The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

How do you keep track of all your passwords?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / June 13, 2005 7:38 AM PDT

How do you keep track of all your passwords?

It's all in here, baby (pointing to brain)
I write them down
Easy, I use one password for everything!
Password manager software (which one?)
Document them on my computer (tell us how)
More than one of the above
None of the above (tell us what else you do)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do you keep track of all your passwords?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do you keep track of all your passwords?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Robo-form saves my day
by Bob27852 / June 14, 2005 6:52 AM PDT

A co-worker turned me on to Robo-Form, which I use to create/store/populate my password needs. It resides on my desktops at home and at work, and my passwords are in a file on my flash drive, which travels with me. Robo-Form allows me to enter my own passwords and it will save them, OR, it can generate a secure password and store it, so I never even have to know what it is. This works out great for me, as a programmer, since I can have secure passwords for every application, and I never have to remember any of them!

Collapse -
re:Robo-form saves my day
by pctuneup / June 14, 2005 7:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Robo-form saves my day

Absolutely! I have been using RoboForm for more than a year and it is the BEST. Use a flash drive! Use their flash drive resident program! Worth the money! Don't forget to back 'em up - RoboForm includes a (non-automatic) backup option, plus they offer a Palm OS module for viewing your files AND generating passwords.

The only other password program I used was Whisper32 which wasn't bad. I created separate files in the same way RoboForm lets you create separate profiles.

Collapse -
Robo form...
by Shari2005 / June 14, 2005 8:57 AM PDT

Does one have to use a flash drive with this? Couldn't you just remember the master password...or does it work some other way? Haven't used any before.

Collapse -
Robo Form
by bob-stockbridge / June 14, 2005 10:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Robo form...

No you do not have to use a flash drive for this, you can install it resident on your computer. A flash drive just gives you the option of removing the data from your computer and taking it with you if you want to. Or to remove it when you have someone else using your computer and do not want to tempt them.

Collapse -
RoboForm Backup Tip
by stepdg / June 14, 2005 1:46 PM PDT

This one is a life saver!

One of the great features of RoboForm is the ability to state where you want your passwords saved. I simply changed the location to a subfolder of ''My Documents''. Now every time I log on or log off, my roaming profile backs up all the passwords to the server. All it takes is one hard drive failure to *LOVE* this rapid method of recovery. Be sure and remember your RoboForm password, just in case.

Collapse -
by hitbit / October 22, 2005 10:02 PM PDT

RoBo Form Simply the best

Collapse -
RoboForm saves my day ... it's amazing
by lfrancisco / June 14, 2005 8:05 AM PDT

I've had RoboForm for about 19 months or so and have loved it from the start. It puts me at ease to know that I only need to worry about changing one tough to break password rather than my couple hundred passwords that RoboForm keeps up with. I feel that piece of paper can get into the wrong hands faster than my thumb drive that is backed up on my PC.

Collapse -
Robo-form saves my day
by Shari2005 / June 14, 2005 8:58 AM PDT

Does one have to use Flash card to use this program?

Collapse -
MS Access
by uling / June 15, 2005 1:59 AM PDT

MS Access will do the work. I write my own software and store user ID and passwords in a password protected Access database. That database password is the only one I need to remember. When logging in to a site or whatever I run my software to locate username and password. Then copy and paste will do the rest.

Collapse -
RoboForm on Pocket PC too
by oshnbreeze / June 18, 2005 9:34 AM PDT

I also have RoboForm on my pocket PC. Wouldn't leave home without it.

Collapse -
Does Anyone Have an older Version of Roboform?
by bkzoner / July 9, 2005 3:49 AM PDT

I just did a system recovery, and forgot to save my installer file for my free version of Roboform. It was version 5.2 -something. (Thankfully, I did save my passcards and identities.) Now, I have discovered that the older versions are no longer available for download from the website, nor anywhere else I can find. I really dislike the newer versions.

I did find someone who was incredibly generous enough to email me a copy of the program, only to find it was a version 4, and it didn't recognize the file format of my passcards to import them into the program. I could still manage with it if I could remember all the my passwords, but of course after using Roboform, one doesn't feel they need to remember them!

Does anyone have a version 5 of the program that they would be so kind as to send to me? I'm certain that any version 5 would recognize the format of my saved passcards. I'd be greatly indebted, probably for LIFE!

Tania (

Collapse -
old version Roboform
by webscoollinks / August 10, 2005 3:11 PM PDT

Hi! I would be more than happy to help you. I have just went thru a 2 week problem with my Roboform. I deleted an old one, and updated BY MISTKE, only to have 10 passcards only to save. I have 4-1-6 and 4-6-8 BUT if you want the 5 something version you can get it by going to THAT WILL ONLY ALLOW YOU TO SAVE 10 PASSCARDS THO.
Let me know if you need an older one or you can do it like I did - do a search for "old version roboform" and all the old links can be found within the 1st 10 listings of web page links for that search.

Have a great Day - Robin from Toledo
PS - if you have time, please visit my site at

Collapse -
Old Version Roboform
by bkzoner / August 19, 2005 2:55 PM PDT
In reply to: old version Roboform

Thank you, Robin from Toledo! You pointed me in the right direction to find and download Roboform 5.0.6 which uses the same format as my saved passcards. (Also, it appears I can save an unlimited number of passcards.) The various versions are posted at the "Request" forum. Do a search for "Roboform" at that forum, Click on "Roboform", and scroll down to #5 posted on 09-18-2004, 12:25 PM.

