three newer ThinkPads and have owned at least six. No failures. Check these forums for ThinkPad problems. Compared to all the others, probably one in ten posts.

Collapse -
My Compaq Portable is gone now.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2011 1:37 AM PDT
In reply to: FWIW . . .

It was all of 4.77MHz so I know the feeling. But it didn't fail.

Collapse -
at least 5-6 yrs
by jasonbru / December 26, 2012 3:59 PM PST

i work for a silicon valley tech company. one of the largest in the world. every employee is issued with a PC (meaning notebook). according to our IT, since the recession, the PC replacement rate has increased from 4 yrs to 6 yrs. an average employee is using a 5 yrs old pc and still going strong. clearly, the constant bombardment of "your PC is obsolete" is a marketing ploy of PC marketers. just like Y2K, Mayan end of the world, all hoax. ignore the urge to buy unless your PC is older than 6 yrs.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.