The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

How long does it take for your computer to boot up?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / June 15, 2007 4:14 AM PDT

Get out your stopwatches. How long does it take for your computer to boot up?

* Less than a minute (What's your secret sauce?)
* 1 to 2 minutes (Not bad. Any tips?)
* 3 to 4 minutes
* 5 to 6 minutes
* I can mow my lawn and return, and it will still be loading.
* Other (Please specify.)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How long does it take for your computer to boot up?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How long does it take for your computer to boot up?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Less than a minute...
by John.Wilkinson / June 15, 2007 4:26 AM PDT

Under Vista the 'power' button defaults to Sleep mode instead of actually shutting the system down, so you can be up and running in less than 30 seconds. When actually shutting down it takes a little over a minute after being tweaked. (All unnecessary services have been disabled.)

John

Collapse -
Under 1 minute and 30 seconds from a cold boot
by oludir / June 18, 2007 9:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Less than a minute...

It takes me under 1 minute and 30 seconds.
System Specs:
Windows Vista Home Premium
Intel Centrino Duo
2GB ram
1GB readyboost flash drive (I have a feeling it has a lot to do with my boot speed)
160Gb Flash Drive.

About 73 processes are loaded at startup. If I let it sleep then it takes about 5 seconds to come back on.

Collapse -
I agree... Less than 5seconds probably
by dre.caruana / June 19, 2007 6:11 PM PDT

Using Windows Vista I have been taking advantage of the sleep option, where the computer seems to be switched off - there is no noise and no power usage. When the pc is asleep and I press the power button, it just takes a few seconds (less than 5). When I start the pc after being switched off, it takes just under a minute or so.
I do not have a state of the art computer system, mind. It's 3.2GHz Pentium 4, with 1GB of RAM. It's actually rated 2.2 on the windows experience index, and that's not too jigh a level.

Collapse -
Srt Missed some specs
by dre.caruana / June 19, 2007 6:18 PM PDT

I run WIndows Vista Ultimate, and at startup there are not so much processes. I would say less than 15 or 20. I have hard disk space of 250GB, but I don't think it's really relevant as to the speed the computer loads, is it? Video Card - Radeon X300/X550
The pc is 2years old. It was quite a machine at that time, but now, i guess there are many other machines much more powerful.

Collapse -
Really?
by Mergatroid Mania / January 16, 2011 11:55 AM PST
In reply to: Srt Missed some specs

That's amazing. Are you using a SSD or a RAID?

Collapse -
But that's not "boot time"
by Mergatroid Mania / January 16, 2011 12:01 PM PST

Exiting from sleep is not considered a boot time.

Boot time is with the computer turned off and then pressing the "on" button.

Collapse -
45-50 seconds on my (almost) 4 year old rig
by Steven Haninger / June 15, 2007 7:48 AM PDT

That's from power on to desktop but still loading some services. I never use hibernate and do static IP addressing so can get on the web almost immediately. If ya' don't junk 'em up they run better. Happy

Collapse -
And today, it boots faster than
by Steven Haninger / June 15, 2007 10:01 AM PDT

Cnet loads....if it does at all. Happy

Collapse -
1-2 minutes
by psychoxl99 / June 16, 2007 2:09 AM PDT

Saved probably 45 seconds for post-login loading time when I upgraded from a 5400 to 7200 RPM laptop hard drive. This is a Core 2 Duo (1.6GHz) processor, which I believe does also help loading times, since it gives more time to the hard drive to work. If you count loading Firefox after I'm logged on, then my "loading" time is just over 2 minutes.

Another utility that can decrease your load times pretty substantially is called "TuneXP". Use this at your own risk (and many of the other tweaks can be undesirable), but the option "Ultra-fast booting" will take your boot files and line them up sequentially so that there is almost no seeking when you boot up. The effect is close to reading one large file instead of many small ones. This can save at least a few seconds, which is more than it sounds when you're fixing a computer problem and have to reboot a lot.

Collapse -
ps
by psychoxl99 / June 16, 2007 2:13 AM PDT
In reply to: 1-2 minutes

ps: TuneXP is for Windows XP. I don't know that it is recommended for Vista. Of course, it's not recommended for anybody ;)... but it was designed for XP. I hate that Microsoft changed operating systems entirely, it wasn't really necessary to make everybody upgrade.

Collapse -
2-3 minutes
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 15, 2007 8:33 AM PDT

Windows XP on a 4 year old Dell with a broadband always on connection.

