Desktops forum

How is this for a custom gaming pc?

by Oweineh / December 12, 2012 8:50 PM PST

i am going to buy these parts for my new pc, how will it perform with games such as witcher 2, battlefield 3, AC3? i'm on tight budget and i can afford the following parts:- (i am not gonna OC)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 AM3 3.4Ghz 512KB 45NM 125W 4000MHZ

GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7870 2 GB GDDR5 DVI-I/HDMI/2x Mini-Displayport PCI-Express 3.0 Graphic Card GV-R787OC-2GD

Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX AM3+ AMD 760G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD

Memory: Patriot Memory Intel Extreme Masters Viper 3 Series DDR3 8GB (2x4GB) 1866MHz (PC3 15000) Memory Kit PVI38G186C9K

Power Supply: Corsair Builder Series CX 500 Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS (CX500)

i already have an HDD and an optical drive that i am gonna use, as for the case i gonna look for an average case that's well ventilated and can fit these parts, i am not looking for an outstanding case

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How is this for a custom gaming pc?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How is this for a custom gaming pc?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by bob b / December 13, 2012 1:17 AM PST

That cpu/gpu combo wants some serious power.

You might want to bump that psu to the 600w or more range.

Collapse -
by Oweineh / December 13, 2012 3:01 AM PST

yeah many people told me that, i wil get 750 w is that enough?
thanks for the reply btw Grin

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2012 3:02 AM PST
In reply to: Yea

If the 750 Watt has too many rails you can run into trouble. That's why the advice is to get a single rail if you don't want to research that area.

Collapse -
by Oweineh / December 13, 2012 3:12 AM PST
In reply to: Maybe.

sorry i am a beginner when it comes to this, can you please help me out on this one?
what particular power supply do you recommend? except for the corsair 600 w cause it's sold out

Collapse -
Just like above.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2012 3:21 AM PST
In reply to: Help

It's a big world and you didn't provide a product link for me to see if the PSU had one or more rails.

Also, if the sellers are not answering your questions, it's a bad sign that support is not going to get better.

Collapse -
by Oweineh / December 13, 2012 3:28 AM PST
In reply to: Just like above.

Lol sorry i forgot Silly , any ways i found a good psu and here's a link

as for the 750 w it's this one

Collapse -
by bob b / December 13, 2012 6:02 AM PST
In reply to: THX

Go with the 750.
It's a single rail fuss.

Collapse -
My secret is out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2012 6:05 AM PST
In reply to: THX
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.