Cameras forum

How does the Nikon D90 work as an upgrade for a D80?

by leonardevens / June 14, 2011 7:04 AM PDT

I have a Nikon D80, which I like very much. I am considering getting a Nikon D90 because it has higher resolution and will allow me to see the scene on the viewscreen in back before I take the picture.

Some questions:

1. Are there any surprises? Will all my D80 lenses, such at the 18-200mm work without problems?

2. Can I use the same SD memory cards? I note it also takes SD HC (?) or some such thing. What is the difference?

3. Are the batteries and battery charge the samer? I keep an extra battery in case I run low.

4. Will other D80 accessories such as the remote release, etc. all work?

5. Can I assume that if I buy one from Amazon that it will come with all the Nikon guarantees, i.e., that I won't get a gray market camera?

6. Is there some other choice that might be better?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How does the Nikon D90 work as an upgrade for a D80?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How does the Nikon D90 work as an upgrade for a D80?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Nikon D90
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 14, 2011 10:05 AM PDT

The D90 has been popular since it was introduced.
A good upgrade from the D80.

1. Same lenses
2. Same SD memory cards (HC = High Capacity, 4 gig through 32 gig)
3. Same battery
4. Remote Control:
(D90 - Optional ML-L3 or MC-DC2)
(D80 - Optional ML-L3 or MC-DC1)
5. I can't speak for Amazon
6. D7000 - has HD video

Collapse -
Nikon D90 as D80 upgrade
by leonardevens / June 16, 2011 6:21 AM PDT

I found some answers by myself and some were supplied by snapshot2.

First, let me say that Amazon assures me that the camera would have the full manufacturer guarantees; it is not a gray market product.

I also discovered that my lens, SD cards, and battery should work fine in the D90. Also, I have the ML-L3 infrared remote, so that should also work fine.

I don't need video. The D7000 has some other features which ideally might be useful, but not worth the extra money.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.