TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

How Does One Determine A TV'S Value?

by JayPSU / January 28, 2007 9:11 AM PST

I'm trying to find a Sony 34XBR960, and I'm resigned to the fact that I'll have to buy it used. How do I go about figuring out how much it is worth if I find one used. I could use unbiased opinions.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How Does One Determine A TV'S Value?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How Does One Determine A TV'S Value?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
well
by masterying01 / January 28, 2007 11:15 AM PST

that was an amazing tv and sold for $1599 brand new. i would buy it in a heart beat if i can find it for $900 or less used or new.

Collapse -
also
by masterying01 / January 28, 2007 11:16 AM PST
In reply to: well

look on ebay in the completed auctions section to see what other people are willing to pay for it used.

Collapse -
$600 ;)
by givemeaname / January 28, 2007 3:40 PM PST

that is what my uncle got for his about 4 months ago, but they also bought his house for $680k to go with it Wink

Also try 'Craigs list' give you a bit better idea of what is selling & how much, in your local area + it is free.

FYI: And make sure you say CRT (tube) in the ad, I listed a FlatScreen tv & well most people thought it was a LCD (flat panel), for $40, even though I also included the model# in the description.

Collapse -
CHECK E-BAY OR AMAZON PRICES........
by Riverledge / February 1, 2007 10:05 AM PST

PUT A 'FEELER' OUT.

Collapse -
Sony CRT HD TVs are best, But soon are gone
by sbrasch99 / February 2, 2007 9:17 AM PST

I have a Sony KD-34XBR960, it?s a fantastic TV with a picture quality in my opinion that is far superior over any of the over hyped flat panel TVs. I have not as yet seen a flat panel set at the stores that is equal to it in picture quaity.

The only argument flat panel people use against CRTs is the small screen size, they are too heavy, blocky in size and can not be carried around under your arm.

However the vantages of CRTs way out number that of the flat panel. First of all they CRT's are near the apex of engineering design. Think about it, no color wheels, no back flood lights, no fans to keep it cool,all them will burn out. Also no expansive outside hired calibration is required and the list go?s on.

I hope you have good luck in finding it. But the next best choice may be the Sony 34XBR970.

Again good luck

Marc

Collapse -
I MISSED THE BOAT ON THE XBR960 (MY FAULT) BUT WAS LUCKY....
by Riverledge / February 2, 2007 9:28 AM PST

ENOUGH TO FIND THE SONY KD-34XS955 on close-out last March. A wonderful CRT-HDTV. I can live with it for a long time, happily ever after. LOL,

River.

Collapse -
I have seen.......
by hyghwayman / February 1, 2007 11:32 PM PST

the Sony 34XBR960 is a hard find item now days. Most that are willing to part w/ are asking way too much IMO, 2k and higher!
You could also call around to your local Pawn Shops.

Best of luck in your search,
hyghwayman

Collapse -
SonyXBR970
by jimbooffa / February 2, 2007 7:38 AM PST

Sony sells Tube HDTV model XBR970 on its website for about 1K.

Collapse -
UNFORTUNATELY, THE XBR 970 IS NO XRB 960..........
by Riverledge / February 2, 2007 8:38 AM PST
In reply to: SonyXBR970

INFERIOR CRT, SECOND RATE soundworks, no CABLECard.
The 960 was a very premium CRT-HDTV, see C-NET's review; the 970 is basically assembled from overstock of SONY's HS 34" parts an entry level model (KD-34HS420.)

On the bright side, the 970 has been tweaked-up from the HS, costs about $899 at retail stores, is the last 16:9 34" CRT being mass produced (SONY still makes a 36" 4:3 model, the KD-36FS170.) Probably the best feature of the 970 is the warranty, 2 years parts and labor, 2 years on the CRTube.

There is another model to search for on the net. SONY KD-34XS955, almost the same as the 960 minus some frills. Good hunting about,

river.

Collapse -
bump
by hyghwayman / February 6, 2007 5:05 PM PST

bump

Collapse -
selling my xbr960
by gh_cnet / March 1, 2007 12:45 AM PST

i am selling my xbr 960 if you anyone interested.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.