Have a great day too, Robin!

Collapse -
by redvolvo7995 / December 26, 2006 10:03 PM PST
In reply to: Old Version Roboform

RoboForm is, without a doubt, by far the BEST program I have ever installed. Do NOT know what I would do without it.

Collapse -
by Catmoves / January 12, 2007 1:59 AM PST

I just recently downloaded Roboform and so far it's great. But I also write down my very complicated passwords. I have, however, forsaken wearing suspenders and a belt.

Collapse -
by mullaghboy / June 14, 2005 6:53 AM PDT

Simply by using "Roboform"

Collapse -
Password software
by cpalmertaylor / June 14, 2005 6:57 AM PDT

I use SplashID to hold all of my many, many, many passwords.

Collapse -
Password Software
by Omnitron78 / June 14, 2005 7:07 AM PDT

for both Business and personal - SplashId.

Collapse -
variations on a theme
by neminem / June 14, 2005 7:10 AM PDT

My base password is something that anyone who knew anything about my life could guess; I've been using that one for ages and a half. For things I don't care that much about, I'll just use that cause it's the easiest. For things that I wouldn't want hacked, though, I'll simply tack a couple extra letters somewhere. That way, I just need to remember those variations, but it'd still be pretty much impossible to brute-force any of those. But I only use a small handful of those variations, so *I* can still brute-force my own password if I forget. This way, too, if someone did get my password to something, they couldn't then access everything.

Of course, I also use Mozilla's Password Manager on my own computer, so if someone got my physical computer, that'd just suck.

Collapse -
by Red Rana / June 14, 2005 7:40 AM PDT
In reply to: variations on a theme

I take this idea just a little further. I have multiple base passwords for different families of passwords (work, personal finances, freebie websites &c.) and append some word or number string based on the site. Generally I won't write down the really sensitive ones (or write down the stem on paper) but I set the computer to remember the throwaway logins.

So far I haven't forgotten any of the important ones because I force myself to type them in manually every time I login.

Collapse -
Password manager software (which one?)
by John Wessel / June 14, 2005 7:11 AM PDT

Any Password Version 1.31

Collapse -
Keyring for Palm OS.
by AJLC / June 14, 2005 7:41 AM PDT

Keyring for PalmOS
Open source. Secure. Free. basic user interface. Backups to one or more PCs when Palm is synchronized. A secure reader is available for Windows.

I keep all my important info on in the Keyring secure archive on my Palm. Since my palm is grafted onto my hip I have all my passwords in one place. Readily available.

Collapse -
Keeping passwords electronically
by slanders / June 14, 2005 7:18 AM PDT

I do "keep" my passwords on my PC, but only in a form that will jog my memory and not actually give the password away. For example, I might just type the first letter of an unusual password and then type special characters indicating the approximate length of the password.

Collapse -
I use "Crunch" encrypt/decrypter on a text file for ea. acct
by Tom Churchill / June 14, 2005 7:21 AM PDT

I store an encrypted text file, named for every new account that I open. The CRUNCH program (freeware easily found) encrypts the textfile and simply adds .xxx to the *.txt file name, so you still see the file name. Only I know the KEY word stored only in my head. For some reason, I don't trust password-manager programs because I cannot believe the creators don't have a backdoor into them.

Collapse -
How to remember a difficult password
by Keith Sylvester / June 14, 2005 7:24 AM PDT

To create what I consider to be a difficult password to break, I memorise a little ditty eg."Twinkle twinkle little star, how I wonder what you are." I then use the first character of each word for my password- wherever an "I" appears, I use a 1 and wherever a "you" appears, I use a U and an r for "are". So the above will be "ttlsh1wwur". Another example would be a verse from the Bible. e.g. the first line of the Lord's prayer "ofwa1hhbtn". Or a line from a favourite poem or shakespeare. Passwords like these are hard to guess, but easy for the owner to remember.

Collapse -
Password Manager
by terryfowler / June 14, 2005 7:27 AM PDT

I use Whisper which is password protected and also keep a copy of the latest whisper file together with the whisper software on a floppy disk (remember those) in case I have a system crash

Collapse -
I use Flex-Wallet
by winsoar / June 14, 2005 7:28 AM PDT

I use this program on my desktop and on my iPAQ.
I have Norton Password Manager but don't use it much

Collapse -
Using Norton Password Manager because it was free, but...
by BunnyBuns / June 14, 2005 7:30 AM PDT

... I don't recommend it. I got this program free when I bought Norton Internet Security. While it works fine on my laptop, it's been nothing but trouble on my desktop. It works fine for a few weeks, then the installation manager starts trying to install the software - but it's already installed. I try to cancel the installation, but it keeps restarting and restarting and restarting ... and gives me an error message saying it can't be installed because some component is missing. I have to reboot, uninstall the software, and reboot to make it stop. I've tried downloading the latest version and reinstalling a few times, only to have this problem arise again a few weeks later. So, it's now uninstalled permanently, and I've written down my passwords on an index card and taped it to my monitor (which is okay because I live alone).

Collapse -
Password manager
by terryfowler / June 14, 2005 7:30 AM PDT

Sorry, I should have said Whisper 32, a Google search for this gives me

Collapse -
by KwajKeith / June 14, 2005 7:32 AM PDT

I keep my passwords in Cryptinfo on my Palm (and PC). I create them with numbers, upper and lower case and special characters (if allowed). I also create a new email address for each registration using spamex.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.