PC Applications forum

General discussion

How does BitTorrent actually work? A hidden agenda?

by StarlightMaker / June 3, 2007 6:55 AM PDT

Okay... I must first mention that I have a MacBook Pro AND a PC still using XP (Vista's a little scary). I know there are separate forums for PC and Mac, but I wanna know for both and it's not like there is a joined one. Perhaps BitTorrent works the same for both... I don't know. I tried reading the Wikipedia information on BT, but my questions weren't exactly answered.

My biggest question is: Does BitTorrent work, even when the program isn't actually on?

Anyone get where I'm going with this? I just want to make sure that it's not being evil and slowing my Internet connection down. I'd appreciate any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How does BitTorrent actually work? A hidden agenda?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How does BitTorrent actually work? A hidden agenda?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First the links.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2007 7:34 AM PDT
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=How+does+BitTorrent+work%3F&btnG=Google+Search

Ok, I'll tackle this but will not duplicate anything the can be answered in the first 10 links of the above google search.

"Okay... I must first mention that I have a MacBook Pro AND a PC still using XP (Vista's a little scary). I know there are separate forums for PC and Mac, but I wanna know for both and it's not like there is a joined one. Perhaps BitTorrent works the same for both... I don't know."

That's an easy one. It works the same. For an example, look at Azureus. Same code for all platforms.

"I tried reading the Wikipedia information on BT, but my questions weren't exactly answered."

Let's keep reading your post and find the questions.

"My biggest question is: Does BitTorrent work, even when the program isn't actually on?"

ABSOLUTELY. Even when your machine is not participating in the "swarm" the others are exchanging "packets" and making the file or whatever the torrent is about more available. Even when you are not running it, others are still swapping "packets."

"Anyone get where I'm going with this? I just want to make sure that it's not being evil and slowing my Internet connection down. I'd appreciate any help."

Now you've hit on an item that some complain about. Since torrent traffic can be quite big, some ISPs or others may complain that torrent use does take up bandwidth of the "internet". But my thought here is that spam does a better job of that.

Hope this helps,

Bob
Collapse -
But...
by StarlightMaker / June 3, 2007 9:02 AM PDT
In reply to: First the links.

OK... R. Proffitt, you've helped in a good way, even if it was a bit of bad news... I also appreciated your formatting to answer all my questions. I did look through a few of those sites.

But my question now is: Will BitTorrent continue working even if I uninstall the program? If so that's terribe! What about LimeWire? I got rid of LimeWire and took off all the files, but is it still working? Please tell me no... well, be honest.

Collapse -
Once it's gone...
by John.Wilkinson / June 3, 2007 9:12 AM PDT
In reply to: But...

Once it's successfully uninstalled it is no longer capable of working. However, that does not mean that everything will be back the way it was before you installed it. Some traces will always be left behind (usually a few DLL files, log files, and registry entries), and any malware that came through will remain. In addition, if the port was unblocked so that you could use the P2P software it will remain unblocked until you close it again.

Keep in mind three things:
1.) Scan everything that comes through before opening it...malware is abundant.
2.) Most of the content is illegal, so do the research before downloading.
3.) Your ISP can monitor all traffic and limit your bandwidth if they think the P2P usage is 'over the top.' In addition, their logs can show what was downloaded...keep that in mind concerning #2.

John

Collapse -
working of bittorrent
by sarathp88 / November 27, 2012 8:50 PM PST

Hi,

bittorrent is a peer to peer protocol where a particular file is shared by different users.

Imagine a big file of say 1gb. The torrent client software breaks the file into pieces of 1mb, and calculates the hash each and every piece. (hash is a method to verify the integrity of a file.).
There is a tracker who will keep track of people downloading that 1gb file, and helps other users who are downloading the files in finding people with different pieces.

So if i want to download that file..I will first download the .torrent file from some website(this torrent file will contain information about all the pieces of that file, and the tracker address, and the cryptographic hash of each piece.)

I will connect to the tracker and then ask for the clients downloading(called leeches) or completed downloading(called seeders) so that i can start downloading each pieces. On recieving the pieces from different computers, i will compare each piece with the hash i got from the torrent file..Once i have all the pieces my torrent software will combine it and make the original file..

More Info: http://www.slashroot.in/what-bittorrent-protocol-and-how-does-bittorrent-protocol-work

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.