iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Resolved Question

How does one chat on iPad in a mIRC chat group?

by bob.kopen / January 5, 2012 5:19 PM PST

I bought my wife an iPad thinking she would no longer be stuck at the desktop computer every evening when she joins her support group friends, a chat group using mIRC. She tried to download mIRC on the iPad and it failed. I could find nothing on the App store or any solution via Google search - no discussions, nothing on point. I did read on Wickpedia that mIRC is for windows operating systems and that is likely the problem. But is there a work around? Please help or at least let me know for sure if no solution exists.

bob.kopen has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How does one chat on iPad in a mIRC chat group?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How does one chat on iPad in a mIRC chat group?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by bob.kopen

Collapse -
Re: IRC
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 5, 2012 6:58 PM PST

It's called IRC (Internet Relay Chat). It's a "protocol". mIRC is just one of the many client programs available.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Internet_Relay_Chat_clients gives a rather big list of programs that can be used and their features. Not only for Windows, but also for Mac OS and a lot of Unix and Linux variants. But, indeed, I see no Android or iOS mentioned.

However, http://www.google.com/search?q=irc+android finds a lot of Android clients. Those might (should?) work on an Android phone or tablet (such as the Samsung Galaxy tab).

And http://www.google.com/search?q=irc+ios turns up http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/colloquy-irc-client/id302000478?mt=8 (and maybe more, but I didn't look) says it works on the iPhone and the iPad. For $1.99 it seems worth a try.

So it was just letting of the m and searching for IRC.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
IRC on iPad
by bob.kopen / January 7, 2012 9:47 AM PST
In reply to: Re: IRC

Thanks for your help. We did download Colloquy, but thus far my wife has not found the server she needs, irc.phazenet.com. (Hopefully, she'll let me touch the thing for the first time tomorrow!) If we succeed, I'll let you know.

Collapse -
Colloquy successfully accesses chat room
by bob.kopen / January 8, 2012 4:49 AM PST
In reply to: Re: IRC

Thanks, Kees! You were the only response. I took your suggestion and, after getting my wife to allow me to try, I am now in my wife's chat room on her iPad and my PC at the same time, chatting with myself, of course, because no one else is in the room right now! Happy

Collapse -
You can be sure that others were
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 8, 2012 5:35 AM PST

watching this thread who, after the initial response from Kees, decided to wait to see what your reaction and result would be.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.