Storage forum

General discussion

How Long Does DBAN take to Work?

by nnoxid / July 26, 2010 8:34 PM PDT

Has anyone used DBAN, how long does it take to wipe your hardrive? (please specify capacity etc).

Reason I'm asking is because The Airport in my country normally checks all computers. I don't have anything immoral, only Some pirated software (and the airport here makes issues and fines about that). I simply cannot afford to buy software!!

So my plan is to launch DBAN when the authouraties decided to check my computer? Do you think this could work in time? Please advise.

Thanks
Dean

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How Long Does DBAN take to Work?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How Long Does DBAN take to Work?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not long enough
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 26, 2010 8:45 PM PDT

DBAN is not a 'quick solution' and if you're waiting at Customs at the airport expecting to be checked, you will not finish the process in time. That in itself would be suspicious and if I were a Customs Official I would begin investigating further if a traveller turned up with a laptop running DBAN or similar.

I find your post rather strange.

Saying that you have "pirated software which is not immoral" is a matter of opinion. I find it immoral, and offensive. We don't discuss piracy in these forums and such discussions often get locked.

But not only that, if you cannot afford to buy the software, then you don't use it. It is that simple. If you cannot afford to buy a car, do you steal it? If so that is a criminal offense in most countries, and to me software piracy is the same.

You do realise that DBAN wipes everything? The whole hard disk. Nothing survives.

That's it from me but beware, I am tracking this discussion. Any 'workarounds' or otherwise replies that I feel contravene Forum Policy and I will start deleting and will lock the post.

Mark

Collapse -
you make no sense
by nnoxid / July 26, 2010 10:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Not long enough

Being a part time computer and network tecnician as well as a systems administrator I KNOW VERY WELL WHAT PIRACY IS! And Yes I also know how DBAN works, All I wanted to know was an average of how long it takes to function.

Your argument is useless.

First of all if a person can't afford a car there is always public transport. This is not always the case with Software!!!

I use many open source and freeware programs but there are still certain programs that I need which are neither of these and this is when I turn to piracy! (and this is not my will, I only use it because my university insists that I use certain programs!!)

Secondly.. I did not ask you for any pirated software! WHAT I ASKED is how long a perfectly legal program will take to run. As I said your argument is useless.

Well Now Ill just use DBAN myself and see how long it takes rather than wasting the rest of my time arguing with you.

Collapse -
Locked.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2010 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: you make no sense

As we can't discuss pirated software, this discussion is now closed.

If you want to discuss DBAN, do that to avoid discussion locks.

If you want to discuss justifying use of pirated goods then post that in another forum so you can get going on the topics.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.