From pushing the button to the point where I am on the internet is about 2-3 minutes. When the Desktop has loaded with all it's icons and the taskbar, certain utilities like ZoneAlarm are still going through their own checks, and I don't get a usable connection until ZA settles down.

Mark

Collapse -
Less than a minute
by wicker_man / June 15, 2007 11:19 AM PDT

My Apple PowerMac G4 Cube (450MHz) boots up from cold to OS X (10.4.9) in 57 seconds.

I'm pretty surprised at it's speed for general uses for a relatively old machine, works great for basic everyday tasks and as an iTunes jukebox.

Specs: G4 450MHz, 1.12GB RAM, 160GB (7200rpm) HDD, GeForce 2mx.

Collapse -
Less than a minute!
by catmarc / June 15, 2007 12:14 PM PDT

I have a very new computer that my brother put together for me that has 320Gb hard drive and 1Gb RAM. I also have 92% free on this wonderful machine, therefore it boots up quickly. Not much to load up. I am running Win XP as my OS.

Collapse -
Less than a minute
by may0023 / June 15, 2007 1:13 PM PDT

With my MacBook 2.0GHz (Core 2 Duo), the time from pressing the switch to OS X's login screen takes around 30-60 seconds. In case I apply any security update from Apple, the boot time increase to 1-3 minutes.

My trusty ThinkPad T42 doesn't do so bad for almost-3-year-old notebook, with time ranging from 1.30 to 3 minutes depend on its mood.

Collapse -
how long does it take for your computer to boot up
by data40 / June 15, 2007 1:18 PM PDT

well my computer boots up fairly fast becouse i found out if you have enough memaery in your computer it will boot up quicker and you need a good procesor in side

Collapse -
Depends on which computer...
by "old" devildog / June 15, 2007 1:37 PM PDT

The laptop with Vista Home, about 2 minutes from a complete shutdown, The over 4 year old home built desktop,(acting as the server), with XP Pro about 15 minutes from a complete shut down. That is why it is only shut down when Microsoft updates makes it happen. with only 1GB of memory, and running two 80GB internal HD's and two 80GB USB HD's, it is slow and outdated, but makes a great server. Using a wireless/wired router to access the broadband internet modem from the laptop, as well as accessing the printer from any place in the house, it also has become the file storage unit to keep the laptop's HD as clean as possible.

Collapse -
1 to 2 minutes
by arnold88 / June 15, 2007 1:51 PM PDT

I run Windows Repair Registry Pro to clean and defrag the registry at least once a week, takes only a couple of minutes for the app to do what it needs. Also use msconfig to eliminate all but the essential items at startup. Running XP Pro with a 3gig cpu and 2 gigs of RAM, set up on a mobo with SATA hard-drive. I think the most improvement has been with the registry cleaning, it eliminates a lot of garbage.

Collapse -
Less than 30 seconds
by AlanJ777 / June 15, 2007 1:52 PM PDT

One Word: Linux

Collapse -
Under a minute for Linux, 2-4 minutes for Windows
by rbsjrx / June 15, 2007 1:54 PM PDT

I have 4 computers, two of which are set up to dual boot. Here's how they perform:

Sharp notebook using a Transmeta Efficion CPU & 1GB RAM:
2 minutes to boot WinXP
<1 minute to boot Kubuntu Linux

HP a1450n using an AMD Athlon 64x2 4200+ CPU & 2GB RAM:
4 minutes to boot WinXP Media Center Edition
<1 minute to boot Mandriva Linux

Old Compaq Presario using some sort of Pentium & 512MB RAM:
<1 minute to boot Ubuntu Linux

Small homebuilt using a VIA C7 CPU & 512MB RAM:
<1 minute to boot PCLinuxOS

Draw your own conclusions...

Collapse -
LESS THAN 1 MINUTE...NO JUNK ON BOARD!
by 01archie / June 16, 2007 2:34 AM PDT

I dont run any third party addons.
I stick to all MS Firewall, WDefender
I use a router
I use Avast! 4.7 freebee AVirus...what the heck, it beat BitDefender and most of the the rest, its rated very high on tests.
1.2g RAM
Athelon 64
200g hardrive
a few fans

My wife has a Sony laptop with Vista, very hot operating system. Iam impressed.
She uses Norton iNet Security. Built in wireless.

NO ADDONS from 3rd party is what I found to lessen the start up Strain.
Just my expericance. And, its been this way for 1.8 years. NO Problems.

