Laptops forum

General discussion

how hot is too hot

by KING_OF_SAND / September 28, 2009 10:50 AM PDT

i have a g71gx gaming laptop; (yes i have the 1201 bios for it). i just want to know on average how hot games like crysis get. and what temp i should be keeping my laptop at while intense gaming.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: how hot is too hot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: how hot is too hot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
GPU
by KING_OF_SAND / September 28, 2009 11:55 AM PDT
In reply to: how hot is too hot

im referring to the GPU

Collapse -
Should be a lap burner.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2009 12:06 PM PDT

Many go get laptop cooling pads.

Collapse -
cooling pad
by KING_OF_SAND / September 28, 2009 12:10 PM PDT

ya im going to be getting one but i want to know what temp is safe for a 260m and how hot games like crysis get while playing it.

Collapse -
If you read other posts then you know
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2009 9:41 PM PDT
In reply to: cooling pad

That temps run high in the laptops. Expect 100C at the worst and enjoy the laptop for the few years these last. I'm still finding folk that didn't research how or why gamer laptops have short lives and run hot. They ignore all the warnings and after they buy they act as if no one warned them.
Bob

Collapse -
I'm a believer
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2009 7:31 AM PDT
In reply to: cooling pad
Collapse -
yes and no...
by pepsidrinker67 / September 28, 2009 2:31 PM PDT

from what i've read, i just googled "g71gx overheating" and found alot of people saying it gets hot to extended gaming (a few hours or so) they've had their laptops overheat. the real question cant be answered as a temperature or anything and its really up to airflow also, would you be playing on a desk, or on have the laptop on a bed where it sinks down into teh blankets with less airflow? honestly from what i've googled, people are saying the exact same thing as they do for most newer laptops...:
1. buy a notebook cooling mat
2. keep it on a desk where the vents can actually hot air out
3. dont crank up settings so high just because the laptop can handle it, as it may cause more heat since more is being processed.
4. keep it clean..such as clean the dust from the vents and fans every so often.
and anything else im missing, but basically its all common sense.

as to how hot is too hot...i've seen laptops still perform under 90C temps, yes 90C, which is around almost 200F. but honestly i'd try to keep the temps around 60C max. you can find tons of free tools to monitor temps also, such as HWmonitor, and SpeedFan is a free software that lets you change your fan speeds easier, and there is a software called IO Bits Game Booster, it works slightly better than expected in temporarily shutting down background items not needed freeing up more ram for you game, and its customizeable.
hope my rambling on helped you at least a little Happy

Collapse -
wow
by KING_OF_SAND / September 28, 2009 5:27 PM PDT
In reply to: yes and no...

i appreciate the info but my laptop standby temp is about 67c. the problem with this laptop is that without the bios it drops the voltage to the GPU dropping your FPS from 60 to 2. but i have the bios update. and my pc running games like half life and counter strike gets to 90c and playing crysis goes to about 97c. and i have it on a dest but with no fan.

and another thing do you know anything about bios updates?

Collapse -
unfortunately...
by pepsidrinker67 / September 29, 2009 6:00 AM PDT
In reply to: wow

i know little about bios updates so im afraid to give advice since i dont want to mess anything up, but i would recommend a cooling mat.

Collapse -
cooling mat
by KING_OF_SAND / September 29, 2009 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: unfortunately...

How helpful is a cooling mat? by that i mean how well does it drop the temp and or keep it down.

There's one at best buy I'm looking at but its around $50 bucks i just want to know if it's worth it.

Collapse -
well...
by pepsidrinker67 / September 29, 2009 11:08 AM PDT
In reply to: cooling mat

im not sure if it would be worth the 50 bucks, but you can buy decent ones that work well at keeping airflow and heat in check for like 30 bucks in some stores, and online (newegg and others) you can get them cheaper

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.