The CNET Lounge

General discussion

How long does it take for your computer to fully shut down?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / October 4, 2013 7:42 AM PDT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How long does it take for your computer to fully shut down?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How long does it take for your computer to fully shut down?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Quick.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / October 4, 2013 7:47 AM PDT

Less than a minute. But I don't have loads running in the background.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
slow computer shutoff
by Trumph / October 4, 2013 11:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Quick.

I have three units and a laptop on my bench,they all run old XP {but latest hard drives} upgraded over the ages from 98.I know there's an opinion out there;on using registry cleaners but, i now use Advanced System care pro,The laptop is the fastest shut down but all switch off within 2 minutes of each other,Without cleaning with System clear regularly all hell happens.

Collapse -
how long to shut down
by tedtks / October 4, 2013 9:45 AM PDT

less than a minute if you only count from the time I click on :shut down:
before that I close everything I was working on. Then usually run avast
for updates which usually takes 2 min (their auto update is usually at the wrong time LOL)
so there is nothing going on or running at all.
it used to take a little bit longer but did my usual weekly reg cleaning and that fixed that, just
like at start up.

Collapse -
Less than a minute...it's an iMac
by Zeck / October 4, 2013 9:45 AM PDT

Then again, it takes a couple minutes to close all the open programs, including my Win 7 and XP VM's.

For those of you who don't know, the red circle doesn't quit the program as does the Windows X. I usually have 8 or 10 things still running and I like to close everything before shutting down.

Collapse -
How long does it take for your computer to fully shut down?
by aschnur / October 4, 2013 9:59 AM PDT

I have a new desk top computer since August and part of my new build, I
installed an ssd drive - it has sped up the start up and shut down to under
1 minute both ways.

Collapse -
Both laptop and desktop
by itsdigger / October 4, 2013 11:23 AM PDT

shut down very fast, a lot less than a minute. When I shut down I make sure all of the apps are closed beforehand.

Collapse -
Ctl,Alt, Del
by stevevic57 / October 4, 2013 11:36 AM PDT

Use Task Manager and shut down any running applications. I have been computing since the late 70s on Linux, Widows (3.1,95, ME, 2000, XP & 7) OS machines and even some Tandy stuff and it has never caused me any trouble. For anything else, push and hold the power button.

Collapse -
Ctl,Alt,Del
by Trumph / October 5, 2013 9:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Ctl,Alt, Del

Absolutely,my new machine for business has somehow linked both my wife and my name ,and half the time will not open as well; the above fixes the problem,by eliminating the wrong user.

Collapse -
I truly have no idea.
by Hartiq / October 4, 2013 1:12 PM PDT

I only ever shut this beast down for Windows Updates and then it's the *update* that takes up much of the time. At all other times, it's running SET and EINSTEIN at home, even when I'm using it.
Win7 box. Relatively new. I am quite fond of it.

Collapse -
At certain times, it takes longer
by jthelw / October 4, 2013 1:27 PM PDT

When there are Windows updates it takes longer; also when one or more programs are open.

Collapse -
I leave it on all the time
by James Denison / October 4, 2013 4:29 PM PDT

Linux on a 45W sempron with cool n quiet power saving features. Hit CTRL-ALT -L and lock the screen and let it fall asleep till I need it again.

Collapse -
Desktop Takes Forever to Shut Down
by glorya / October 5, 2013 12:47 AM PDT

Using WIN-XP3 on my desktop, when I go to shut it down a window pops up that explorer.exe is having a problem. I click on "end now" and sometimes that works, sometimes not; but I am unable to solve it.

Collapse -
Shutdown time
by netsiu / October 5, 2013 10:58 AM PDT

1-3 Minutes or less depending on background programs still running.

Collapse -
1 to 3 minutes
by OnlineMythBuster / December 18, 2013 12:34 AM PST

Depending on software that i'm running or using.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.