Collapse -
2 minutes, not much more!
by sircrashalot / June 16, 2007 2:52 AM PDT

Tune Up Utilities does the bizzo! i can make it faster but this suits my usage, you have to play around and find out which programmes or functions are important to you, Zone Alarm always helped too but then it started fighting with Incredimail and now i dont have either of them and the PC is running like new, I,m currently trying out Sygate free firewall and i`m very happy with it so far!

Collapse -
drawing conclusions
by needforspeedskier / June 16, 2007 12:11 PM PDT

same here,

less than a minute ubuntu linux (primary)
about 4 minutes for windows (barely ever use)
i think it is about time for a linux vs microsoft weekly newsletter!

Collapse -
Maintain your Startup Programs
by axekick / June 15, 2007 1:56 PM PDT

I have a 3-4 year old Emachine T6412, 2.2 Ghz AMD-64, 1 G RAM so nothing special or particularly fast. I do have quite a few programs set to load, RoboForms, Security Suite, Yahoo Widgets, Lclock, POP Peeper, Windows-X, XP to Vista Transformation Pack, etc.. but remove all other crap regularly and monitor changes regularly. My cold boot time is 48 seconds with all this. Another suggestion is limit the number of desktop icons you have, create Desktop folders if necessary and then place all icons in various folders, such as one for games.

Collapse -
15 seconds...
by TimYang / June 15, 2007 2:10 PM PDT

on a second generation intel iMac (late 2006), that's from hitting power button to a usable desktop.

The harddrive is 80% full and two small programs run as login items. Startup items include parallels' network support and a PRAM startup sound hack.
it takes a lot longer to start the tweaked (disabled services) minimal Windows XP installation on bootcamp partition, about 40-50 seconds.
Specs:
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 1GB 667MHz RAM, ATI X1600 256MB, 250GB SATA

Collapse -
45 seconds
by lewitt / June 15, 2007 2:35 PM PDT
In reply to: 15 seconds...

Two computers, one 2007 XP-laptop, push start first.
Mac mini OS-X 10.4 starts next. Mac is online and sync-ing the Palm-PDA, before the XP-lap is ready to login.
I sync the PDA.Then, I turn off the mini,
and can finally check Email with the XP-lap.
Maybe 80-90 seconds to get going in XP-land?
And turned on-used-and--off Mac-Mini is about 120 seconds complete.
Enough said?

Collapse -
Ditto.
by carlos campa / June 15, 2007 5:07 PM PDT
In reply to: 45 seconds

That's a perfect example of the superiority of Mac. When you're not running a Frankenstein-monster of a Windows PC, which any shyster can manufacture for you, and runs a fundamentally inferior OS to boot, you get a better product service, and it's not difficult to work with files from Windows machines, or network with them. I had Windows running alongside with my Apples for years, and the Macs have always been superior in every way, though I must admit to a fondness for a torqued-up 486 PC I built myself, and kept for many years, but I never expected much from it, or any other Windows OS machine. I guess I'm just realistic, or maybe experience with Microsoft OS naturally leads to lowered expectations.

Collapse -
Nice trolling
by Mergatroid Mania / January 16, 2011 12:04 PM PST
In reply to: Ditto.

15-20 seconds on Windows 7 with an SSD as the boot drive. Your Macs STILL waiting for TRIM support....way superior.

Talk about biased.

Collapse -
Fast, with or without Boot Camp
by bdonohue1 / June 15, 2007 2:22 PM PDT

I run Mac OS X and MEPIS Linux on a white MacBook 2GHz machine. Before I set up Boot Camp, average bootup from power on to Desktop ready was around 45 seconds. With Boot Camp and a rEFIt front end (where you choose the OS to boot), it's barely over a minute. Most C-net readers know about the speed, ease, safety, and general superiority of Mac OS X, but I've been impressed by MEPIS-64, a Linux distro based on an Ubuntu Dapper core but with support for 3rd party drivers, built-in plugins, utilities, and KDE enhancements that make it a pleasure to use, and it's a true 64-bit rocket of an OS. If you're interested in Linux, particularly as a potential Windoze switcher, I recommend you take a look over at mepis.org and learn about this extraordinary OS.

Collapse -
41 sec
by mufeta / June 15, 2007 2:34 PM PDT

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.60GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Hard Drive: 450 GB Total
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
Monitor: SONY SDM-HS75P DVI-D
Sound Card: Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)
Speakers/Headphones: xfree 5.1 surroundsound
Operating System: Windows Vista? Ultimate (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205)

only runing a few games and avg

Collapse -
My Mac
by wizwaz3 / June 15, 2007 2:40 PM PDT

A fresh start-up takes around 10-15 seconds for me. A restart is about 8-10 secs.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.