Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

How do you install two OS's in the same computer.

by Popi / September 6, 2006 8:28 AM PDT

On a new computer, I will have two hard disks with
250GB each. I would like to install one XP Pro and one XP Media Center Edition. If possible, will each
operating system has a seperate registry for each.

Bill Taylor

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: How do you install two OS's in the same computer.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: How do you install two OS's in the same computer.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Partition and then install.
by strickjh2005 / September 6, 2006 9:09 AM PDT

While installing the 1st OS, you will be asked if you want to delete everything, keep it the same, partition ect.

Choose partition. Hack up your hard drive as you see fit. If I only had a 250 (shudder) I would break it up as 50gb C, 51gb D, the remainder E (Something like 147gb). (Make all sizes different so that you can easily identify the partitions even if they are labled wrong.)

Install the First OS on C, set it up nicely.

Restart and instal the second OS on the unused partition that is 51gb.

If you automatically boot into one without an option to boot into the first, then go to Start>run>msconfig

Collapse -
2 OS
by Popi / September 7, 2006 1:04 AM PDT

Thank you for the instructions. Yes, 250MB is enough for my computer. I may pull one of the hard disc and put it in an older computer.

Bill Taylor

Collapse -
You could also use virtual PC 2004
by Edward ODaniel / September 7, 2006 6:09 AM PDT
In reply to: 2 OS

which Microsoft is making (has made) available for free.

This would allow you to actually USE both op systems at the same time rather than ha ving to shut down and restart every time you want to change or work in the other OS.

Also do not have to worry about re-partitioning.

Collapse -
Working 2 OS in a computer
by huzaintvm01 / December 17, 2010 2:10 AM PST

i have 500gb hdd & 4gb ram

i installed windows 7 then xp on another partition, but icant boot windows7

Collapse -
Sounds right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2010 2:14 AM PST

XP would overwrite the boot manager. To repair this is WELL DOCUMENTED but I find some folk don't have the right Windows 7 DVD.

Collapse -
Dual Boot
by Zosan / September 7, 2006 11:20 PM PDT

There is a dual boot option available in Windows XP that allows both two copies of XP to run on the same hard drive. This option will setup a dual boot when the system restarts. Simply install Windows XP (Home, Pro or Multimedia) by booting from the CD at startup. Keep the file system in tack, but install the new operating system in a different folder other than Windows. I usually use WINXP. You'll find this option available by hitting the ESC key when asked where to install the operating system.

Upon reboot the system will ask if you which operating system you would like to use.

You'll have to reload all of your programs since the new registry will not contain any information about the programs on the hard drive. All documents and data remain in tack, but copies of My Documents will need to be created in the new My Documents folder.

Collapse -
dual windows problem
by amit sharma25111987 / September 7, 2010 3:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Dual Boot

hello friends i had installed 2 windows xp and 7 both were working gud but i decided to upgrade from xp2 to xp3 but error occured so i decided to remove extra files from my c drive which was containing xp2 but unfortunately i deleted some files so my xp windows stopped working but 7 worked properly so i repaired xp from my xp2 cd but now after repairing the selection option on startup is not coming so i am not able to use my windows 7 plz help me how can i get selection option so that i can use both windows plz heeellllpppppppp meeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

i wil b very thankfulll

Collapse -
How do you install two OS's in the same computer.
by [STORM] / September 9, 2006 11:20 AM PDT

hi mate bit of a pain in the back end but yes it can be done it's called duall booting bacsicly two way of doing it if you have 2 hard drives then you can do it the easy way and you still have hair i your head i do this way cose i have got xp and vista go to ebay and buy 2 hard drive expanions it means it like a slide tray you put your hard drive in then fit one of the expanions trays in one of you cd rom slots and put ont hard drives in one tray and the outher one in the outher now put the try in and for mat put xp on wone and put meadia cnter on the outher that is the easy way. now the hard way go to the micrsoft web sight and type in the search bar duall booting systems download all the text documents you will need them the one your looking for wont be ther so look for xp and windows 98 sc this will help you.
now the the fun part dig out the xp disk and reformat the hard drive when you have fomated the hard drive run and install windows xp when it coms to the partision screen deleat the partision you must do this then make a new partision and split the hard drive in to 2 partisions when you make the 2 partisions in stall xp on the c: drive when you have compleated this get out you meadi center disk and repeat the same but put it on th second partision the name of d: when it is compleat shut down computer and start up and you should get a black screen askeing you which os you wise to use but dont for get keep checking the text you downloaded from microsoft it will help you a lot so have fun. Storm

Collapse -
Simple STuff
by dennisadelman / September 9, 2006 9:02 PM PDT

This is really simple stuff as long as you do it right.
I only used pc`s for 6 months before i jumped in and installed a second hard drive and put Linux Ubunto on it.

