Computer Help

General discussion

How do you stop video files from lagging?

by freakyjord2025 / January 21, 2006 8:13 AM PST

Im using my HP desktop for school projects and playing videos/music. It still runs win 98 and has pentium 600 mhz w/ 384 mb ram. my mpegs and avi files always lag behind like the image is way behind the audio. I tried all the media players like divx,wmp,realplayer,and winamp but each one falls behind. is there a really good media player out there or how can i improve my performance to eliminate lag?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do you stop video files from lagging?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do you stop video files from lagging?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Jord, Are These 'Online' Videos...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 21, 2006 8:41 AM PST

...or downloaded videos? Have you checked the computer for viruses and spyware using a variety of removal tools? If so, which ones?

If they're online videos, what type of connection do you have? A dial-up connection will frequently do that..There's really no way to solve the issue unless you get a faster connection.

If the files are downloaded videos that are on your computer's hard drive, then you may have too much stuff running in the background hogging up resources..Try the steps below:

How To Shut Down Unnecessary Start Up Programs

How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

After all of the above, including running Scandisk and Defrag, restart the computer..When you're ready to play the videos, temporarily disable your antivirus programs to free up the resources as well.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Frankly, there really isn't much you can do
by kschang / January 21, 2006 1:46 PM PST

Except to keep your system as optimized as possible and try different players.

A lot of AVI's use codecs that require a lot of CPU power, and the CPU can't handle the load of decompressing both Video and Audio together. This is especially true for the latest codecs like DIVX / H264, and all that.

I understand your plight quite well, and I was getting by on a 400 MHz Celeron. In fact, I'm using it now to type this message.

I recommend VLC (VideoLan player), which seems to work the best on most formats, esp. XVID/DIVX type AVI's. It knows to skip frames when the audio starts to desync.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.