Laptops forum

General discussion

How do you turn on Backlit Keyboard (Toshiba X500)

by ramosr2 / February 15, 2010 3:32 AM PST

Can anyone tell me how to turn on the backlit keyboard for a Toshiba X500, I've tried fn z but no luck. I've check the Bios and HWsetup and the illumantion was set to on but does not state a keyboard command. I've attempted to google and look and the manual but still haven't found an answers. thanks for any help

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do you turn on Backlit Keyboard (Toshiba X500)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do you turn on Backlit Keyboard (Toshiba X500)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try FN + Z
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2010 4:01 AM PST

"The keyboard CAN be set to stay on all the time. On your Qosmio, just go to: >Start >Toshiba >Utilities >HWSetup >Illumination >then under "Keyboard Backlight," click the radio button "FN" then check the box "On." After you reboot, you'll be able to turn the keyboard on and off by using the "FN" + "Z" keys."

Collapse -
I've tried Fn Z and it doesn't work...
by ramosr2 / February 15, 2010 4:13 AM PST
In reply to: Try FN + Z

I've tried Fn Z and it doesn't work.. In the Hwsetup under the illumination tab there is only an option for Illumination LED on or off. no other option. and on the keyboard tab there is only a listing for wake up on keyboard. nothing for the backlit function.

Collapse -
(NT) Then you have a warranty issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2010 4:44 AM PST
Collapse -
Qosmio X500
by Pinky Vendetti / May 18, 2010 11:22 AM PDT

I just called Toshiba Canada about this very issue and was informed that a backlit keyboard is not available on this model.

Collapse -
Sorry
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2010 9:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Qosmio X500

But the model looks to be from a line of models so I can't know unless you share the exact model number.

Collapse -
model
by Pinky Vendetti / May 19, 2010 2:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry

It is the Qosmio X500-014, basically the Canadian equivalent of the X505 in the US.

Collapse -
How do you turn on Backlit Keyboard (Toshiba.....
by itresabug / June 2, 2013 5:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Try FN + Z

i didn't see the option in the HW setup...but the "FN + Z" worked....thanks!!

Collapse -
on my older Qosmio
by itsdigger / June 2, 2013 8:34 PM PDT

you go into the start up menu and make sure the Toshiba Button Support is enabled than restart.

Collapse -
Keyboard backit
by jigsaw_puzzle / July 26, 2011 4:30 AM PDT

You can fix this from the bios , restart your computer and hit the F2 button . somewhere there you'll find something about Illumination , change you keyboard Illumination , you can let it turned on all the time , or you can even set a timer . like 5 seconds for example, i hope this will help .

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.