Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

How do you put music from a store bought CD onto an MP3

by Rineyville / September 1, 2006 11:44 PM PDT

How do you put music from a store bought CD onto an MP3 player or iPod?

I am considering purchasing an MP3 player for my daughter for Christmas. It would mainly be used for putting music from her store bought CDs on it. Which MP3 player would be best suited this purpose?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do you put music from a store bought CD onto an MP3
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do you put music from a store bought CD onto an MP3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For the iPod you just give it to iTunes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2006 12:12 AM PDT

Pretty simple.

For MP3 players they may use other software. I use a generic free tool called CDEX for my CDs.

Collapse -
Best suited...
by AJmach1 / September 4, 2006 7:20 AM PDT

If you want the best player for easily putting CDs onto it, I'd say the iPod is the best. I own an iPod, and I only put music from CDs on it. iTunes does it all for you, all you have to do is put the CD in and click import. I actually have iTunes set up to import my CDs automatically when I put one in. iTunes also updates your iPod automatically when you connect it to your PC.

The Toshiba Gigabeat and the iRiver H10 both use Windows Media Player to import and update, but I've never used either so I don't know how easy it is.

Collapse -
EAC, LAME, and Windows Explorer
by BassBinDevil / September 4, 2006 11:47 AM PDT

Well, the way I do it is to ''rip'' the CDs to MP3 using a free program called ''Exact Audio Copy'', which invokes the LAME MP3 encoder (set to the highest quality setting, 320k VBR). I then plug my MP3 player into the USB port, where it is recognized as a ''removable disk'', and I just copy the files over using Windows Explorer.

Collapse -
by Frankgsdsfadf / September 5, 2006 12:49 PM PDT

Use any MP3 player, they will all accept music from CDs. Now to do that, go into Windows Media player or another audio program, and find something that says "Rip from CD" Click it, and then all the files will be added to your music library. Then add them to a sync list, like in Windows Media Player, and they will be playable on your mp3 player.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.