How To forum

Resolved Question

How does Yahoo's free email stack up against the others?

by Katherine M. Gibbs / November 7, 2013 7:11 AM PST

There's more to my question than wondering how Yahoo's free email program stacks up against other free email programs. We're actually cancelling our AT&T service (home phone & internet), and no one seems to know what will happen to my current email address (and my saved mail, contacts, etc.) when we do that. Tech #1 claims that nothing will happen to my email address after cancelling the service. That it's just an email address and it should continue to be there for me. Tech #2 says, "Oh no," and recommends that I either use my new provider's email program or subscribe to a free email service. I think I'd prefer to go the free email route so that I never have to go through this again. Yahoo & AT&T seem to be affiliated, so I'm wondering if there's a way I could transfer my contacts and saved emails before the service is officially cancelled. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Katherine M. Gibbs has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How does Yahoo's free email stack up against the others?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How does Yahoo's free email stack up against the others?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Where can I find this program?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2013 7:34 AM PST

I use Yahoo's web email but that's not a program. If you could provide a link to Yahoo's program, others may look it over but for many of us, Thunderbird is a better option.
Bob

Collapse -
Link to Yahoo mail
by Katherine M. Gibbs / November 7, 2013 7:50 AM PST
Collapse -
Very nice effort.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2013 9:30 AM PST
In reply to: Link to Yahoo mail

But the more I look the more danger signs. I can't find support for backup, restore, export, import and well, all those things we do to keep our data safe.
Bob

Collapse -
Clarification Request
After you quit your AT&T service
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 7, 2013 10:34 AM PST

So you have gone, or will be going, from having, presumably, DSL broadband service, to having no Internet service at all. At least you did not mention another provider.

Perhaps you have misunderstood the meaning of FREE email programs. You still need an internet service provider to connect to the internet and thence to their email server.

As for your existing email address, cancel your Internet service and your email address, KMG at ATT.net (or something similar) goes away. All the contacts and emails, gone.

The Yahoo program you showed us if for an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. You never did tell us what you used to get your mail prior to discontinuing service

P

Collapse -
Thank you,
by Katherine M. Gibbs / November 7, 2013 1:04 PM PST

but your presumption is not quite right. I've gone from AT&T Uverse/DSL broadband to 30meg cable internet service. The full install of cable tv, internet and phone services was supposed to occur on Nov 6. So far, our television and internet service have been switched, and I still have access to my current email account. On Monday, our AT&T phone service will cease to exist....and that's when I'm concerned that my current email address will go with it. Obviously, I'm not very technically inclined.....and the conflicting information from techs doesn't give me confidence -- one way or the other -- as to what will occur on Monday. Perhaps I should set up a free email account beforehand just to be safe and import all of my contacts. It's actually a bit more complicated than that because I have used my email address as my username for access to accounts on many websites. Those changes would require more time to change.

Collapse -
(NT) good luck with the changeover
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 7, 2013 8:37 PM PST
In reply to: Thank you,

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Katherine M. Gibbs

Collapse -
Thunderbird.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / November 7, 2013 7:22 AM PST
Collapse -
Oops!
by Katherine M. Gibbs / November 7, 2013 7:58 AM PST
In reply to: Thunderbird.

I inadvertently clicked thumbs up. Didn't mean to click either thumbs up or down. Still hope someone knows what's likely to happen when our service is switched over.....whether I lose my current email address with all contacts and saved messages, etc. when that occurs.....or if I can still access it. If I had the answer to that, I'd know whether I need to quickly sign up for a new email address. I'd also like to know if the free email that Yahoo offers is a good way to go. Thank you.

Collapse -
I've never...
by Dafydd Forum moderator / November 7, 2013 8:08 AM PST
In reply to: Oops!

... used Yahoo but I was with AOL and since changing my ISP I've had no problems importing My contacts etc.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Good
by Katherine M. Gibbs / November 7, 2013 8:29 AM PST
In reply to: I've never...

to know. Thanks.

Collapse -
Well Katherine
by itsdigger / November 7, 2013 8:29 AM PST
In reply to: Oops!

I can tell you what I've learned just recently.... I never wanted Thunderbird or any other desktop email program , I installed Thunderbird just to see if I could import my contacts from Yahoo and Gmail because someone (who will remain nameless Devil ) said " most folks can't do it because it's not easy enough". This really bugged me so,I figured out how to do that ,and there I had all of my contacts stored on my computer. Than I posted what I had accomplished and he (who shall remain nameless Devil ) said " The reason we import our contacts is just in case something happens to our email accounts " Shocked ... He who shall remain nameless Devil makes us Learn Lessons without knowing we're being taught Blush ....I thank him for that....The moral of the story is "we back up what we don't want to lose" so just in case you lose your ATT email address, Import your contacts to be safe....Digger

Collapse -
Enw.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / November 7, 2013 8:33 AM PST
In reply to: Well Katherine

Google that. I know it.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
lol !
by itsdigger / November 7, 2013 8:40 AM PST
In reply to: Enw.

you probably do... Grin

Collapse -
Sounds like
by Katherine M. Gibbs / November 7, 2013 8:33 AM PST

a good recommendation. Thank you. Happy

Collapse -
P.S
by itsdigger / November 7, 2013 8:54 AM PST

you don't need Thunderbird to import your contacts to your computer , just place them in a csv. file or if you're using Linux or Mac, an Apple vCard format file...Digger

Collapse -
vCard is not an Apple format,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 7, 2013 10:37 AM PST
In reply to: P.S

it is the file standard for electronic business cards.

P

Collapse -
hmm
by itsdigger / November 7, 2013 10:47 AM PST

well thats what the choices are to export from gmail and that's what worked for importing to Linux ,that's all I know...Digger

Collapse -
Here's the Export choices
by itsdigger / November 7, 2013 11:00 AM PST
In reply to: hmm

Which contacts do you want to export?
Selected contacts (0)
The group (28)
All contacts (40)

Which export format?
Google CSV format (for importing into a Google account)
Outlook CSV format (for importing into Outlook or another application)
vCard format (for importing into Apple Address Book or another application)

Collapse -
Export all contacts.
by Katherine M. Gibbs / November 7, 2013 1:09 PM PST

I don't understand what you mean by "export format," but based on the little I know, it wouldn't be any of those listed. I won't be using a Google account or importing into Outlook, nor will I be importing into Apple Address Book.

Collapse -
Here's the instructions
by itsdigger / November 7, 2013 5:20 PM PST
In reply to: Export all contacts.
Collapse -
Thanks.
by Katherine M. Gibbs / November 8, 2013 3:28 AM PST

I'll check it out!! When I was in my email yesterday looking for a way to print all of my contacts..as a last resort, I noticed the import/export function. At the time I didn't have a new email, therefore I wasn't in a position to export my contacts. With the link you provided, I think I'll be okay.....except for the issue of changing my email address/username in many of the website accounts I've registered for in the past.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.