Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

How go I get rid of Search Assistant

by randomidone / January 7, 2008 6:37 PM PST

I have a Toshiba MK8025GAS, 80 gig, external hard drive. The problem is that when I go to my computer, then double click on the external hard drive, instead of the files/folders or whatever is on this hard drive appearing, this search assistant (with this little dog) pops up in the left window pane. How do I bypass that search function and just get the contents of my drive to show up?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How go I get rid of Search Assistant
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How go I get rid of Search Assistant
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
De-select it.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 7, 2008 6:54 PM PST

Open Search, (Start > Search), and select "Change Preferences". Click "Without an animated screen character".

Mark

Collapse -
Maybe I stated problem incorrectly...
by randomidone / January 7, 2008 7:10 PM PST
In reply to: De-select it.

When I double click on my f drive to pull up my external hard drive, it goes directly to a search results page. What I want to happen is for the contents of that drive to appear instead of that search results page. If I left click and select open, I get the desired result but I would like to just double click as with opening any other file, folder or drive.

Collapse -
Is this when you use My Computer?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 7, 2008 7:38 PM PST

You mentioned my computer in the first post, but I just assumed you were talking about your computer. So, is this when you double click the "My Computer" icon on your Desktop? Then when you double click a drive, (any drive), you get a Search Results display?

If so, I am stumped. What has been searched for in the Search Results page?

Personally, I don't use My Computer for file management. I use XP's Windows Explorer, which can be found at Start > All Programs > Accessories > Windows Explorer. I have copied this as a shortcut to my Desktop for ease of use.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: Maybe I stated problem incorrectly...
by Tufenuf / January 7, 2008 7:53 PM PST

randomidone, Click Start>Run and type in:

regsvr32 /i shell32

Click OK.

Restart your computer.

Note that the spacing is important.

This should correct your ptoblem.

Tufenuf

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.