I now dualboot and everything works great.As long as your careful when it comes to the "partitioning" of your second disk and you dont confuse it with the main one.

It can all get a bit confusing with "hd0" and "hd1" or "hda! and hdb"......

I aint going to tell you how to do it all as these guys are much more experienced but suffice to say that it was the best thing i could have done to my pc well THIS one.

The only "question" that will remain is"WHICH" operating system you want to put on it?

There IS ONLY one real answer but i aint going to be the one to inffluence you........

Good luck ..IM off to play with my Penguin!!!

Collapse -
installation of ubuntu
by hatmancan / October 13, 2008 10:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Simple STuff

i am new to this and was wondering if anyone could email me instructions on how to install 2 os's..i have 2 40mg hdrives..first is loaded with windows xp sp3..i have alot of business files on this drive..
my second drive i have been using to store data..
i would like to install ubuntu 8.04 on my second hard drive? how can i do this without losing any data on my first drive and being able to use either op system?
is this possible as popi and dennisadelman suggest
ty in advance hayman

Collapse -
For now, just run from CD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2008 10:38 AM PDT
In reply to: installation of ubuntu

The problem is that the boot manager that will be installed, while great is a little painful to deal with if you decide to uninstall it. Or if you remove the second hard disk. If you want to tinker and don't want to disrupt the business aspect of the PC I suggest you run it from CD until you find another suitable guinea pig machine.

Collapse -
running from cd
by hatmancan / October 13, 2008 10:49 AM PDT

if i run from the cd within windows..can i save data to my second drive?
or am i going to only be able to use it every time i use the cd?in other words can i tell ubuntu to save my work to the second hard drive and retrieve the next time i put the cd in?
ty again

Collapse -
I just boot from the CD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2008 10:58 AM PDT
In reply to: running from cd

I can save to NTFS volumes on newer versions. So both operating systems can access files.

I found QEMU to be a bit too slow.

Collapse -
how do i install 2 OS on my computer e.g, ubuntu and winXp
by ayoosas / December 9, 2008 3:19 AM PST

pls lead me

Collapse -
how do i install 2 OS on my system
by ayoosas / December 9, 2008 3:47 AM PST

my system is 3gig ram, 250gig hard drive......... presently using winXp, but wanna install ubuntu 8.0 version...... how do patition them on my HD?

Collapse -
Install inside windows
by daffy1998 / August 6, 2010 3:00 AM PDT

Login to windows and put in the ubuntu boot disk (i have v10.04), and you should see a white box, in there is a button that sais "Install inside Windows", click that, choose your settings (Leave the installation size alone, and it NEEDS a password) and click "Install", let it install, then restart. When it starts up you should see a selection between windows and ubuntu, press the down arrow key to select ubuntu, then press enter, then press enter again to go to ubuntu. Ubuntu should then finish the installation, after that it will restart. You will have 30 seconds to choose ubuntu, after the 30 seconds it will login to windows. Every time you restart, it will ask you if you want to run in windows or ubuntu. To uninstall ubuntu, put the boot disk back in, click "Install inside Windows" and then "Uninstall", or go to "Add or Remove Programs", find ubuntu in that list, click it, and click "Change/Remove", and then click "Uninstall".

Collapse -
how can i install a second operating sytem on my pc
by faahdil / April 2, 2009 4:36 PM PDT

plzzzzzzzzzzz help me i don`t know how to install a second operating system on my pc without bootnig from a cd.....plzzzzzzzzz help me i have downloaded the second os n i do not have a cd writer.......plz if u know how to do this, answer to me as quick as possible or send me an email at

Collapse -
Re: second OS
by Kees Bakker / April 2, 2009 5:12 PM PDT

What is that second OS? And what is the first?

And why do you want 2 OS'es?

Collapse -
double booting
by HMR.HERATH / August 31, 2010 3:48 AM PDT

how can i install windows XP on my computer which has already has Vista OS.

Collapse -
Possible but dont try
by mnishanthreddy / August 31, 2010 2:30 PM PDT

Hi Popi

You can install two OS in one computer.But it reduces RAM,Hard Disk.If you install two OS programmes open very slowly.But If you have two rams you can definitely install two OS.

Collapse -
Not so.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 31, 2010 8:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Possible but dont try

Dual boot makes absolutely no difference to RAM usage, and software does not run more slowly simply because of dual booting.

Of course, if you install the 2nd OS onto a different partition on the same hard disk, then the hard disk space will reduce. But other than that there is no effect.

Besides which, why are you replying to a post that was made in 2006?

Collapse -
Having two rams?
by Kees Bakker / August 31, 2010 9:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Possible but dont try

What do you mean with THAT? Seems to miss any sense.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.