Samsung forum

General discussion

How do you select which audio track to use in an MKV file?

by TomTitt / August 2, 2009 9:26 PM PDT

I?m an owner of an ln40b658 which i sometimes uses to view mkv file trough the PC share Manager. This works great btw.
But one thing I haven?t been able to figure out is how do I select which Audio track to use (in the cases when the mkv file contains more then one)?

The first time I got the wrong audio track I just reached for the remote to press the audio button just to realize that there was none.
And so far I haven?t found any way to select this in menus.

Is there any way to solve this problem?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do you select which audio track to use in an MKV file?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do you select which audio track to use in an MKV file?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
MKV audio
by beerthax / August 3, 2009 3:07 AM PDT
Collapse -
anyone?
by beerthax / August 4, 2009 5:29 PM PDT

Samsung Tech, hows about a push for a possible firmware upgrade to support selection of audio language tracks besides the default one for MKVs?

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 9, 2009 5:38 AM PDT

TomTitt,

Unfortunately, there are no audio selection features for our streaming devices.

As far as the subsequent subtitle question, the same. The feature-set is designed to play one video codec, one resolution, one audio track. If there are multiple tracks, it's likely that a default one would be chosen and it can't be changed.

DLNA is still emerging, and our use of it isn't going to incorporate every possible scenario in its second generation offering. Last year we doubled the number of supported codecs and added more functionality. Firmwares are usually released to fix issues rather than to add functionality. The lack of feature doesn't necessarily mean that a "fix" will occur as a result.

But I'll send it up as a request nonetheless. I think it's a neat idea for people who have several files in the same container to be able to choose them. But I can't guarantee anything will change as a result.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by TomTitt / August 9, 2009 10:30 PM PDT

Thank you for the answer HDTech.

I think this would be a neat idea as well. Especially since people in the future will select the new TV set not only by the quality of the pictures but based the functionality DLNA as well.
I now I did.

// Tomtit

Collapse -
re:
by tyrexden / August 13, 2009 7:38 AM PDT

This isn't a solution you want to hear, but you can can always remux the file using a program on your computer, choosing from within the software the audio track you want to keep. It discards the other track... giving your TV only 1 choice left what to play.

Collapse -
Unbelievable - it's more than a year old and still nowhere..
by Blade1024 / February 7, 2011 5:18 AM PST
In reply to: re:

Hi,

I'm sorry I have a question to Samsung TechRep - it's still not possible to choose the language. When it's going to be possible to do that?

regards

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 7, 2011 6:34 AM PST

Blade1024,

The container supports one language file only. Choosing the language is still not something the TV can do. The best we can suggest is to re-encode using the language you want to watch it in.

I have no way of knowing if this functionality will be added on in the future.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by Blade1024 / February 7, 2011 5:26 PM PST

Can you bring this issue to the attention of EMEA tech office? This is a serious obstacle in EU, which is multinational and only in CH you need four (!!!) languages, and I don't actually think that this is the way the manufacturer should respond to the customers in the multinational continent.

Cheers

Collapse -
What I'm reading.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 8, 2011 12:25 AM PST

Is that many folk are expecting TVs to do what their PCs can do. Or be upgradeable like their PCs.

The message is loud and clear but I wonder if the HDTV will reach such a high calling. One of the other problems is that folk expect the HDTV to decode a wide range of encoded video yet will they comprehend the maze of copyrights, patents and more? And when you go international the maze goes 3D!
Bob

Collapse -
Differences between USB and DLNA!!
by Snowboada33 / February 8, 2011 2:33 AM PST

i have to react, because I explored something today:

I have a MKV here with two language audio channels...

streamed over DLNA there is no option to change language (as we know)
but the same file played directly from USB-HDD offers the change in "TOOLS" on remote-control!!

so this isn't a container-issue

MediaPlay is offering different features depending on Streaming-Mode (USB vs. DLNA)

I have explored a few more differences, which i want to write in a seperate thread...

-Dominik

Collapse -
Why yes there are differences.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 8, 2011 2:36 AM PST

I'm not sure why but many folk expected content that plays on USB to play on DLNA and vice versa.

--> If you write more about this, avoid stepping into something that is documented not to work.
Bob

Collapse -
Differences and licenses
by Blade1024 / February 8, 2011 9:22 PM PST

Bob,

Inside this TV is a linux workstation that does this stuff, so, in essence, yes, I do like as a technical person to get equal support for DNLA as well as USB, or give me ability to mount NFS/Samba drive from my server.
From the user perspective I do expect multiple language support disrespectful from were it's played from. I don't want to hack into my TV either and start installing SamyGO - I want it to be supported by Samsung and, taking into account my experience with the Popcorn , Phillips VoIP Skype phone and couple other devices that I have, they should be provided with the rate of one per quarter to make sure that:
1) Product is acting adequately and doesn't suffer from the hanging, strange unexpected behavior
2) Remain secure and the software inside it, which is connected to the Internet is being properly patched to prevent unauthorized access to the in-house environment.
3) Features that are essential will start working as they should

That's about my expectations to the manufacturer products of which I do buy and expect to function as it's announced. If the MKV is supported, then it should be supported completely and without any restrictions, which, if present, should be worked at.

Regards

Collapse -
Ahh I see
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2011 12:29 AM PST

I think you are falling into that "it's possible" trap. Remember the limitations of patents, committees, and regions.

If you continue down the path of what is possible, then you might lose sight of why things work the way they do.
Bob

Collapse -
It's possible
by Blade1024 / February 9, 2011 5:08 AM PST
In reply to: Ahh I see

Well, it's possible that next time I wouldn't consider Samsung as a supplier as I don't consider Sony or Kingston - I just exclde them from the search. That's possible and, I would say, even most probable outcome of them delivering bad service - never come back. Wink I do, though, consider Asus, MSI, OCZ, 3M, AMD, Intel and couple other firms as a suppliers - they stick to the word, never failed me and, as it seems, don't have intention to. That's pretty much it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.